In benzene, why are carbons 2,4 and 6 more susceptible to electrophillic substitutio?

Watch
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In benzene, why are carbons 2,4 and 6 more susceptible to electrophillic substitution?
thanks
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
In benzene, why are carbons 2,4 and 6 more susceptible to electrophillic substitution?
thanks
Heya, I'm going to put this in the chemistry forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
charliebe2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thanks
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, can you number the carbons on a benzene ring if it doesn't have a functional group?
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thanks
Only if there is an electron donating group or a halogen on the ring already... Benzene itself (as said above) cannot be numbered
charliebe2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by langlitz)
Only if there is an electron donating group or a halogen on the ring already... Benzene itself (as said above) cannot be numbered

Yeah, you only number when you have a relevant functional group, a good example of which would be phenol. I'm assuming that 2,4,6 become the most likely locations for substitutions as they will provide the most stable configuration.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charliebe2)
Yeah, you only number when you have a relevant functional group, a good example of which would be phenol. I'm assuming that 2,4,6 become the most likely locations for substitutions as they will provide the most stable configuration.
thanks
It's because of the of the increased stability of the transition state in these positions for a electron donating group (more resonance structures). Anything which can stabilise this carbocation will lower the energy of the transition state
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My guess is that the OP meant phenol rather than benzene.
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks so much guys, yeah sorry i meant phenol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (109)
59.89%
No (38)
20.88%
Not sure (35)
19.23%

Watched Threads