B771 - Education Quality Act (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B771 - Education Quality Act (Second Reading), TSR UKIP2nd Reading - Please check notes at bottom.

Education Quality Act (2015):

An Act to replace Ofsted with an independent body to inspect, regulate and give guidance to services that provide education to all ages.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Current Educational Regulators

(1) Ofsted and the Independent Schools Inspectorate shall be merged at the end of the 2014/2015 Academic year, 31st August 2015.

2. Education Quality Commission

(1) Ofsted and the Independent Schools Inspectorate shall be replaced on the 1st September by the Education Quality Commission.
(2) The Education Quality Commission shall become a non-departmental public body of the Department for Education.
(3) The Education Quality Commission will inspect and regulate; child minding services, day care, children and young people’s social care, children’s centres, state schools, teacher training providers, Further Education colleges, CAFCASS, adoption and fostering agencies, and academies.
i. Private schools will be inspected but shall retain the same level of autonomy as they do currently. Internal policies within private schools will not be subject to change following an inspection.
(4) Each inspection by the Education Quality Commission will be followed by a report and a feedback meeting within 5 working days.
(5) The Education Quality Commission board will consist of Chairperson, a Chief Executive, a Secretary and no more than 10 board members. All board meeting minutes will be made available to the public within a month of the meeting.
(6) The Education Quality Commission will employ 1000 Education Quality Inspectors across England, at the current starting pay for Ofsted inspectors.
(7) Regional Inspector Service Providers shall continue to provide Additional Inspectors in their current role. No more than 1000 Additional Inspectors should be employed at any one time.
(8) Other Inspectorates currently under Ofsted’s responsibility shall be transferred to come directly under the Education Quality Commission.
(9) Reflecting the British Republic, all new inspectors employed by the Education Quality Commission shall be known as ‘Education Quality Inspectors’, replacing ‘Her Majesty’s Inspectors’. Ofsted inspectors who gained the title ‘Her Majesty’s Inspector’ may retain this honour.

3. Assessment

(1) Areas under examination by the Education Quality Commission shall be:

I. ‘Teaching and Learning’,
II. ‘Pupil Achievement’,
III. ‘Standards of Special Educational Needs/English as an Additional Language Teaching’,
IV. ‘Pupil Behaviour and Safety’
V. ‘Extra-Curricular Opportunities’
VI. ‘Staff Management and Finance’,
VII. ‘Progression against Previous Targets’,
VIII. ‘Staff Feedback’
IX. ‘Parent Feedback’,
X. ‘Governor/Trustee Feedback’
XI. ‘Facilities’

(2) Inspections shall be carried out by up to five inspectors appointed by the Education Quality Commission.
i. At least one of these inspectors must be a registered Education Quality Inspector.
ii. Where required, the other inspectors may be made up from Additional Inspectors.
(3) All inspections will be carried out ‘on-the-spot’. Notice of the inspections will be given the morning of the inspection no later than 8am.
(4) The inspection may last up to a period of 5 days as seen fit by the inspection team.
(5) The feedback meeting must have a representative of the school/education facility and a representative of the trustees/governors present.
(6) All feedback meetings shall be made public. Topics of a sensitive nature or which may constitute a safeguarding issue will be withheld for a private feedback session.
(7) Inspections of organisations shall be conducted at least once every 3 academic years.

4. Grading

(1) Each organisation examined will be graded according to 5 bands, as recommended by the inspection team:

I. Outstanding
II. Good
III. Adequate
IV. Inadequate
V. Special Measures

(2) Organisations that fall within Inadequate will have 18 months to improve before a re-inspection. If recommendations and guidelines have not been met, the school shall enter Special Measures.
(3) Special Measures shall be conducted in line with current policy and guidelines in place with Ofsted.

5. Current Employees

(1) Current employees of Ofsted and the Independent Schools Inspectorate will be offered to apply for employment within the new commission in a job role similar to their current position.
(2) Redundancy will be offered for those who do not wish to apply.

6. Funding

(1) Funding shall be set at a level to reflect the merger of the two organisations, £300 million, to come from funds currently being used for Ofsted and recouped from the funds spent on employing Additional Inspectors.

Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Education Quality Act;
(2) This bill shall extend to England; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately

Notes for 2nd Reading:

3 Day limit changed to 5 Day Limit – increased number of inspectors to account for this.

Home Educators removed from those under remit – to remain under control of Local Authority.

To clarify - Ofsted doesn’t inspect organisations in Scotland, Wales or N.I., these will remain under their respective Governments.

There are 233 working days in a year and 38859 places to inspect. Each inspection can take 4 days hands on at the school, followed by one day writing up the report. For each place to be inspected every 3 years there needs to be 12953 places inspected each year every year and in a 3 year cycle it will be at the beginning. Each inspection team can inspect 46 (233/7) place per year. So there needs to be 282 (12953/46) inspection teams to conduct an inspection every 3 years.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I loved reading those notes and knowing I forced you to do your maths:rofl: nor now aye.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
aye
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I loved reading those notes and knowing I forced you to do your maths:rofl: nor now aye.
The original bill provisioned for up to 1850 inspectors to inspect a school every 3 days, this bill provisions for up to 2000 inspectors. However, only 1410 inspectors are needed in teams of five to inspect every institution in England on a three year basis. This bill and the original bill both legislated for more than enough inspectors. The original bill would even allow five day inspections with the number of inspectors it called for.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The original bill provisioned for up to 1850 inspectors to inspect a school every 3 days, this bill provisions for up to 2000 inspectors. However, only 1410 inspectors are needed in teams of five to inspect every institution in England on a three year basis. This bill and the original bill both legislated for more than enough inspectors. The original bill would even allow five day inspections with the number of inspectors it called for.
I'd check you maths, I proved the last bill required a 4 year cycle also due to the home educators. And it's teams of 3.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'd check you maths, I proved the last bill required a 4 year cycle also due to the home educators. And it's teams of 3.
I saw what you wrote but you did not prove anything. Correcting the figures you gave for the number of establishments to be England only, and also removing the figure for nurseries since the figure for schools in England includes nurseries in England, there is a total of 32106 establishments to inspect, plus 55,200 child minders. I have even included home schools in the total for 32106 establishments which would not require a 3 day, 3 person inspection.

With inspection once every three years, 10702 establishments need to be inspected each year. As there are 233 working days in a year and each inspection lasts four days in total, one team can inspect 58 establishments a year. In total 185 teams will be needed to inspect the establishments on a three year cycle. If each inspection team is composed of three inspectors, that is a requirement for 555 inspectors.

As childminders require a 2 hour check-up by one inspector at the most and not a 4 day inspection, three childminders can be inspected a day. One inspector in a year can inspect 699 child minders. In one year 18400 need to be inspected to keep to the three year cycle which would require 27 inspectors to work their way around them all.

In total that is a minimum requirement of 582 inspectors. Even if each inspection team had 5 inspectors in, and each inspection took 5 days to complete, that would mean each team could inspect 46 establishments in a year, requiring 233 teams or 1164 inspectors. We could even expand this out and say each inspector can only inspect two child minders a day, which would still result in 41 inspectors being needed to inspect the childminders on a 3 year basis.

In both circumstances the original bill legislated for more than enough inspectors for the level of inspection it called for. Shorter inspections will be needed for home schools since they are not as big as normal schools so the total number of inspectors required could fall to the few hundreds. The bill was written with wording to allow a variable number of inspectors to inspect places for a variable length of time to cater for child minders and home schools where an inspection can be easily completed.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aph appears to have been destroyed.

Aye
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I saw what you wrote but you did not prove anything. Correcting the figures you gave for the number of establishments to be England only, and also removing the figure for nurseries since the figure for schools in England includes nurseries in England, there is a total of 32106 establishments to inspect, plus 55,200 child minders. I have even included home schools in the total for 32106 establishments which would not require a 3 day, 3 person inspection.

With inspection once every three years, 10702 establishments need to be inspected each year. As there are 233 working days in a year and each inspection lasts four days in total, one team can inspect 58 establishments a year. In total 185 teams will be needed to inspect the establishments on a three year cycle. If each inspection team is composed of three inspectors, that is a requirement for 555 inspectors.

As childminders require a 2 hour check-up by one inspector at the most and not a 4 day inspection, three childminders can be inspected a day. One inspector in a year can inspect 699 child minders. In one year 18400 need to be inspected to keep to the three year cycle which would require 27 inspectors to work their way around them all.

In total that is a minimum requirement of 582 inspectors. Even if each inspection team had 5 inspectors in, and each inspection took 5 days to complete, that would mean each team could inspect 46 establishments in a year, requiring 233 teams or 1164 inspectors. We could even expand this out and say each inspector can only inspect two child minders a day, which would still result in 41 inspectors being needed to inspect the childminders on a 3 year basis.

In both circumstances the original bill legislated for more than enough inspectors for the level of inspection it called for. Shorter inspections will be needed for home schools since they are not as big as normal schools so the total number of inspectors required could fall to the few hundreds. The bill was written with wording to allow a variable number of inspectors to inspect places for a variable length of time to cater for child minders and home schools where an inspection can be easily completed.
Mr farrage, i ask you to look here all these nurseries are private and not attached to schools. As are all the nurseries on this site, you might want to re-do your maths

Also 46 establishments per year? Schools all use roughly tge same terms and schools are in for 39 weeks per year with 5 inset days in that. Again re-do you maths.

also due to the rules of ofsted having to phone the school the day before coming the first week of each term which means that there are only 33 weeks to inspect and I doubt that they would inspect last week of the year as very little teaching happens then, the same for last week of Christmas. Leaving 31 weeks to inspect.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Mr farrage, i ask you to look here all these nurseries are private and not attached to schools. As are all the nurseries on this site, you might want to re-do your maths

Also 46 establishments per year? Schools all use roughly tge same terms and schools are in for 39 weeks per year with 5 inset days in that. Again re-do you maths.

also due to the rules of ofsted having to phone the school the day before coming the first week of each term which means that there are only 33 weeks to inspect and I doubt that they would inspect last week of the year as very little teaching happens then, the same for last week of Christmas. Leaving 31 weeks to inspect.
Let us assume the school year is taken as 190 days, which is 39 weeks minus five inset days, and the point about Ofsted needing to notify the schools the day before is void as both readings of the bill called for notifications to be made at 8am on the day of inspection. I will also subtract 15 days or three weeks to make up for the last weeks of terms where an inspection would not be ideal. In the new period of 175 days, a team can carry out 43 inspections per year. To inspect the required number of 10702 establishments, 249 teams are needed which equates to 747 inspectors under the original require for a three day inspection by a three person team.

Including in this nurseries that are not part of schools, I shall assume there are 10400 nurseries in England which is the figure your website link gives, however, the figure will be less as quickly going through the list there are nurseries that double up as a school, I am not going to filter all 10400 results though. To inspect these 10400 nurseries in the same parameters for schools, 3467 nurseries will need to be inspected each year, requiring 81 teams or 243 inspectors.

In conclusion, including in an additional 10400 nurseries, and shortening the working year from 233 to 175 days, increase the minimum number of inspectors needed from 582 to 1017, both figures are well below the 1875 inspectors the first bill legislated for.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let us assume the school year is taken as 190 days, which is 39 weeks minus five inset days, and the point about Ofsted needing to notify the schools the day before is void as both readings of the bill called for notifications to be made at 8am on the day of inspection. I will also subtract 15 days or three weeks to make up for the last weeks of terms where an inspection would not be ideal. In the new period of 175 days, a team can carry out 43 inspections per year. To inspect the required number of 10702 establishments, 249 teams are needed which equates to 747 inspectors under the original require for a three day inspection by a three person team.

Including in this nurseries that are not part of schools, I shall assume there are 10400 nurseries in England which is the figure your website link gives, however, the figure will be less as quickly going through the list there are nurseries that double up as a school, I am not going to filter all 10400 results though. To inspect these 10400 nurseries in the same parameters for schools, 3467 nurseries will need to be inspected each year, requiring 81 teams or 243 inspectors.

In conclusion, including in an additional 10400 nurseries, and shortening the working year from 233 to 175 days, increase the minimum number of inspectors needed from 582 to 1017, both figures are well below the 1875 inspectors the first bill legislated for.
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that inspectors would come in on Friday and then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday the week after? Surely that doesn't make sense.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that inspectors would come in on Friday and then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday the week after? Surely that doesn't make sense.
As my calculations allow four days for a three day inspection there could be one school inspected Monday - Wednesday of one week, and another school inspected by the same team on the Friday - Tuesday, this continues. A weekend is not a blockade for an inspection and it is common to see inspection starting in one week and overrunning into the next week. That is the way the system operates at the moment and it is the way the system will continue to operate.

However, the beauty of our bill is that even if we assume inspections are carried out all in the same week which would limit teams to conduct a maximum of 35 inspections per school year. The combined nurseries and schools, 21102 establishments in total per year, would require 603 team or 1809 inspectors, plus the 27 inspectors for childminders giving a total of 1836, which is still below the number in the original bill.

Your figures were off no matter how you look at the situation and the original bill included enough inspectors.
Birchington
Rep:
?
This is in cessation.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Division! Clear the lobbies.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%