Does college guarantees a life full of limitations? Watch

ahmshere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone, I hope you will have the patience to read about my beliefs about college and career and try to help me to solve my biggest dillema : the question from the title.
My dream is to have my own restaurant , financial freedom and enough money to travel around the world , but I don't know if college is the proper way for acomplishing this. I tried to focus on poker beacuse there are no limits. One can win at poker in just one night the money that another person would work for an entire year . But because of the greed , I've always lost my winnings at the same game, at the same place, to the same guys. If I will go to college , whatever I choose , my life will be full of limitations, taxes , fixed schedules all of those guarenteed ... While my dreams will get far away from me..I will work like a slave making others get righ while I become poorer. Aslo there are a lot of succesful people , highschool dropouts , who went beyond the limits that school offers and followed their dreams. I really don't know what path to choose , just tell me what do you believe , is college worth it ?
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ahmshere)
Hello everyone, I hope you will have the patience to read about my beliefs about college and career and try to help me to solve my biggest dillema : the question from the title.
My dream is to have my own restaurant , financial freedom and enough money to travel around the world , but I don't know if college is the proper way for acomplishing this. I tried to focus on poker beacuse there are no limits. One can win at poker in just one night the money that another person would work for an entire year . But because of the greed , I've always lost my winnings at the same game, at the same place, to the same guys. If I will go to college , whatever I choose , my life will be full of limitations, taxes , fixed schedules all of those guarenteed ... While my dreams will get far away from me..I will work like a slave making others get righ while I become poorer. Aslo there are a lot of succesful people , highschool dropouts , who went beyond the limits that school offers and followed their dreams. I really don't know what path to choose , just tell me what do you believe , is college worth it ?
I'm not sure if by college you actually mean college or university or whatever.

You should go to college/university, work part-time in a restaurant and then after you graduate either work for a short period of time and then start your own restaurant or do it from the get go.

If you go college and work for a bit first then you can pick up networks/contacts, learn how things are done and save some money in the process whilst maturing. Plus you have qualifications to fall back on.

Restaurants have some of the highest failure rates though but good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Onion Ring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
good luck seems like you don't want to accept the ****ty reality that we all live in
get_in_the_robot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that's what everyone wants.
Two years of bettering yourself in college isn't going to stop you achieving anything. It's 2 years out of approximately 70 left.
Gambling is a fool's game.
Whether you work for someone else or own your own business doesn't concern the taxman... you'll pay 'em whether you like it or not.
High-school dropouts who achieve highly are the exception to the rule... trust me.
I'm referencing English college, btw. I think you might be American. In which case no, college isn't needed, but the rest of what I said stands true.
Dimple1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are underestimating what can be got from your time at college, imagine your life as a restaurant owner not having learnt how to work with people, in a group, getting discipline (deliverables like assignments that you will need to do whilst you are working too, tax returns etc), how about the law and regulations, where to look for information, researching, that college life will show you how to do.

Definitely you are confident already but college I feel gives you that balance of when to be confident and humble also, you learn skills in how to talk to people.

Plus no guarantee with a restaurant it works out or not after you've invested heavily, you always have a plan b if you have a degree.
Dimple1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
About gambling I know about poker but how about another risky business...binary options. Again high stakes but when you win its big. Sometimes 91% what you have put down. The best way is to get a financial advisor, like a broker in stock options and he/she can advise you what's hot and go for it, try it with a grand (capital), and see. I got to talking with a broker recently and his saying he can make me £3,200 a month if I have £5,000 capital up front, I'm thinking of risking a grand and will update here, but to be honest I'm using my student loan to have fun with and not really thinking of after Uni, but like you definitely its better to think ahead to what the plan is a build a business after Uni. I've been talking about it for ages, and not actually doing it.
Username4647
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
title.
My dream is to have my own restaurant ,

I tried to focus on poker beacuse there are no limits. One can win at poker in just one night the money that another person would work for an entire year . But because of the greed ,

Aslo there are a lot of succesful people , highschool dropouts , who went beyond the limits that school offers and followed their dreams. I really don't know what path to choose , just tell me what do you believe , is college worth it ?
Most businesses fail within a few years, its a huge commitment which requires a lot of patience, hardwork and management. I would say go to college then aim for a restuarant? do hotel management as your degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (7)
12.96%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (4)
7.41%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (2)
3.7%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (9)