Going through a break-up

Watch
codle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well, it's been a long time since I last posted on TSR... But I guess I need somewhere to turn to.

This is going to be quite long (sorry!) but I really feel the need to get it out there.

I'm a third year student and until two and a half weeks ago I was engaged to the person I thought I would grow old with. We got engaged at 18 - we knew it was quite young but it felt right to us. We first met in secondary school and started dating aged 13. We had an on-off phase for a while but got together properly aged 16.

We often spent time thinking about our wedding and our future - we were both so excited by the idea of having a family and that kind of thing. We were each others' support in times of stress and we always said we could get through anything.

This year, however, has been different. Being in the last year of my degree, I was starting to feel the pressure, but unlike normal, my fiancΓ© wasn't being totally supportive. He had extra curricular commitments as well as university and I tried to be supportive, but it became clear that I was putting all the work into the relationship. We discussed this and we agreed to make things work. We were looking forward to having more time together.

All of a sudden, however, he told me he doesn't love me any more and that he can no longer be in a relationship. Whilst we were having problems, I figured he would care enough to work things out. But he's made it clear that he feels he needs a change in his life and he no longer feels ready to commit to something like an engagement.

As you can imagine, I'm heartbroken. My friends and family have been amazingly supportive, and I've been trying to keep busy and spend time doing things for myself. But I still wonder how on earth I can move on. I was supposed to marry this man and be with him forever - I dream about him almost every night and keep imagining him changing his mind, even though I know it's not going to happen.

Sorry for the rant. I don't really know what I expect to get out of posting this - I'm sure most people don't care about my story. It would just be good to know if anyone has been through, or is going through, something similar. As good as everyone has been to me, very few of them, if any, have really been able to relate to what I'm feeling.

How do you get over your fiancΓ©/childhood sweetheart/soulmate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
15.35%
I'm not sure (8)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (84)
36.84%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (97)
42.54%

Watched Threads