The Student Room Group

A-level options | Help and opinions needed!

Hi, to start off my name is Lizzie and I'm 17, I'm hoping to start studying A-levels in september. So far, career wise, I'm interested in going into law (particularly mental health law) OR psychology. I'm also very into politics.

Naturally, the subjects that come to mind to take at A-level first are:

Law

Psychology

Politics

First my question is, are these three well suited? What is your opinion on them?

Now for my fourth option, I'm interested in:

Sociology

Philosophy

Economics

History

English literature

Which of these would you recommend to take along side the above three?? Do any of these subjects overlap so much that universities won't consider them as separates?

Thank you so so much for your help in advance.

Love x :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 1
Have you done any of them for GCSE
Reply 2
Any of those bar sociology. I would suggest Philosophy or Economics, then History or English Lit.
History seems like the best bet for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best option: don't go to sixth form.
Reply 5
If you want to go into law drop law and take history, law is considered a soft subject. Then do economics because it literally is the best subject going
Original post by Flather
If you want to go into law drop law and take history, law is considered a soft subject. Then do economics because it literally is the best subject going

Best advice if you're considering law. Weird they don't find it helpful to take A level law when that's what you want to study/go into later on.. I want to do law at uni so I have to drop it now as it's deemed 'undesirable'
Woah, high-five! I'm also looking at doing law!

My sister did law at university, and said that the best subjects to take were economics and history. Law is considered a soft subject at A-Level, as are Psych/GovPol, so definitely have at least 2 "more traditional" subjects, at least one being an essay subject!
Original post by misslizziea
Hi, to start off my name is Lizzie and I'm 17, I'm hoping to start studying A-levels in september. So far, career wise, I'm interested in going into law (particularly mental health law) OR psychology. I'm also very into politics.

Naturally, the subjects that come to mind to take at A-level first are:

Law

Psychology

Politics

First my question is, are these three well suited? What is your opinion on them?

Now for my fourth option, I'm interested in:

Sociology

Philosophy

Economics

History

English literature

Which of these would you recommend to take along side the above three?? Do any of these subjects overlap so much that universities won't consider them as separates?

Thank you so so much for your help in advance.

Love x :smile::smile::smile:

If you want to go into Law, you shouldn't take Law A level. It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but of those you mentioned I think you'd be best to choose History, English Lit and Economics/Philosophy/Politics plus one other.

I don't know what they like for Psychology degrees, but it definitely isn't Psychology A level. I'd guess at a science subject, which might be a good plan as a fourth subject to balance out your humanities.

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

^Basically for Law, choose off the Facilitating list. That should give you the best choice of unis, provided you can get the grades you need in those subjects.
Reply 9
philosophy is a good subject to take if you go to uni, i wish i did take it for a level because my course has a lot of philosophy in it which i am completely new to.

Quick Reply

Latest