The Student Room Group

I would like 5-a-side football tips

Started playing recently and could do with some tips especially in certain scenarios.

eg.

1. Receiving the ball from the goalkeeper and all players ahead....sometimes there are no pass options on so its ok/good to dribble with ball to try and open things up?

2. Reverse of no1. Waiting for pass/ball when a player in defense has received the ball from the gk...sometimes im tightly marked...its ok to control ball back to goal then wait for pass option..or i should try spin round..? make runs etc?

Any other general tips?

And fitness tips?

I notice i get tired quick maybe i do to much? try attack then defend if lose ball non stop etc..maybe i should focus one aspect at time or one side of pitch at a time etc..
When there's no pass then just hoof the ball.
Reply 2
Original post by King Leonidas
When there's no pass then just hoof the ball.

reallly? not better to dribble and try it yourself
yeah, 5 a side drains you out quickly because there's a lot of bursting with pace. do high-intensity interval training at the track and you'll see dramatic improvements.
Reply 4
Original post by musicola
Started playing recently and could do with some tips especially in certain scenarios.

eg.

1. Receiving the ball from the goalkeeper and all players ahead....sometimes there are no pass options on so its ok/good to dribble with ball to try and open things up?

2. Reverse of no1. Waiting for pass/ball when a player in defense has received the ball from the gk...sometimes im tightly marked...its ok to control ball back to goal then wait for pass option..or i should try spin round..? make runs etc?

Any other general tips?

And fitness tips?

I notice i get tired quick maybe i do to much? try attack then defend if lose ball non stop etc..maybe i should focus one aspect at time or one side of pitch at a time etc..

All 3 problems can easily be solved by playing in goal.

But if you insist on doing things the hard way I can give you a couple of tips re your questions based on my personal experience of observing one my own teammates in 'action'.

1) If on receiving the ball from the goalie all your teammates are marked, hold your arms out wide and mutter an expletive under your breath.This should encourage one of them to make an extra special effort to disengage from their marker affording you the opportunity to feign a pass towards him while simultaneously kicking the ball past the nearest oncoming opponent.

Then kick the ball with great force towards the teammate nearest the opposing goal.

If he fails to control the ball( which he will most of the time) shake your head as if in exasperation and return to whence you came ready to tackle.

Every so often actually pass the ball to the teammate who has finally disengaged himself from his marker just to mix things up.

2) If you are being tightly marked while one of your teammates has the ball in a defensive position its never a good idea to 'spin round' or run too much as your teammates will expect you to do this all the time.

There will usually be a fitter person in the team who should be relied upon to run into space .Meanwhile your job is to use your bulk to effectively block your opponent from running past you should your teammates pass fail.

This is a very under estimated part of 5 a side football (according to the aforementioned teammate ).

Good luck

eg.

Any other general tips?

And fitness tips?

The answer to both your questions is movement and one touch play. I wouldn't take many risks as the last defender, and as an attacker waiting to receive the ball, I'd look to find the space. Look for the first time pass always and if your team mates aren't giving you options, then make them.
line up like this:

ST

CM CDM(have this player drop in deep as a second centre back if your original CB needs help) CM

CB

GK

Have one of your CM's act as a box to box player and have the other CM as a playmaker

make sure your ST drops back to defend aswell
Reply 7
Original post by scrawlx101
line up like this:

ST

CM CDM(have this player drop in deep as a second centre back if your original CB needs help) CM

CB

GK

Have one of your CM's act as a box to box player and have the other CM as a playmaker

make sure your ST drops back to defend aswell

You have 6 players there
Original post by difeo
You have 6 players there

oops...

ST

CM

CDM

CB

GK

In that case just line up like this?
Reply 9
Original post by scrawlx101
oops...

ST

CM

CDM

CB

GK

In that case just line up like this?

I'd say it's more like you have one CB who always stays back and 3 players who get up and down. It's a waste to have one guy standing upfront when you're defending
Original post by difeo
I'd say it's more like you have one CB who always stays back and 3 players who get up and down. It's a waste to have one guy standing upfront when you're defending

man would have a solid ST up that-usually when me and my lads play we have our strongest player aerially uptop-hes got good work rate like the rest of our team...naturally i fill in that CB spot on my ones,tough work sometimes when its me against 2 but i know when to charge and when not to :smile:

love 5 aside football!
Usually don't ever dribble if your last man because there's a chance you will loose the ball. If you are very good though, this should not be a problem. As for no passss available that's the fault of your team mates and not yours. Shout at them to make space and receive the ball.
Reply 12
acheers guys

any more tips
Reply 13

eg.

Any other general tips?

And fitness tips?

Look up some youtube videos or tactics of the sport futsal. A lot of it can be copied into 5 aside

Quick Reply

Latest