Turn on thread page Beta

AQA RS - Utilitarianism and Situation Ethics! Help and potential exam questions watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I am an AS student who is going to be sitting the AQA Rs exam in May. My sixth form is doing Utilitarianism and Situation ethics for unit 1.
    I would appreciate any help from previous As or current students in terms of notes how to structure the essay and how much to right in terms of pages.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have a huge amount of notes that I have made how ever I do not feel as if they are in as depth as they should be but if people would like to see them as extra help and notes I will kindly link them up on request. Also if you took the Rs exam last year what were the questions If you can remember.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need help with ethics?

My philosophy book has sold but ethics book is still on eBay for 99p!
    It really is a useful book: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1416354614...84.m1555.l2649

Topics covered:

- An intro to ethics
    - Absolutism and relativism
    - Natural moral law
    - Utilitarianism
    - Kant
    - Naturalism and intuitionism
    - Emotivism and prescriptivism
    - Determinism and free will
    - Situation ethics

- Religion and morality
    - Buddhist, Christian and Muslim ethics
    - Conscience
    - Secular ethics

- Sexual ethics and homosexuality
    - Abortion
    - IVF and embryo research
    - Euthanasia
    - Business ethics
    - Environmental ethics
    - Justice and punishment
    - War and peace
    - Rights: human and animal
    - Human cloning

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm an AS student doing the Philosophy and Ethics paper too.
    We did the June 2014 paper as our mock for Utilitarianism and Situation ethics.

The Utilitarianism Questions were:

Explain how both Bentham's Utilitarianism and Mill's Utilitarianism may be applied to one ethical issue of your choice. (Do not choose abortion or euthanasia) (A01 30 marks)

"Ending the pain of people who are suffering is more important than increasing the pleasure of people who are not in pain." Assess this view. (A02 15 marks)

And for Situation ethics...

Examine any four of Fletcher's six fundamental principles. (30 marker)

"From a Christian point of view, Situation Ethics does not offer an acceptable way of making moral decisions" Consider how far you agree. (15 marker)

I Hope this is useful to you. My teacher has predicted that possibly a question on the General Principles may come up or possibly a moral decision making Question based on Mill's utilitarian methods (Strong/Weak rule... Higher/lower pleasures)

I've decided to not do Situation Ethics, but instead the Euthanasia and Abortion topic for the exam along with Utilitarianism. So I don't know what could be coming up for that topic.

In terms of the structure... for the A01 (30 marks) Q, you should write a small intro that maybe gives a bit of background info depending on the question, and then expand on about 3/4 points fully (P.E.E) and then make sure you write a CONCLUSION!

for the A02 (15 marks) Q, decide whether you agree or disagree with the question. If you feel as though you don't have time to do an intro, it is ok. It isn't essential. but we were taught to do

ADA (agree, disagree, agree) + conclusion

or...

DAD
    (Disagree, agree, disagree) + conclusion

Hope this helps. I'm targeted a B for R.S overall, but I managed to get a B in my mocks, so hopefully will get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaotic.school)
    Heya, I'm an AS student doing the Philosophy and Ethics paper too.
    We did the June 2014 paper as our mock for Utilitarianism and Situation ethics.

The Utilitarianism Questions were:

Explain how both Bentham's Utilitarianism and Mill's Utilitarianism may be applied to one ethical issue of your choice. (Do not choose abortion or euthanasia) (A01 30 marks)

"Ending the pain of people who are suffering is more important than increasing the pleasure of people who are not in pain." Assess this view. (A02 15 marks)

And for Situation ethics...

Examine any four of Fletcher's six fundamental principles. (30 marker)

"From a Christian point of view, Situation Ethics does not offer an acceptable way of making moral decisions" Consider how far you agree. (15 marker)

I Hope this is useful to you. My teacher has predicted that possibly a question on the General Principles may come up or possibly a moral decision making Question based on Mill's utilitarian methods (Strong/Weak rule... Higher/lower pleasures)

I've decided to not do Situation Ethics, but instead the Euthanasia and Abortion topic for the exam along with Utilitarianism. So I don't know what could be coming up for that topic.

In terms of the structure... for the A01 (30 marks) Q, you should write a small intro that maybe gives a bit of background info depending on the question, and then expand on about 3/4 points fully (P.E.E) and then make sure you write a CONCLUSION!

for the A02 (15 marks) Q, decide whether you agree or disagree with the question. If you feel as though you don't have time to do an intro, it is ok. It isn't essential. but we were taught to do

ADA (agree, disagree, agree) + conclusion

or...

DAD
    (Disagree, agree, disagree) + conclusion

Hope this helps. I'm targeted a B for R.S overall, but I managed to get a B in my mocks, so hopefully will get an A.
    Hi,
    Im doing the AQA RS Unit RSS01 aswell...
    if your teacher predicts any possible questions on situation ethics, could you let us know please and if your teacher gives the mark scheme for the 2014 paper could you post it here, if you dont mind....?
    Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any example essays for RSS04 Design and Miracles. If so could you please send them to me please. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuana)
    Hi,
    Im doing the AQA RS Unit RSS01 aswell...
    if your teacher predicts any possible questions on situation ethics, could you let us know please and if your teacher gives the mark scheme for the 2014 paper could you post it here, if you dont mind....?
    Thanks in advance!!
    The June 2014 paper can be found on the AQA website now, so the mark scheme and examiner report is on there. Worth a look today.

ReputationRep:
    my teacher says that for situation ethics the question might be where we choose a topic other than abortion/euthanasia to apply to situation ethics.
    we learnt about legalisation of brothels

ReputationRep:
    How many sides of paper for part A and B do
    I need to write to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetvictorious)
    How many sides of paper for part A and B do
    I need to write to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    totally depends on your writing, I aim to spend 25 minutes on the 30 markers, 10 on the 15 and 5 mins to plan/check through. I have small writing and I usually do 3/4 a4 for 15, and 1+1/2 a4 for 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky123may)
    totally depends on your writing, I aim to spend 25 minutes on the 30 markers, 10 on the 15 and 5 mins to plan/check through. I have small writing and I usually do 3/4 a4 for 15, and 1+1/2 a4 for 30
    any predictions

ReputationRep:
    Hey what came up in r.s 2015 paper for utilitarianism and situation ethics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolkaze)
    Hey what came up in r.s 2015 paper for utilitarianism and situation ethics
    I think it was the four working principles for situation ethics AO1(pragmatism etc) but I cant be sure since I don't really remember my exam very well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.