The Student Room Group

Is organic chemistry needed for Medicine in the UK?

I dont see the pre-req anywhere for any of the medical schools. If I can avoid it, I will. Is it needed for any Med.School in the UK?
It will depend what other subjects you are doing really.

Since I've never heard of organic chemistry a level, is it safe to assume your are an international applicant? (apologies if not!)
I am international, what does "a level" mean? I keep hearing all this terminology i am not familiar with :tongue:. I am doing a biology degree right now in Canada. Also do you know what 2:1 means? And AS/BS level?

Thanks THL :smile:
Original post by WhiteAndNeurdy
I am international, what does "a level" mean? I keep hearing all this terminology i am not familiar with :tongue:. I am doing a biology degree right now in Canada. Also do you know what 2:1 means? And AS/BS level?

Thanks THL :smile:

Its a qualification you gain at 17-18 normally. The old system that you used to sit AS exams after the first year and culminate in A levels after the second. Most students do 4 AS and 3A2 (second year of a levels). http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/parents/alevels/

2:1 is a classification of degree. So its like your GPA. It goes 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, with first being the best. The grade boundaries vary between universities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Many universities want some degree of chemistry but not all. Have a look at the medicine wiki, whilst its not really aimed at internationals it gives you a starting point http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine Additionally most uni websites will lay out their requirements for international students.
2:1 is the degree classification for an undergraduate degree. Most UK undergraduate degrees are classified as 1st, 2nd (split into 2:1 and 2:2, 2:1 is better) and 3rd class.

A-level is the UK high school qualification at 18. It is taken over 2 years, at the end of the first year students get an AS qualification, if they continue it for the second year they obtain an A-level (also called A2). You take an A-level in each individual subject. Most students take 3 A-levels and an extra AS.

I've never heard of a BS qualification.

You're no doubt aware that medicine in the UK is mainly an undergraduate degree that can be started straight after high school, although there are also options to do it as a graduate.
Great, thanks for all the information.

Do you guys know if going in as a graduate international is easier than going in as a highschool international student?

Do you guys know if going in as a graduate international is easier than going in as a highschool international student?

It depends if you're applying for graduate entry or not. I don't think many four years courses accept international students (not too sure about this, you'd have to check with each uni) and I don't know if you would be considered separately to high school international students. Either way it's still highly competitive because the numbers are limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

If you are currently doing an undergrad degree then check GEM (Graduate Entry for Medicine) options for postgrads

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/Graduate.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
It depends if you're applying for graduate entry or not. I don't think many four years courses accept international students (not too sure about this, you'd have to check with each uni) and I don't know if you would be considered separately to high school international students. Either way it's still highly competitive because the numbers are limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi ForestCat, I have attached the requirements for the Medical school in the UK for international applicants. A lot of the language I don't really understand (I assume the majority of the requirements are for highschool students).
Original post by jneill
If you are currently doing an undergrad degree then check GEM (Graduate Entry for Medicine) options for postgrads

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/Graduate.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, I will check it out. Thanks!
Hi ForestCat, I have attached the requirements for the Medical school in the UK for international applicants. A lot of the language I don't really understand (I assume the majority of the requirements are for highschool students).

To be honest you're best going to each uni's website and checking what they say about international applicants (they'll often give required qualifications from numerous countries).
BS level?

Unfortunately I think you're born with that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by nexttime
A very important factor in life I'd say.

Unfortunately I think you have to be born with it.

PRSOM.

I just spat out my milkshake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending