A Level Mathematics & Further Maths (AS&A2)

Watch
evaristegalois
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How hard is Maths and Further Maths in A level? I am on a B right now , but I'm determined and willing to work hard on my A level Maths and Further Maths (Maths a beautiful subject, I now see).

But I'm just wondering how hard is it? Do I need to work hard for it? Can anyone achieve A level Maths?

Also last question, in A Level Physics, what kind of Maths is involved:confused:? Easy or hard maths?
Answer all my questions as detailed please (Ahaa it's not an order, just my preference eheheh )

Thank you
aoxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
C1&2 are basically GCSE with some more bits chucked in.

C3 is a big shock after AS maths. C4 is slightly easier than C3.

Mechanics 1 is the only module that overlaps with Physics. The exam board has assume you don't do maths so when you have to find the areas under graphs you're supposed to count squares (I kid you not)

D1&2 are boring, wordy and rather easy.

FP1 is the only FM module I've done so far. It's ok, very different to normal maths. Imaginary numbers are ***** though.

It will depend on what exam board you're on though as the modules have different content depending on the board.
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
(Original post by aoxa)

Mechanics 1 is the only module that overlaps with Physics. The exam board has assume you don't do maths so when you have to find the areas under graphs you're supposed to count squares (I kid you not)

FP1 is the only FM module I've done so far. It's ok, very different to normal maths. Imaginary numbers are ***** though.

It will depend on what exam board you're on though as the modules have different content depending on the board.
So will all of C1,2,3,4 be one test?
How are the tests set out and what do they contain? :confused:
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
(Original post by aoxa)

And I'm doing the MEI exam board
aoxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by evaristegalois)
So will all of C1,2,3,4 be one test?
How are the tests set out and what do they contain? :confused:
They're all different modules, so different exams. For my exam board (AQA) they're all 1hr 30mins and are all on different days, all worth 75 marks.

At my college, and the norm, is to A level maths in your first year, then A level FM in the second.

Depending on what exam board you're on, all the modules will have different content.

C3&4 are the only module you can get an A* on. To get an A* overall, you need 90% UMS in C3&4, and 80% UMS across all the other modules (C1, C2, and 2 applied modules - these are the mechanics, statistics and decision modules)
khadjnnn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't done further maths so i can't give you much information about that but I've done maths AS and currently doing A2 maths.
Tbh in my opinion if you do subjects like bio and chem, maths is a lovely subject to basically relax in because the questions aren't wordy and you can just get on with it.

In terms of difficulty, so long as you put the effort into it and don't find it dreadful i think you'll be fine for it... dont let people scare you out of taking it. If you genuinely like maths and have the motivation for it, you should be okay for it!
Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing AS, C1,C2,S1 are PISS
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by evaristegalois)
How hard is Maths and Further Maths in A level? I am on a B right now , but I'm determined and willing to work hard on my A level Maths and Further Maths (Maths a beautiful subject, I now see).

But I'm just wondering how hard is it? Do I need to work hard for it? Can anyone achieve A level Maths?

Also last question, in A Level Physics, what kind of Maths is involved:confused:? Easy or hard maths?
Answer all my questions as detailed please (Ahaa it's not an order, just my preference eheheh )

Thank you
I'm doing it with AQA.
I think a lot of people can do A-level maths. Fewer can do both A-levels. The first A-level and a half is pretty easy, but it gets more difficult after that. FP2-4 and M3-5 are quite difficult.

Mostly at A-level it's just getting enough practise with the questions, doing lots of past paper practise. You might have to work hard for it, it depends on the individual.

Physics contains a lot of easy maths. There is a lot of overlap between physics and M1-2.
(Original post by aoxa)
Imaginary numbers are ***** though.
Have fun in the first half of FP2 then.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my experience AS Maths and Further Maths is fine, (depending on what modules in further). A2 is much more difficult, but not something that should discourage you. Depends on how your college/sixth form run further maths, if it's done alongside maths then you'll find maths really easy and further maths horrible. If it's run with maths in first year and further in second, then you'll find half the first year easy and probably half the second year too.

Imo, all maths modules seem easy relative to FP2 :P

Edit: forgot to answer last question. AS physics is all easy maths that you've been doing since GCSE really. A2 includes exponentials and logs but after AS maths that will seem easy too. Physics at A level is a lot more about understanding what you are doing rather than complex mathematics.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did AS and A2 Maths and Further Maths. It is not easy, and you do have to work hard, especially for FP2-3 and in some of the harder statistics or mechanics units. However, if you enjoy the subject you will succeed. Just expect to spend several hours a day on it.
SarahLund
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths:
C1 and C2 - yeah a bit like GCSE
C3 and C4 - a lot harder than AS, but once you get the gist of it it's not too bad. Integration is where I got frustrated in C4.
S1 - not that difficult but I struggled a little because I seriously hated it
M1 - Really quite basic (probably because I do M2). Comes more naturally to people doing Physics I noticed. I absolutely despise it, but it's fine!

Further Maths:
FP1 - straightforward and enjoyable. I love matrix algebra!
FP2 - gets more difficult, but some units are simple, like inequalities and series. Feels a lot easier once you've done FP3!
FP3 - intense, but very interesting. Vectors and Integration are awful for me, but more matrices!
D1 and D2 - D1 was wonderful! Super straightforward and helped me do well in Further Maths. D2 more challenging, but not that hard.
M2 - The hardest unit yet for me. I find a lot of the questions in the textbook are nothing like real exam ones. Forces and motion and applied maths, in general, just isn't my cup of tea.

The ones in bold are the optional units my school chose, so it may be different for you. I will say that with Further Maths, Maths will come a lot more easily to you because I learn things there before I do in regular maths. I suppose this only applies if you don't do the Maths A level in one year, followed by the Further Maths one the next like a lot of schools.
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
Did AS and A2 Maths and Further Maths. It is not easy, and you do have to work hard, especially for FP2-3 and in some of the harder statistics or mechanics units. However, if you enjoy the subject you will succeed. Just expect to spend several hours a day on it.
Ahaha thank you everyone, I'll keep this post pinned, for future reference and advice.
And pffftttt several hours, make that a dozen hours. Of course, I still have to focus on Physics and Chemistry.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
You find M5 and FP4 easy compared with FP2?
UT97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
In my experience AS Maths and Further Maths is fine, (depending on what modules in further). A2 is much more difficult, but not something that should discourage you. Depends on how your college/sixth form run further maths, if it's done alongside maths then you'll find maths really easy and further maths horrible. If it's run with maths in first year and further in second, then you'll find half the first year easy and probably half the second year too.

Edit: forgot to answer last question. AS physics is all easy maths that you've been doing since GCSE really. A2 includes exponentials and logs but after AS maths that will seem easy too. Physics at A level is a lot more about understanding what you are doing rather than complex mathematics.
FP2 is easily my favourite module, i think it's great!
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
Hmmm I might have to inquire whether if they do Maths in the first year then further in the 2nd.
But I really enjoy maths, and I want to become amazing at it, if not, above average good. Hopefully when I get to college, i'm not on slacking off mode, and I actually have the drive ahaahhaha.
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
I shall be zeh' new evariste galois!
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
You find M5 and FP4 easy compared with FP2?
Lucky enough not to ever have had to do those only goes up to fp3 on my exam board (edexcel)

Tbh I think I'd have preferred to do another mechanics module instead of s2 though. Only done m1 and m2 but definitely my favourite area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
This is my plan I devised for A Levels, and hopefully I stick with it.

During the summer, I might study a bit of C1 and C2, maybe even C3 once in a while (so that I'm ahead, and find it easier).
Then when college starts, I will study every until I finish every topic (same for other courses).

Then once that's done I can start on past paper questions and try and answer them (loads of past papers), so that I can get used to the question structure, exam paper, how the questions are asked, and what kind of questions will be asked.
evaristegalois
Rep:
?
Also last question will stuff like (0.2)^-2 be a C1 question?
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UT97)
FP2 is easily my favourite module, i think it's great!
I find it okay but definitely most difficult one I do. I just need to do loads of work on it, just my procrastination levels seem to reach record highs when I do fp2

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.2%
Less motivated (92)
74.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise