Poisson conditions Watch

hhattiecc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
"A certain Sixth Former is late for school once a week, on average. In a half term of seven five-day weeks, lateness on more than ten occasions results in loss of privileges the following half term"

I did this question using Poisson X~Po(7), but in the mark scheme they've used a binomial distribution X~B(35,0.2).
I thought Poisson because it's talking about an average rate of lateness in a given time period, but is it Binomial because there's only 5 opportunities to be late, i.e. Poisson breaks down because the total probability isn't 1.

So does this mean that Poisson is only used when the variable is countably infinite?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hhattiecc)
"A certain Sixth Former is late for school once a week, on average. In a half term of seven five-day weeks, lateness on more than ten occasions results in loss of privileges the following half term"

I did this question using Poisson X~Po(7), but in the mark scheme they've used a binomial distribution X~B(35,0.2).
I thought Poisson because it's talking about an average rate of lateness in a given time period, but is it Binomial because there's only 5 opportunities to be late, i.e. Poisson breaks down because the total probability isn't 1.

So does this mean that Poisson is only used when the variable is countably infinite?
Yes, it looks like you're right. They've been sneaky because they've given what sounds like a rate but also one of the conditions for using a Binomial distribution, which you've spotted, and your last statement sounds plausible.
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would argue you could think of the question in two ways:
35 binomial trials with the probability of being late on a certain day is 0.2 i.e X~Bin(35,0.2)
If Y is the number of times they are late in one week, then Y~Po(1) thus in 7 weeks, X~Po(7).

I would say that they are both equally correct. In fact, if we used a poisson approximation to the binomial distribution, we would get X~Po(7) in both cases!

I'm not sure what you mean by the total probability isn't 1 for poisson?
hhattiecc
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
I would argue you could think of the question in two ways:
35 binomial trials with the probability of being late on a certain day is 0.2 i.e X~Bin(35,0.2)
If Y is the number of times they are late in one week, then Y~Po(1) thus in 7 weeks, X~Po(7).

I would say that they are both equally correct. In fact, if we used a poisson approximation to the binomial distribution, we would get X~Po(7) in both cases!

I'm not sure what you mean by the total probability isn't 1 for poisson?
I only mean that the total probability isn't 1 using a Poisson distribution to model this case (and this case only). So if you summed up the probabilities of each possibility (i.e. the number of times which they could be late in a week), they wouldn't equal 1 because in theory, with Poisson, your variable could be infinite.
hhattiecc
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
Yes, it looks like you're right. They've been sneaky because they've given what sounds like a rate but also one of the conditions for using a Binomial distribution, which you've spotted, and your last statement sounds plausible.
Ok thank you! Yeah I know, you have to watch out for things like this because through the repetitive exam style questions they ask you get sort of trained to use Poisson as soon as you read about a time period.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads