Why is Thailand poor

Watch this thread
Maria1812
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello so I went to Phuket Thailand and I am so shocked by the poverty some people live in garage like homes and when I went to see the big Buddha there were holes in the ground for toilets. I know most countries are poor because of war or corruption but I cannot recall any war in Thailand many countries from ww2 recovered very quickly.Japan and China had war they seem well and very developed I have not went to Bangkok I seen in pictures the skyscrapers I know some places are richer then others. I went to a shop and the lady was shouting please buy please buy she looked very desperate it was sad.

Is the education very expensive and most people don’t go to university is it minimum wage problems? Is it unemployment? Why is Thailand poor it is quite sad as you don’t want anyone to live in a poor country everyone wants their country to have a good economy and stuff. They are probably very rich people in Thailand every country has its poor and rich. The country is really nice, a big tourist place is it that their economy relays on tourism, and its not stable or their currency is not very high?
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
thailand didnt even take much damage during WWII. those *******s betrayed us by siding with the japs and let them run right through to take singapore.
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can blame democracy for their misfortune. They tried democracy but failed hard, would have been better off replicating singapore.
Fëanor
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Not too sure.
Dimple1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think its a beautiful place to visit, so they main source of income is the tourist industry and from the news I've gathered perhaps mostly they are into fishing, so two industries. Perhaps they are importing a lot of things from the Bric countries like China, which don't have the minimum wage hang ups, that's why they keep their labour costs so low. If we consider how cheap it is to import that's why they do it, but this is purposely done to help the chinese economy and similarly the other Bric countries do the same, but the Thai's could open businesses offering these consumables they need, employ their own citizens have the money staying within their own country for citizens to spend thereby growing their countries wealth. But perhaps there is capital problem with the banks not lending prospective business owners. But Thailand's beauty could be sacrificed with exploitation and pollution of industry, so maybe they choose to stay as they are not develop too much to give their country that less developed and untouched feel.
Praguey
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is because of corruption in the 2000's and the political turmoil which followed, basically people were paid to do nothing, so they think that they don't need education to find a job. The government were also reluctant to build anything, it took 5 years of planning to build the sky train.They were on a very good track until Taksin arrived and ruined everything. Now his government is gone it looks much better for Thailand in the future.
UKIProud
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Thailand
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
thailand didnt even take much damage during WWII. those *******s betrayed us by siding with the japs and let them run right through to take singapore.
You can't betray someone who you've never owed allegiance to. Thailand thought that siding with Japan was the best hope for maintaining its independence against British or French encroachment, and so that's what it did. Finland did exactly the same thing when it allied with Nazi Germany to protect against Soviet aggression.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads