The Student Room Group

What exactly is an employment reference?

I could obtain "letter of confirmation" from my previous employer and my university which would confirm that I was indeed there and not lying on my CV, buy they will only give dates and salary confirmation.

Nobody is going to write me a specific "letter of recommendation" as nobody knows me (or liked me well enough). I go to work for the money, not to suck up to a manager so he writes me a nice reference when I leave. I guess I am old-fashioned in that regard.

So now when I apply for jobs, do I need to accept that it's not worth applying for any job that requires a professional reference?

Are most people's references just dates of confirmation (i.e. my employer doesn't give proper references and I stayed there for years!) or have I really ****** my chances up? I have a checkable work history, just no personal references.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Most organisations will only provide a standard reference that will confirm your employment dates and job title. Some way explain any disciplinary matters if relevant, but very few will detail "performance" or give a character reference for fear of legal reprecussions, either from the ex-employee or the future employer.

So in short, don't worry about it.

Ok, thanks, but I am trying to train to teach English abroad and then apply for jobs in China etc.

I highly doubt standard references (which is all I can get) will suffice. Oh well. ANother dream over. :confused:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Nobody is going to write me a specific "letter of recommendation" as nobody knows me (or liked me well enough).

I go to work for the money, not to suck up to a manager so he writes me a nice reference when I leave. I guess I am old-fashioned in that regard.

Most academics write references without specifically remembering vast swathes of personal information about the student. Just ask people for a reference - don't pre-judge what they will do.

What you describe there 'going to work for the money, not to suck up to a manager' is not old-fashioned, it is in a very modern construct, and very naive. Relationships are the key to successful employment, and in 'the olden days' references from someone else was one of the key ways to get a job.
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't be so dismissive or defeatist.

You really don't know what each employers expectations are. There are plenty that never even follow up on references.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know. I'm just deflated because I applied for a job in a summer school at my old uni from June-Sep (Brunel :wink:), and the application process was so highbrow that I knew I shouldn't even be bothering. I obviously don't have a problem working with kids etc, but I thought there might be lesser jobs available rather than only jobs that need 2 professional references (character refs from family friends don't count).
Original post by J-SP
You are making too many assumptions. Why do you think your previous/current employer would give an unsatisfactory reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked there for years but sick and tired of being bullied by my manager I just handed in my notice - and gave them 3 weeks notice instead of 4.

They never said anything at the time (my manager didn't even acknowledge that I handed in my notice) but they COULD play hardball and say that I broke my contract by leaving early.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I worked there for years but sick and tired of being bullied by my manager I just handed in my notice - and gave them 3 weeks notice instead of 4.

They never said anything at the time (my manager didn't even acknowledge that I handed in my notice) but they COULD play hardball and say that I broke my contract by leaving early.

So what? That's not something that is immediately going to worry a new employer. They are interested in how you did work, not how you quit work, so it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

You do seem to be aiming for jobs in education, where references can be treated a bit differently in the UK. Employment reference for UK jobs do tend to be taken up during the interview process and not always just when the favoured candidate has been made an offer subject to references. But other than that, employers usually only take up references for the successful candidate and just want something that doesn't completely undermine their already formed opinion about you.
My old job will only give dates and my role (on headed paper) and also won't allow my shop managers to give me a character reference (even if they want to) but this is due to previous legal issues when giving references.

To be fair, they also can't give you a bad reference (legally) so don't worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophi12
My old job will only give dates and my role (on headed paper) and also won't allow my shop managers to give me a character reference (even if they want to) but this is due to previous legal issues when giving references.To be fair, they also can't give you a bad reference (legally) so don't worry about that. Posted from TSR Mobile

As the previous poster states. Employers can give out a bad reference when they can back what they state as true.

However you're right in the sense that a employer can't give out a bad false reference.

Quick Reply