Turn on thread page Beta

The party of envy thinks-up yet another one...... watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard on the radio today Labour have announced they will change the laws regarding domicile status (I assume they meant people who live here less than 6 months pay tax in their resident country). Its aimed at taking more money from the "rich".

One would think being "rich" was a crime under Labour...... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Chat **** mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony19)
    Chat **** mate
    Labour has defended its plans to end the non-domicile rule that allows some wealthy UK residents to limit the tax paid on earnings outside the country.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32213003

Do I really? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    and this suggestion has shown the hypocrisy of the labour party with balls disagreeing with it yet ed contraband agreeing with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32213003

Do I really? :rolleyes:
    I know it's a real piece I just meant in general your manner.

Party of 'envy' and all that nonsense. How are they envious haha, a lot of them are just as wealthy as many of the Conservatives, they just care about the greater good rather than preserving their own wealth.

Mate accept you have false consciousness, kissing ass of rich people won't make you rich.

ReputationRep:
    I heard on the radio today Labour have announced they will change the laws regarding domicile status (I assume they meant people who live here less than 6 months pay tax in their resident country). Its aimed at taking more money from the "rich".

One would think being "rich" was a crime under Labour...... :rolleyes:
    Actually, had you bothered to read the whole story rather than that selective hearing of yours, you would have seen they have covered the short term problem for allowing temporary periods of up to 2-3 years, far higher than the 6 months you suggested.
    The policy applying to those who live here permanently but due to some 200 year old rule don't pay tax. If you or I have to pay tax, why shouldn't they?

Then you also factor in that you are eligible for non-dom priveleges if your father had them, a mother won't suffice.
    This is a 200 year old sexist rule that allows a loophole for wealthy people to avoid paying tax.Hardly any other countries have this rule.

It's not aimed at taking 'more' money from the rich. It's aimed at taking the taxation money that these people owe, the same as anyone else earning similar money does.

In fact here's a quote for you :

So if he were to become prime minister, he would consult on establishing a maximum time period for those who come to work from abroad during which they would still have the ability to pay tax to the exchequer only on their UK assets and earnings - and they would still be able to pay no British tax on their overseas income and capital transactions.
    If you'd even read the article you posted a link to you would have seen the policy is to allow people the status for up to 2-3 years.
    Maybe read the whole story first before jumping to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    and this suggestion has shown the hypocrisy of the labour party with balls disagreeing with it yet ed contraband agreeing with it
    No, Ed Balls doesn't disagree with it.

Instead of presenting strawman arguments, how about looking at what Balls has to say on the issue for himself?

The Tories have edited my words from January in an attempt to deliberately mislead people because they can’t defend their own refusal to act on tax avoidance. They have dropped the part of my interview where on non-domicile rules I say “I think we can be tougher and we should be and we will”.

That is exactly what we have proposed – ending a situation where people permanently living in the UK year after year can claim non-domicile status to reduce their tax bills and play by different rules to everyone else.

Under our plans, no-one living here ‎in the UK will be able to shelter worldwide income from tax because their father was born abroad or they buy an overseas grave plot.

But our plans, which we were working on in January, do allow for temporary residence for people genuinely here for a temporary period, for example people who are here for two or three years at university. Not to have a short-term option would mean students or business visitors being deterred from coming to our country.

As a result, independent experts have said that the changes we are proposing today – abolishing non-dom status while allowing for genuine temporary residence – will raise revenue.

No amount of misleading editing can hide the fact that the Tories are defending a system which means very wealthy people can avoid tax and play by different rules to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    they just care about the greater good rather than preserving their own wealth.
    Mate accept you have false consciousness, kissing ass of rich people won't make you rich.
    Rich people don't require the state paying money in benefits
    Rich people don't require the state funding police to sort-out anti-social behaviour.....
    Rich people don't require the state to spend as much on the NHS, as they use private hospitals
    Rich people don't require the state to spend as much on education, as they use private schools

Poor people...... need I continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    far higher than the 6 months you suggested.
    I was thinking of the rule if you spend more than 6 months per year outside the UK, you do not pay tax here....

ReputationRep:
    Rich people don't require the state funding police to sort-out anti-social behaviour.....
    Rich people don't require the state to spend as much on the NHS, as they use private hospitals
    Rich people don't require the state to spend as much on education, as they use private schools

We'll let this one speak for its self.

ReputationRep:
    We'll let this one speak for its self.
    No, please elaborate (if you even can).

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of the rule if you spend more than 6 months per year outside the UK, you do not pay tax here....
    Well that's not what this policy is about.
    This policy is that if you are a permanent citizen in the UK who lives here year after year then you should be subject to the same tax laws as everyone else.
    For those only here for a short period, this will not apply, but if someone actually lives here but escapes paying tax on a technicality it's wrong. You and I have to pay tax, why should they get away with it?
    It's a 200 year rule which allows certain people to evade tax and the rule itself is sexist as you only get non-dom status from your father, it can't pass down through the mother.
    Just abolish it.

ReputationRep:
    The Labour Party is invariably and inflexibly a party whose purpose it is to bash the rich and exploit the consternations, hardships and concerns of the underprivileged underclass, perpetuating their misery and poverty so as to win votes, and, if it can, importing a shipload of fresh blood into the mix from abroad. A whole swathe of Britons is in thrall to this quasi-Marxist, totalitarian-minded, disgraceful political party.

ReputationRep:
    No, please elaborate (if you even can).
    What came first?

A poor person

or

a unfair system that they often had the misfortune of being born into?

Now tell me that the government shouldn't lend a hand at lifting them out of poverty where necessary?

Life is short. Otherwise some would struggle their whole lives and just die... Never having lived a comfortable existence. Is that what you're okay with? Because that'd be the situation if we didn't tax. The rich don't 'suffer' if they're taxed they're just a bit pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a real piece I just meant in general your manner.

Party of 'envy' and all that nonsense. How are they envious haha, a lot of them are just as wealthy as many of the Conservatives, they just care about the greater good rather than preserving their own wealth.

You've got a thing about false consciousness tonight - you been reading about Marxism?

ReputationRep:
    What came first?

A poor person

or

a unfair system that they often had the misfortune of being born into?

Now tell me that the government shouldn't lend a hand at lifting them out of poverty where necessary?
    Whats unfair about the UK having a FREE education system which is better than most of the 200-300 countries in the world?

Life is short. Otherwise some would struggle their whole lives and just die... Never having lived a comfortable existence. Is that what you're okay with? Because that'd be the situation if we didn't tax. The rich don't 'suffer' if they're taxed they're just a bit pissed off. The poor suffer if they're not.
    Oh so living comfortably should now require no effort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    The Labour Party is invariably and inflexibly a party whose purpose it is to bash the rich and exploit the consternations, hardships and concerns of the underprivileged underclass, perpetuating their misery and poverty so as to win votes, and, if it can, importing a shipload of fresh blood into the mix from abroad. A whole swathe of Britons is in thrall to this quasi-Marxist, totalitarian-minded, disgraceful political party.
    Read up Backwards Ben.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smonnie)
    You've got a thing about false consciousness tonight - you been reading about Marxism?
    Read about Marxism when I was a tot doing my A levels I just see it applying a lot recently I like the idea and it can be put to good use here. Billy is from a poor background but he's suddenly fighting for the rights of the rich, like some Martyr. It's like darling they don't need one.

ReputationRep:

It's the stability of the british state that attracts these people to london - if they wanted to hire their own thugs and live in a fortress in order to sleep safely they'd have stayed put.

Never heard anyone who understands the non dom rule say that it's sensible... though perhaps useful in generating income for London lawyers and allied money launderers ,

ReputationRep:
    Whats unfair about the UK having a FREE education system which is better than most of the 200-300 countries in the world?

Oh so living comfortably should now require no effort?
    And when all the kids go home? They all live the same? They all have the same environment condusive to doing well? Look I know what you're going to say libraries blar blar blar. Look, yes these things exist but every child's experience is circumstances specific we should give them the benefit of the doubt and at least alleviate their parents financial stress so that it doesn't trickle down and affect their children.

No but sometimes poverty causes issues that you can't resolve with just effort, sometimes is four corner squares you in and you need help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.