The Student Room Group

The right resources

Hi, I am in my first year at college right now and am looking to go to university after my second year to achieve a degree in architecture however are there any key resources you would reccomend me to purchase and also Mac or Windows for when I buy myself a laptop. Are Macs really that superior when it comes to architecture software?

Cheers in advanced
Macs are certainly not superior to PCs when it comes to archi software. Obviously you can bootcamp / fusion / parallels anything, but for instance Revit and 3DS Max (two key pieces of software for a lot of architectural practices) run native on Windows and are not available for mac. In short - most software is available for both platforms, but the powerful stuff tends to currently only be on PC. It is definitely worth learning 3DS - it is a skill that a lot of employers look for in their Part 1s - particularly if you can combine with something like vray to knock out some decent renders.

Apples look nice, OSX (up until Mavericks) is / was a better OS than Windows imho, but they are fitted with massively underspecced - outdated hardware. Don't get me wrong, I am typing this on a MBP, but I know my next machine will be a hackintosh - I will create two partitions - so I can run Mountain Lion for day-to-day stuff and have OSX, but for rendering / 3D (and - if I ever get around to learning it - Revit) obviously you would be on the Windows partition.

I doubt you will want to go to this trouble at your stage in your career. So I would say get a decent PC laptop - far cheaper than a Macbook Pro and more versatile at uni.

Other than CAD software, SketchUp is ubiquitous, very easy to learn and can form the basis of models you import into 3DS, etc. Plus PhotoShop (or any of the free alternatives that are out there).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending