Gemini29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I have an overpayment on my account of £1160.10. I have been told this is being taken off my April installment, which will cause me a £800 shortfall when it comes to paying my accommodation payment.

I have been passed through so many people and have ended up being told to contact the discretionary payments team about finding a way for the overpayment to be deducted from my entitlement next year so as to spread the cost. Or even for a direct debit to be set up?

I'm so confused with what to do because I've been told so many different things! I'm not going to be able to pay my accommodation unless the overpayment is taken away from the upcoming April installment which is is so worrying!

Can I please check that the Discretionary Payments team are indeed the correct people to now be in touch with?

Thankyou!
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there.

Discretionary payments are the team who deal with the deferral of over-payments so it is them who you will need to write to yes. They will need evidence of hardship such as bank statements and any obligations you face. Their address is:

Discretionary Payments Team
Student Finance England
Memphis Building
Lingfield Point
PO Box 120
Darlington
DL1 1AS

Thanks.
Brillbill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

How do I apply for discretionary payments through suspension for medical reasons. I am in financial hardship.
Thank you
Gemini29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

Write to the above address with 3 months' worth of bank statements, any evidence of your situation that you have and copies of your accommodation contract/payment schedule. Write a cover letter with as much detail of your situation as you can.

They don't have a phone number you can call, but they put notes on your account that Student Finance can see so you can call Student Finance to see where you are in the processing.

Hope this helps!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Brillbill.

First of all I'd recommend calling us on 0300 100 0607 to check if your college/uni has advised us your suspension is due to health. If they have we can automatically apply a 60-day extension to your suspension date so in some cases this can eliminate any overpayment immediately.

To request funding extended further that has to be done as stated above in writing.

Thanks
29RissaRissa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How long does it take to receive a decision once the discretionary payments team have all information? I've had a loan overpayment where £2000 has been taken off my next payment, it's quite a hefty deduction.
I've been waiting for over 6 weeks, they emailed me 2 days ago asking for a bank statement for the last month, I sent it to them the same day.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 29RissaRissa)
How long does it take to receive a decision once the discretionary payments team have all information? I've had a loan overpayment where £2000 has been taken off my next payment, it's quite a hefty deduction.
I've been waiting for over 6 weeks, they emailed me 2 days ago asking for a bank statement for the last month, I sent it to them the same day.
Hi,

We do not have a specific time scale for our discretionary payments team, the team work the evidence as quickly as possible.

Thanks.
Bones Doyle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HelloI have to retake the 2nd semester of my 3rd year due to health reasons. I was advised to apply for discretionary payment as I needed financial support between September and January. I was hoping I could receive maintenance loan and grant for the first half of the year. January is when I start my course officially. I sent of all evidence, the application and a letter written by a financial advisor at my university explaining my situation. The next I heard from SFE was telling me they had received my application. The day after this I checked my account and I had payments scheduled from September throughout the whole academic year. The only problem is that I need to register at my university in order to get these payments yet admin is telling me I can't do this until January which is when I am retaking. I spoke to SFE several times, the first time not helpful, the second time I was told to wait until the expected date in which the money is scheduled and see if my money goes in without enrolling on my course yet the guy seemed to think it was not so likely. I don't know what to do as I need that money in order to live. Any help would be massively appreciated.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bones Doyle)
HelloI have to retake the 2nd semester of my 3rd year due to health reasons. I was advised to apply for discretionary payment as I needed financial support between September and January. I was hoping I could receive maintenance loan and grant for the first half of the year. January is when I start my course officially. I sent of all evidence, the application and a letter written by a financial advisor at my university explaining my situation. The next I heard from SFE was telling me they had received my application. The day after this I checked my account and I had payments scheduled from September throughout the whole academic year. The only problem is that I need to register at my university in order to get these payments yet admin is telling me I can't do this until January which is when I am retaking. I spoke to SFE several times, the first time not helpful, the second time I was told to wait until the expected date in which the money is scheduled and see if my money goes in without enrolling on my course yet the guy seemed to think it was not so likely. I don't know what to do as I need that money in order to live. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Hi Bones Doyle

When the University ot College submits the health suspension COC to us an additional 60 days of funding will be awarded automatically.

Continued payment through a period of suspension, for students who suspended due to ill health and this has left them in financial hardship - full payment through a suspension can be considered in very exceptional circumstances if it's due to ill health.

I advise you to give us a call to check what you have been awarded.

You can call us on

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona
KSHU6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
HiNot sure if this thread is still going or not. I was wondering what I need to do to contact the discretionary payments team regarding studying abroad. I have already applied for SFE and confirmed that I am studying abroad for the Spring and Summer terms of 2019. They initially sent me an email stating that I would receive my loan in two equal 50% instalments, which would be perfect. Later, they emailed back telling me to disregard that information and that I would receive my instalments at 33% and 67% because I'm not abroad in the first term. However, there are lots of upfront costs to studying abroad (such as airfare, visas, accommodation at host uni) and so I would struggle to cover all of that with the 33%.I have been told to contact the discretionary payments team to see if they can help in any way. What would I need to do to start up this conversation?Thanks
Grant SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,

We would need you to complete our Financial Hardship form, this would need to be requested.

You can request this by either messaging us on Facebook/Twitter or by contacting us on 0300 100 0607.

Kind Regards
Grant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads