The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
I have history on Monday as well. What topic are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the Cold War, think it's option E2? I hate it. That's the one part of history I can't learn.
Reply 381
Any tips on exam technique and how to structure an answer?
Original post by TM5
Any tips on exam technique and how to structure an answer?

Once you have decided on your question make sure you write a short introduction, addressing the keyword, such as describing 'obsession', 'supernatural' within Gothic fiction, or, if women then mention what the roles of women in the Gothic typically are. Then, you should be able to integrate that into a simple sentence, whether to a 'large extent' you agree or disagree basing on the text. Same goes for Section B, too! This will show the examiner that you know what the question is actually asking you; it also gives you some time to think about what you're going to write about.

For me, I am going to spend like two minutes writing bullet points for each paragraph I'm going to write in response to the question, this should then help you see how you can get your AO's in, assuming you know them all! As for exam technique, you must make sure to hit all your assessment objectives, but also ensure that you create a debate and offer interpretations.

For structure, start every paragraph in light of the question you are answering, so be able to create a direction of your argument; with this I would make sure to keep mentioning the keyword so I don't lose focus.

You may not have a lot of time, but make sure you try to get a conclusion in, particularly in section A! Whilst section B is still very important for a conclusion, it is very likely to run out of time on that section, so don't fret if you don't but do try! Likewise, your conclusion should not just obviously repeat everything of what you have written in the essay, the examiner should preferably take something new away. (Sorry if that's a bit vague!!)

Not sure what else to say, really! I hope it helps. :-) Have you not done any exam practices yet?
Good luck, everyone :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by S.Mundane
That's exactly what my teacher's been saying. Instead, she said just make sure you're talking about it from different critical perspectives (feminist, psychoanalytical, Marxist). So you should be the one acting like the critic.

Thank you! Our teachers have never taught to learn critical opinion and have never had bad results :smile:
Original post by alh03
Really? That's interesting because my teacher said it is part of the AOs, especially AO3 which wants you to explore connections and comparisons between different literary texts, informed byinterpretations of other readers.

Here is the website http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-LITB3-W-MS-JUN14.PDF on page 5, if you want to look at what the examiners are looking for :smile:

Surely you can just write 'From an alternative view, Frankenstein may not wish to usurp the role of women, but is in fact frightened by the sexual contact involved from a homoerotic reading of the novel." (EXAMPLE). That perfectly hits AO3 for 'alternative interpretations' as you have identified the key debate to be had.
Original post by northwestsixth
Thank you! Our teachers have never taught to learn critical opinion and have never had bad results :smile:

It's my teacher's first year teaching A2 English Lit but she knows what she's doing. She found something on youtube that talked about the Marxism feminism and psychoanalytical perspectives so since then, it's all we've been using. I haven't gotten lower than a band 5 with it so far, so it's a good thing :smile:
Reply 386
Original post by keels28
Once you have decided on your question make sure you write a short introduction, addressing the keyword, such as describing 'obsession', 'supernatural' within Gothic fiction, or, if women then mention what the roles of women in the Gothic typically are. Then, you should be able to integrate that into a simple sentence, whether to a 'large extent' you agree or disagree basing on the text. Same goes for Section B, too! This will show the examiner that you know what the question is actually asking you; it also gives you some time to think about what you're going to write about.

For me, I am going to spend like two minutes writing bullet points for each paragraph I'm going to write in response to the question, this should then help you see how you can get your AO's in, assuming you know them all! As for exam technique, you must make sure to hit all your assessment objectives, but also ensure that you create a debate and offer interpretations.

For structure, start every paragraph in light of the question you are answering, so be able to create a direction of your argument; with this I would make sure to keep mentioning the keyword so I don't lose focus.

You may not have a lot of time, but make sure you try to get a conclusion in, particularly in section A! Whilst section B is still very important for a conclusion, it is very likely to run out of time on that section, so don't fret if you don't but do try! Likewise, your conclusion should not just obviously repeat everything of what you have written in the essay, the examiner should preferably take something new away. (Sorry if that's a bit vague!!)

Not sure what else to say, really! I hope it helps. :-) Have you not done any exam practices yet?
Good luck, everyone :-)

Is it important to keep your argument consistent throughout the essay or do you have to acknowledge alternative viewpoints?
Original post by thelaughingsam
What can I write about for dark humour for Dr Faustus? I dont feel as if I have enough in my notes :frown: much appreciated if anyone wants to share some thoughts

I don't have many notes that relate to dark humour either, but don't worry! Just think of moments that may be considered funny:

-Appearance of Mephistopheles (Tells him to 'return and change thy shape,/ thou art too ugly to attend on me'.) Funny because he returns as an 'old Franciscan friar', which is a nice little poke at Catholic Church for contemporary audience, its funny for modern cause of the adverb 'too'. Argument to be had is whether it is funny. Shows Faustus to be naive (Gothic protagonist) as what did he expect the devil to look like; he has waved 'divinity, adieu' as he claims his intelligence has exceeded this, when he doesn't even know what the devil will look like!

-Papal scene. Dark humour as Marlowe blurs the boundaries (Gothic feature) between Church and devil. Faustus 'hits him a box on the ear', contemporary would laugh as Pope was seen as evil, but it is interesting because it makes the devil appear in a good light. Less noticeable to modern, who would laugh at humility of sacred figure such as the Pope.

-Could talk about his use of magic as pointless. He summons the grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt, in some interpretations from under dress (AO3). Yet still refers to them both as 'My gracious sovereign'. At the beginning of the play, he desires 'omnipotence', and at this point towards the climax he really hasn't achieved. He holds power, but fals like the typical Gothic villain.

There is probably a lot more you could discuss, but I have just woken up so :smile:
It's my teacher's first year teaching A2 English Lit but she knows what she's doing. She found something on youtube that talked about the Marxism feminism and psychoanalytical perspectives so since then, it's all we've been using. I haven't gotten lower than a band 5 with it so far, so it's a good thing :smile:

Our teacher has taught for years but she's brill, especially with the homoerotic reading of Frankenstein :smile:
Our teacher has taught for years but she's brill, especially with the homoerotic reading of Frankenstein :smile:

Oh wow, that's something new for me. Like, I've heard about it for the great Gatsby but never Frankenstein. make s a bit of sense actually.
Original post by TM5
Is it important to keep your argument consistent throughout the essay or do you have to acknowledge alternative viewpoints?

AO1 (Question focus) has to be consistent...learnt that through my mock XD Just include a sentence at the start of your paragraph and a sentence at the end on how your point links with the question being answered. That allows you to explore alternative view points, e.g 2014 question on Faustus was "He is a Gothic victim rather than a Gothic heroine". So you'd say something like "Rather than being a Gothic victim, Faustus conforms further to the Gothic villain due to the threat he poses to himself." :smile:
Original post by TM5

Definitely wouldn't get you in the higher mark bands if you keep your argument completely one-sided. If you offer alternative viewpoints that would be great, and 'interpretations' is actually one of the assessment objectives so it's really important. So, although you might agree to a large extent with a view, you should most definitely say, for example: 'However, it can also be argued that...'.
I think the conclusion is a good opportunity to voice your actual opinion though!
Original post by keels28
Definitely wouldn't get you in the higher mark bands if you keep your argument completely one-sided. If you offer alternative viewpoints that would be great, and 'interpretations' is actually one of the assessment objectives so it's really important. So, although you might agree to a large extent with a view, you should most definitely say, for example: 'However, it can also be argued that...'.
I think the conclusion is a good opportunity to voice your actual opinion though!

It's best to voice your actual argument in the introduction so that the examiner knows exactly what you're talking about.

Yes, talk about different viewpoints but try and have one counterargument. That way, you're proving something wrong and it's a form of evaluation in a way because you're picking out the good and bad.
Oh wow, that's something new for me. Like, I've heard about it for the great Gatsby but never Frankenstein. make s a bit of sense actually.

Yeah, well if you think of monster as his doppelgänger, he kills all the women (indirectly Justine), Victor destroys the female monster cause he can't bear heterosexual relationships. His obsession with Clerval is interesting, and when he dies he is far more upset than when Elizabeth dies, and the fact Clerval is killed by the monster reveals it as a submissive desire that can never come to fruition. Of course you can argue that this wasn't unusual for male-male relationships to be portrayed like this during Shelley's context (Romanticism etc) but its an interpretation after all :smile:
Yeah, well if you think of monster as his doppelgänger, he kills all the women (indirectly Justine), Victor destroys the female monster cause he can't bear heterosexual relationships. His obsession with Clerval is interesting, and when he dies he is far more upset than when Elizabeth dies, and the fact Clerval is killed by the monster reveals it as a submissive desire that can never come to fruition. Of course you can argue that this wasn't unusual for male-male relationships to be portrayed like this during Shelley's context (Romanticism etc) but its an interpretation after all :smile:

That's really good. A very good point to use as a counterargument if something to do with women comes up.
That's really good. A very good point to use as a counterargument if something to do with women comes up.

That's the plan I hope! Although the character presentation one would be a great question for me haha
Original post by keels28
Yep, I said about the introduction bit earlier; should have said that again!
I agree, in my essays I always put my opinion first as to suggest that is MY opinion, then go on to say 'It can however, be argued that...' within the same paragraph after my opinion... Is that a correct way of 'structuring' interpretations/argument?

I think it's stronger when you give your opinion afterwards because it looks like you're a) being critical of their opinion and b) evaluating it.

I've put up an example for section a last night. Read that and I think you'll get what I mean.
That's the plan I hope! Although the character presentation one would be a great question for me haha

Anything to do with characters would be amazing! It's come up every year in section b so I'm hoping it does again. I can talk about it much more clearly for Frankenstein and Macbeth. Wuthering Heights is what I plan to use for section A.
Section B essay, 33/40 which is a high band 5. I've also pointed out what I would do to improve the essay and get a band 6. Hope this is helpful :smile:
Anything to do with characters would be amazing! It's come up every year in section b so I'm hoping it does again. I can talk about it much more clearly for Frankenstein and Macbeth. Wuthering Heights is what I plan to use for section A.

It's perfect for all my texts so I can use any of them haha, plan to use any of them except Bloody Chamber in section A :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending