The Student Room Group

A/A* Revision Technique: Pomodoro Technique

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toy Soldiers
Yes! The earlier the better. Don't leave it last minute if you want to guarantee getting your expected grades. :smile:

how

many hours would you recommend? :biggrin:
Original post by IzzySuperman
In the rest period I have a drink, have a stretch or a piece of toast. Maybe set up different books or get my laptop charger. No problem!

5 mins is just far too short for me to get anything done :lol:
I have done about 3-4hours of science revising ny weakpoints while using this method now I plan to do 2hours citizenship and 2 hours Spanish while using pomodoro technique.
Original post by IzzySuperman
I'm a A/A* targeted student, and recently I have adopted the Pomodoro Technique and guys you really need to try it out. Research shows that our attention span drops dramatically after 30mins, so this technique is really good for boosting your grades. Before I started, I wasted probably hours every day procrastinating during my revision after getting bored. The technique is a fancy way of saying "take breaks" but I find it useful because it makes you work hard as you know you have a break coming up, and it seriously boosts productivity. For example, today I have studied:

50 mins of Geography.
25mins of religion.
50 mins of Chemistry.
25 mins of Music.
50 mins of Maths.
50 mins of German.
25 mins of English.
25 mins of Physics.
25 mins of Latin.
25 mins of History.

The technique is basically:

25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
20 mins rest

Repeat.

Sounds reasonable might change my revision schedule around this.

Another thing is that I started off with 25 minutes work then a break and I thought I wasn't getting enough done in that period. I moved it up to 30 minutes and I wasn't doing that much in the final 5 minutes. I was either watching the timer go down or just looking out the window waiting so i'll go back to 25 minute sessions as they seemed to be more productive compared to the 30 minutes
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by turn-to-page394
25 minutes - half of that time will be taken up just getting out all the stuff I need to revise that one subject so.... :colondollar:

you know!!!!!
I like too use a cute Chinese app on my iphone called FocusNow. The time is automatically set to 25 minutes and when I press start a tomato plant begins to grow. If I go on my phone during that time my tomato plant dies :smile::smile::smile:...

So I just revise one subject like biology for example over 2 hours and split it into 25 minutes work then 5 minute break grabbing a drink or snack or even tidying my small bit of my room then carry on with 25 minutes again and 5 minute break until i have cover atleast 2 hours of work not including my 5 minute break.

Hopefully that doesnt sound confusing...
Anyone actually got A* and A with the Pomodoro technique?

Quick Reply

Latest