Is political Islam a reaction against effects of globalization?

Watch
muzika
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is it?
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha I'm actually revising a similar question. Islam is structurally political anyway but the extent to which people exercise this duty has been where globalisation has some relevance. Globalisation has amongst many things created a sense of neoliberal dominance, disparity in economic gains, neocolonial sentiments, marginalisation of former colonies, clash of cultures, ease of material attainment etc. People turn to the extremes when they feel they are left out. I'm sure there is a counter argument, cant elaborate as I'm on my phone but to an extent I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by muzika)
Is it?
Partly, yes. A clash of culture and forced ideals on people who aren't necessarily used to or in favour of such concepts. Reminds me partly of the social darwinistic mentality of the early colonisers in Africa and Asia.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, it's based on simple Islamic supremacist and anti-Semitic ideology, supported both passively and actively by the Islamic world. No different to how Nazism was an Aryan supremacist and anti-Semitic ideology, supported both passively and actively by the Catholic and Islamic world.
muzika
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
any other ideas?
R£SP£CT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The biggest factor concerning this is western imperialism and interference in Muslim countries.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
any other ideas?
In relation to your original argument read this book.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations

Huge growth in population sizes with the majority of the population under 25 years of age. Crumbling infrastructure combined with a population thy don't embrace higher education where by the most popular HE course is Islamic studies. What could possible go wrong?

There was an academic paper written years back (sorry, I forget the the author) arguing that the Middle East was actually an empire in decline. The problem is that society has never seen an empire collapse on itself first hand.

Some may argue that the improvements in transportation allow the crazies to move around more and for us the be more aware of the crazies.

Others may argue that Islam is 700 years younger than Christianity. 700 years ago Christianity was doing some crazy things on the name of religion.

It should be remember d that for all of the issues within Islam, the vast majority of Muslims are normal, law abiding, tolerant people who despise extremists. This isn't the first time religion has been hijacked by a minority to further a political aim.
PopaPork
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it?
No it is the thrashing of a dying faith that realizes it has lost
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Kafirs are outdoing muslims in every respect because we respect the basic doctrines of civilisation. Muslims are falling further behind and the worst aspects of Islam are beginning to show.

Poverty and Islam are directly linked so the "losers" of capitalism are still more likely to convert. As noted recently of working class whites with no money, prospects or education turning towards Islam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads