tyrese_98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have FINALLY decided on my A level choices (french, law, business, financial studies) and would like any information on a level french from any past/current students Anything from difficulty, workload, pros and cons

I'm predicted a B at GCSE french but Im confident i'll get an A. I want to study international business in uni with french and either take the GDL to begin a legal career or an MBA. I will need a B at LEAST in a level french for any joint honours language & business course so if a level french is EXTREMELY difficult i might reconsider...
Thanks
leahdw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found in AS that as long as I kept on top of the vocab (there is quite a lot) and grammar (which is very important for essays, and AQA (and possibly some other boards, but I don't know) has a section of the exam dedicated to adjectives and verbs) it will be OK.

For A2, the jump was harder for me, since it focuses on completely different areas, but it got a lot more interesting; we've had class debates, an amazing trip to the region we're studying, the topics are more interesting for me (science, law and order, multicultural society including immigration, discrimination and integration...)

Obviously other people's experiences will be different, and it is a challenging A Level, but I found that if you are organised and can keep on top of grammar and vocab, it's not too difficult.
enyav
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tyrese_98)
I have FINALLY decided on my A level choices (french, law, business, financial studies) and would like any information on a level french from any past/current students Anything from difficulty, workload, pros and cons

I'm predicted a B at GCSE french but Im confident i'll get an A. I want to study international business in uni with french and either take the GDL to begin a legal career or an MBA. I will need a B at LEAST in a level french for any joint honours language & business course so if a level french is EXTREMELY difficult i might reconsider...
Thanks
Firstly, a B or an A won't cut it for a level french, you need to push for an A* if you are even going to consider A level french and even then you will be lost for the first few weeks. If you have a genuine interest in the language then you will get an A* regardless of whether you know what you are doing at GCSE level.
tyrese_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by leahdw)
I found in AS that as long as I kept on top of the vocab (there is quite a lot) and grammar (which is very important for essays, and AQA (and possibly some other boards, but I don't know) has a section of the exam dedicated to adjectives and verbs) it will be OK.

For A2, the jump was harder for me, since it focuses on completely different areas, but it got a lot more interesting; we've had class debates, an amazing trip to the region we're studying, the topics are more interesting for me (science, law and order, multicultural society including immigration, discrimination and integration...)

Obviously other people's experiences will be different, and it is a challenging A Level, but I found that if you are organised and can keep on top of grammar and vocab, it's not too difficult.
Thanks for the reply, I purposely chose two other less difficult a levels so i could focus on my French studies, by the sounds of it as long as i keep up with work ill do alright
tyrese_98
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlohaEloise)
Hi!
French has always been challenging for me but I love it all the same. I got an A for my French GCSE and I'm currently in A2 studying French, Drama and English Literature and I have to say for me personally, French is the hardest. Despite this, I don't think the workloads are unmanageable I'd say there more of a test of time management. So long as you use free periods productively and do efficient amounts each weak there shouldn't be any problems.

One thing I find challenging are the exams, of course! So, my advice would be to do as many past papers as you can so you can get enough practice. They'll also help you to find out whether you have a weakness/strength out of listening, reading and writing so you can work on them. Speaking exams are my personal strength even though they terrify me, I cannot stress enough that you prep, prep, prep. Make sure it is all learnt properly before the day so you know everything you're saying but don't go over it so many times that you sound like a robot - examiners (for AQA) want a discussion not a monologue.

There is a lot of vocab to learn but I've found a good website that can really help with learning it called quizlet.com where you basically fill in your vocab and the site sees if you can remember the French/English of the words you've put in.

Sorry this has been really jumbled up but I have one final tip: any useful phrases that your teacher may say, make sure you write them down and learn them. Examiners love it when you use what is considered 'high quality french' such as the subjunctive, passive and idioms.

Hope I've helped
This has helped a lot thanks!! I'll check out he website it might help me with my gcse french exam next month. In the speaking exams do you have set questions like in gcse or is it random ones from the examiner?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (7)
15.91%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
25%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (3)
6.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (6)
13.64%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (15)
34.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads