Is it practical to take a car or to drive during the first year of uni?

Watch
gtashilewi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am planning to go to Warwick or Exeter (campus unis) in September (fingers crossed) and have recently passed my driving test and am looking to get a car.
Luckily, my parents are planning on buying my car and paying for the insurance, so running costs aren't a big issue for me.
I just wanted to ask if it is practical to drive whilst at uni especially first year. I was told it can be useful for getting home (Both uni's are quite far away) and also for things like shopping. Right now, I would really benefit from having a car but September is only a few months away and I wouldn't really want to leave a car at home.

So I am basically asking,
Would it be worth getting one and driving whilst at uni? And is it very rare for people to?
soanonymous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's handy, but it's not entirely necessary, especially as they're both campus unis, so whichever you end up at, would usually have everything you need within walking distance.
Parking is also an option, at my uni, if you lived on campus, you couldn't park a car in the car park, you had to get a permit etc etc, it was a pain.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gtashilewi)
I am planning to go to Warwick or Exeter (campus unis) in September (fingers crossed) and have recently passed my driving test and am looking to get a car.
Luckily, my parents are planning on buying my car and paying for the insurance, so running costs aren't a big issue for me.
I just wanted to ask if it is practical to drive whilst at uni especially first year. I was told it can be useful for getting home (Both uni's are quite far away) and also for things like shopping. Right now, I would really benefit from having a car but September is only a few months away and I wouldn't really want to leave a car at home.

Would it be worth getting one and driving whilst at uni? And is it very rare for people to?
Why pay for something that sits idle rotting in a car park and depreciating most of the time?

Apart from the cost of underused insurance, tax, maintenance, etc.

If you don't have a car, it simply means you need to plan a bit more in advance. Parents are great for getting you to and from home - that's what they are for!
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Literally zero benefit to having a car in first year at warwick, you'll have to walk further to the carpark (which is expensive and always full) than to anywhere on campus you'll need to go depending on which accommodation you're in. Second year I know people who drove but first year it creates unnecessary hassle. Won't help for shopping because the car park is the same distance to the shops and accessing accommodation by car isn't easy.
gtashilewi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Wahrheit)
Literally zero benefit to having a car in first year at warwick, you'll have to walk further to the carpark (which is expensive and always full) than to anywhere on campus you'll need to go depending on which accommodation you're in. Second year I know people who drove but first year it creates unnecessary hassle. Won't help for shopping because the car park is the same distance to the shops and accessing accommodation by car isn't easy.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking it might just be better to drive during my second year instead
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking it might just be better to drive during my second year instead
There may be some benefit in your second year, obviously the downside would be cost (parking, petrol, other car expenses) compared to a bus card. Also I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a spot, this might mean that you need to arrive at campus earlier even if your lectures start later. But I've never driven a car into uni so I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some unis don't allow first years in hall to have cars; so check this out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.17%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.34%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (40)
25.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed