The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Personal Statement: LSE Econs & LSE Math and Econs

Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much! :smile:
Did you really need to make the same post 4 times in separate threads as well as starting this thread?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
To answer your questions:-
1) Write a PS that is unique and personal to you making sure that you show your passion for your chosen subject, why you want to study it and what you will do with it. I applied to 5 Universities without making my PS specific to any of them and I had offers from all 5 including LSE & UCL.
2) No it is not true.
3) I would advise against applying for two courses from the same department.
4) You will only ever get one offer from a Uni even if you applied for 5 courses there.
5) If you have done your research, this is a question that you need not ask.
Reply 3
jemmy

where is your thanks?
Reply 4
Original post by JamjamjamT
To answer your questions:-
1) Write a PS that is unique and personal to you making sure that you show your passion for your chosen subject, why you want to study it and what you will do with it. I applied to 5 Universities without making my PS specific to any of them and I had offers from all 5 including LSE & UCL.
2) No it is not true.
3) I would advise against applying for two courses from the same department.
4) You will only ever get one offer from a Uni even if you applied for 5 courses there.
5) If you have done your research, this is a question that you need not ask.

Great thank you very much!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AQUF42
jemmy

where is your thanks?

sorry for the late response :frown:
Reply 6
:smile:
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending