The Student Room Group

Dependant parents? HELP PLEASE

Hi there!

I've got a problem and I need clarification.

So I live at home with my mother and step father (married).

So I know you get given a certain amount of money dependant upon your household income. But my step dad has his own son to provide for and earns a lot of money per year and therefore this leaves me with little but nothing. I don't expect him to grant me money and nor will he which is why I believe its unfair and was wondering if there is anything I can do about it?

Also, I work part-time and was wondering if this factors in the amount I'm aloud? Thank you.
Unfortunately student finance does not take into account whether step parents are willing or able to contribute to your university education. They're just expected.

I don't think you working, especially as it is part time factors into it.

As for what you can do about it. Not much, you will either have to save up, get a job during term time or wait until you're old enough to not be declared as parental dependant on student finance.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Unfortunately student finance does not take into account whether step parents are willing or able to contribute to your university education. They're just expected.

I don't think you working, especially as it is part time factors into it.

As for what you can do about it. Not much, you will either have to save up, get a job during term time or wait until you're old enough to not be declared as parental dependant on student finance.

So my part-time job doesn't account for anything? I earn probably like 5k a year its only a weekend job.
Original post by CautiousCat
So my part-time job doesn't account for anything? I earn probably like 5k a year its only a weekend job.

I'm almost certain it doesn't, but you would get a more definitive answer if you call student finance and ask.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm almost certain it doesn't, but you would get a more definitive answer if you call student finance and ask.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest