The Student Room Group

Differential Equation help :(

Here's the question (click to enlarge):

question1.jpg

Tried to separate the variables after using some trig identities but found I ended up with a sinx on the dy side and visa versa. Pretty new to differential equations, not sure where to go from here? And when to introduce an integrating factor? And if so how do you know what it'll be?

Thanks a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lid-the-squid
Here's the question (click to enlarge):

Tried to separate the variables after using some trig identities but found I ended up with a sinx on the dy side and visa versa. Pretty new to differential equations, not sure where to go from here? And when to introduce an integrating factor? And if so how do you know what it'll be?

Thanks a lot

If you can't seperate the variables and you have an equation of the form dy/dx +Py = Q, then it looks like you should find the integrating factor. Do you know how to find it from that equation? It doesn't look like that can be applied here, though.

And if you have sinx dy = sin y dx, or anything like this, think of how you could move the siny to the dy side and vice versa.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
If you can't seperate the variables and you have an equation of the form dy/dx +Py = Q, then it looks like you should find the integrating factor. Do you know how to find it from that equation?

And if you have sinx dy = sin y dx, or anything like this, think of how you could move the siny to the dy side and vice versa.

I thought the integrating factor method only worked for a linear differential equation? This is certainly not linear since we have siny and cosy terms!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
I thought the integrating factor method only worked for a linear differential equation? This is certainly not linear since we have siny and cosy terms!

I think you're right :colondollar: but the OP also asked about (in general?) when you would use an integrating factor, though I did not make that clear.
Reply 4
To solve this you need to employ multivariable calculus, and partial differentiation, which isn't covered at A-Level, so this is probably a degree level question.

Imagine you have a non-linear differential equation such as the one shown in the OP. The general form for a non-linear first order differential equation is: M(x,y)+N(x,y)dydxM(x,y) + N(x,y) \dfrac{dy}{dx}.

If you rearrange the equation given so that it is in this form you end up with (cosxcosysin2x)+(sinxsiny+cos2y)dydx(-cosxcosy - sin^{2}x) + (sinxsiny + cos^{2}y) \dfrac{dy}{dx}.

Now for a differential equation with an exact solution, imagine that there is a function F(x,y)F(x,y); taking the partial derivative of with respect to each variable gives us the functions FxF_{x} and FyF_{y}, if this function is such that FxF_{x} and FyF_{y} are equal to M(x,y)M(x,y) and N(x,y)N(x,y) respectively, then we can solve the equation to find F(x,y)F(x,y).

If you employ the logic that M(x,y)M(x,y) is the partial derivative of F(x,y)F(x,y) taken with respect to x, and N(x,y)N(x,y) is the equivalent taken with respect to y. If there is an exact solution for F(x,y)F(x,y), then if you take the partial derivative of M(x,y)M(x,y) with respect to y, it should be equal to the partial derivative ofN(x,y)N(x,y) taken with respect to x, and in fact that is a quick way to test if there is an exact solution.

M(x,y)=cosxcosysin2xMy=cosxsinyM(x,y) = -cosxcosy - sin^{2}x \therefore M_{y} = cosxsiny

N(x,y)=sinxsiny+cos2yNx=cosxsinyN(x,y) = sinxsiny + cos^{2}y \therefore N_{x} = cosxsiny

It is clear that the two partial derivatives are equal, consequently there exists a function F(x,y)F(x,y) which is the solution to this differential equation.

We know that M(x,y)M(x,y) is equal to FxF_{x}, therefore if we integrate M(x,y)M(x,y) with respect to x we should end up with F(x,y)F(x,y).

cosxcosysin2xdx=sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+f(y)\int -cosxcosy - sin^{2}x dx = -sinxcosy -\dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + f(y)

Note the addition of a function of y at the end of this integral; we are dealing with partial derivatives so the typical integration constant is replaced by a function in the variable we didn't integrate with.

So now we know what F(x,y)F(x,y) is equal to, but we still have that function in y at the end. We also know that FyF_{y} is equal to N(x,y)N(x,y), therefore:

y[sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+f(y)]=sinxsiny+f(y)\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}[-sinxcosy - \dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + f(y)] = sinxsiny + f'(y)

sinxsiny+f(y)=sinxsiny+cos2ysinxsiny + f'(y) = sinxsiny + cos^{2}y

f(y)=cos2y\therefore f'(y) = cos^{2}y

f(y)=y2+sin2y4\therefore f(y) = \dfrac{y}{2} + \dfrac{sin2y}{4}

F(x,y)=sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+y2+sin2y4\therefore F(x,y) = -sinxcosy -\dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + \dfrac{y}{2} + \dfrac{sin2y}{4}

And that is the solution to your differential equation. I have given a full solution here as if you haven't worked with partial derivatives before you likely won't know what to do with this type of question. I hope this helped you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doomlar

Where did you learn this? :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by Doomlar
To solve this you need to employ multivariable calculus, and partial differentiation, which isn't covered at A-Level, so this is probably a degree level question.

Imagine you have a non-linear differential equation such as the one shown in the OP. The general form for a non-linear first order differential equation is: M(x,y)+N(x,y)dydxM(x,y) + N(x,y) \dfrac{dy}{dx}.

If you rearrange the equation given so that it is in this form you end up with (cosxcosysin2x)+(sinxsiny+cos2y)dydx(-cosxcosy - sin^{2}x) + (sinxsiny + cos^{2}y) \dfrac{dy}{dx}.

Now for a differential equation with an exact solution, imagine that there is a function F(x,y)F(x,y); taking the partial derivative of with respect to each variable gives us the functions FxF_{x} and FyF_{y}, if this function is such that FxF_{x} and FyF_{y} are equal to M(x,y)M(x,y) and N(x,y)N(x,y) respectively, then we can solve the equation to find F(x,y)F(x,y).

If you employ the logic that M(x,y)M(x,y) is the partial derivative of F(x,y)F(x,y) taken with respect to x, and N(x,y)N(x,y) is the equivalent taken with respect to y. If there is an exact solution for F(x,y)F(x,y), then if you take the partial derivative of M(x,y)M(x,y) with respect to y, it should be equal to the partial derivative ofN(x,y)N(x,y) taken with respect to x, and in fact that is a quick way to test if there is an exact solution.

M(x,y)=cosxcosysin2xMy=cosxsinyM(x,y) = -cosxcosy - sin^{2}x \therefore M_{y} = cosxsiny

N(x,y)=sinxsiny+cos2yNx=cosxsinyN(x,y) = sinxsiny + cos^{2}y \therefore N_{x} = cosxsiny

It is clear that the two partial derivatives are equal, consequently there exists a function F(x,y)F(x,y) which is the solution to this differential equation.

We know that M(x,y)M(x,y) is equal to FxF_{x}, therefore if we integrate M(x,y)M(x,y) with respect to x we should end up with F(x,y)F(x,y).

cosxcosysin2xdx=sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+f(y)\int -cosxcosy - sin^{2}x dx = -sinxcosy -\dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + f(y)

Note the addition of a function of y at the end of this integral; we are dealing with partial derivatives so the typical integration constant is replaced by a function in the variable we didn't integrate with.

So now we know what F(x,y)F(x,y) is equal to, but we still have that function in y at the end. We also know that FyF_{y} is equal to N(x,y)N(x,y), therefore:

y[sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+f(y)]=sinxsiny+f(y)\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}[-sinxcosy - \dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + f(y)] = sinxsiny + f'(y)

sinxsiny+f(y)=sinxsiny+cos2ysinxsiny + f'(y) = sinxsiny + cos^{2}y

f(y)=cos2y\therefore f'(y) = cos^{2}y

f(y)=y2+sin2y4\therefore f(y) = \dfrac{y}{2} + \dfrac{sin2y}{4}

F(x,y)=sinxcosyx2+sin2x4+y2+sin2y4\therefore F(x,y) = -sinxcosy -\dfrac{x}{2} + \dfrac{sin2x}{4} + \dfrac{y}{2} + \dfrac{sin2y}{4}

And that is the solution to your differential equation. I have given a full solution here as if you haven't worked with partial derivatives before you likely won't know what to do with this type of question. I hope this helped you!

totally agreed! (I have no paper and try to picture and I think I get a different sign somewhere but you are probably correct)
Reply 7

Sometimes I'm a bit sad and just read into maths on the internet :tongue: A good website for this stuff is http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx - the other pages on the website are brilliant as well! :smile:

Original post by TeeEm
totally agreed! (I have no paper and try to picture and I think I get a different sign somewhere but you are probably correct)

I've probably screwed a sign up somewhere 'cos I did it in a rush haha :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

look at this booklet at the very end when it deals with applications of partial differentiation to ODEs
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/advanced_topics/partial_differentiation.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by Doomlar

Just looked in your profile
Truly amazed!
Not completed A levels in Maths and can do this type of ODE so competently.
Keep it up
Original post by Doomlar
Sometimes I'm a bit sad and just read into maths on the internet :tongue: A good website for this stuff is http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx - the other pages on the website are brilliant as well! :smile:

Thanks, I'll give it a read! Tbh I do not think that is sad at all!

Original post by TeeEm
look at this booklet at the very end when it deals with applications of partial differentiation to ODEs
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/advanced_topics/partial_differentiation.pdf

Thanks, I'll give that a read too!

I was just looking through my assignments that last year and I've actually answered a question using this method (but it wasn't for a nonlinear ODE). I must have guessed how to do it because I've never seen this method before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Just looked in your profile
Truly amazed!
Not completed A levels in Maths and can do this type of ODE so competently.
Keep it up

Haha thank you mate! Maths is just something I really enjoy reading into so it means a lot that someone thinks that is a good thing :smile:
Reply 12

the method does not always work but when it does it can deal with all sorts including homogenous ODEs (fist order)

you write ODE as M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy =0

if ∂M/∂y = ∂N/∂x then the technique is on
Reply 13
Original post by Doomlar
Haha thank you mate! Maths is just something I really enjoy reading into so it means a lot that someone thinks that is a good thing :smile:

No worries

Rarely I meet people that are just interested.
the usual is people that are just interested how to pass exams, or how to become" bankers".

Fantastic stuff.

(will rep +5 your excellent explanation tonight when the system lets me)
Original post by TeeEm
No worries

the usual is people that are just interested how to pass exams, or how to become" bankers".

Fantastic stuff.

I'm not even finished college and I can understand what you mean! I cherish my interest in maths as I'm not going to study it at university, but I want to continue reading into it and learning as much as I can, so it's somewhat of a hobby to me :smile:

Thank you for the rep as well; I repped you on a previous post :tongue:
Original post by TeeEm
No worries

Fantastic stuff.

careful not to get a hard on mate
Original post by TeeEm
No worries

Fantastic stuff.

Interestingly enough, I've just been told in another thread that I'm wasting my time going to university since I go simply to learn!

Original post by HeavisideDelts
careful not to get a hard on mate

I find it's impossible not to get one when I'm talking/learning about differential equations. So awkward in my differential equation lectures. I've tried thinking about other stuff (like statistics) to stop it, but it just doesn't work. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Interestingly enough, I've just been told in another thread that I'm wasting my time going to university since I go simply to learn.

I find it's impossible not to get one when I'm talking/learning about differential equations. So awkward in my differential equation lectures.

Yh but shes getting one abput the boy not DE. DEs probably my easiestcourse this year so its not very exciting
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Yh but shes getting one abput the boy not DE. DEs probably my easiestcourse this year so its not very exciting

Obviously she's not because women can't get them. Each to their own I suppose.
Obviously she's not because women can't get them. Each to their own I suppose.

Not really. At uni everyone agrees de is easiest forst year course

Wow u r..

Quick Reply

Latest