rm_27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
''Saturated fats are thought to decrease the activity of LDL receptors, Therefore, as blood LDL concentration rises, less is removed from the blood and more LDL will be deposited in the artery wall.

^^ What does this mean? Don't understand!
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rm_27)
''Saturated fats are thought to decrease the activity of LDL receptors, Therefore, as blood LDL concentration rises, less is removed from the blood and more LDL will be deposited in the artery wall.

^^ What does this mean? Don't understand!
This is a very basic explanation. LDL receptors are found on liver cells, and they are activated by circulating LDL in the blood. When LDL receptors are activated by LDL, this causes the LDL molecule and the receptor to be brought into the liver cell from the blood. This therefore means that the more active LDL receptors you have, the more LDL will be taken out of the blood and into liver cells. So, if you eat loads of saturated fats, the activity of LDL receptors is decreased, meaning that fewer LDL molecules will be removed from the blood, and more LDL will remain in the blood. This will cause LDL to be deposited in the walls of the blood vessels (primarily arteries) and cause a build up of fatty material on the artery walls, known as an atheroma. The more LDL you have in the blood, the more the fatty material will build up on the artery walls, and will eventually cause a blockage, meaning that oxygenated blood will not be supplied to cells supplied by that artery, and therefore, those cells will die.

Hope this helps!
rm_27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
This is a very basic explanation. LDL receptors are found on liver cells, and they are activated by circulating LDL in the blood. When LDL receptors are activated by LDL, this causes the LDL molecule and the receptor to be brought into the liver cell from the blood. This therefore means that the more active LDL receptors you have, the more LDL will be taken out of the blood and into liver cells. So, if you eat loads of saturated fats, the activity of LDL receptors is decreased, meaning that fewer LDL molecules will be removed from the blood, and more LDL will remain in the blood. This will cause LDL to be deposited in the walls of the blood vessels (primarily arteries) and cause a build up of fatty material on the artery walls, known as an atheroma. The more LDL you have in the blood, the more the fatty material will build up on the artery walls, and will eventually cause a blockage, meaning that oxygenated blood will not be supplied to cells supplied by that artery, and therefore, those cells will die.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much!!
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rm_27)
Thank you very much!!
No problems - this is a reason why eating too many saturated fats is bad for you - it could lead to events like a heart attack, which is where there has been a reduced supply of oxygenated blood to some bits of the heart muscle, causing it to die.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.13%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (99)
21.2%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise