RXMXXKX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I've decided to take drama as one of my GCSE OPTIONS.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/techniques for the theory and practical side of Drama.

I'm not sure what exam board I'm with but I know that the course is made up of:
70% practical work (assessed performances in class and to an audience)
30% written work (all coursework no written exam)

Also does anyone know how much BYT (beck youth theatre) is? I'm contemplating joining BYT as it would help my drama/ performance skills tremendously.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RXMXXKX)
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/techniques for the theory and practical side of Drama.

Also does anyone know how much BYT (beck youth theatre) is? I'm contemplating joining BYT as it would help my drama/ performance skills tremendously.
You may be doing Edexcel, it matches the percentages. You do have to do a practical exam (mine's in 20 days) and you'll be able to find plenty of free places to go extra-curricular without paying. I just advised that if you enjoy drama outside of school it shall benefit you, and you'll have a better chance of getting an A*. Don't pick it for a sit-off because you'll be severely disappointed. The skills you gain can get you an A*, if you haven't got those skills you have no hope.

Have fun
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
You may be doing Edexcel, it matches the percentages. You do have to do a practical exam (mine's in 20 days) and you'll be able to find plenty of free places to go extra-curricular without paying. I just advised that if you enjoy drama outside of school it shall benefit you, and you'll have a better chance of getting an A*. Don't pick it for a sit-off because you'll be severely disappointed. The skills you gain can get you an A*, if you haven't got those skills you have no hope.

Have fun
Thank you so much for the advice
Good luck for your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pursuedbyabear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Hi, I'm in year 11 just finishing up GCSE drama. I think the percentages might also match OCR's specification, which is what I'm doing. It's split up into 3 units: Page to Stage (30%), Drama in the Making (30%) and Concept to Creation (40% - and the exam I'll be be taking in a month or so ). The practical/written marks still work out as 70/30 though, and the entirety of the last unit is assessed by an examiner. All of these ratios match Edexcel - so it could be either - but the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.

As for advice, we've been told the depth of a piece can really affect your mark. Using lots of non-naturalistic, abstract techniques not only show you are thinking deeper, but it gives you quite a lot more symbolism to talk about in the written sections too. We've also been told by teachers and previous students not to neglect the written work. Although it's quite a small percentage, grade boundaries for drama are usually pretty high - so a couple of marks could make all the difference.

All extra-curricular drama stuff is useful (and really fun) experience, so I'd definitely have a look at that youth theatre. Drama is a generally fun subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by pursuedbyabear)
Hi, I'm in year 11 just finishing up GCSE drama. I think the percentages might also match OCR's specification, which is what I'm doing. It's split up into 3 units: Page to Stage (30%), Drama in the Making (30%) and Concept to Creation (40% - and the exam I'll be be taking in a month or so ). The practical/written marks still work out as 70/30 though, and the entirety of the last unit is assessed by an examiner. All of these ratios match Edexcel - so it could be either - but the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.

As for advice, we've been told the depth of a piece can really affect your mark. Using lots of non-naturalistic, abstract techniques not only show you are thinking deeper, but it gives you quite a lot more symbolism to talk about in the written sections too. We've also been told by teachers and previous students not to neglect the written work. Although it's quite a small percentage, grade boundaries for drama are usually pretty high - so a couple of marks could make all the difference.

All extra-curricular drama stuff is useful (and really fun) experience, so I'd definitely have a look at that youth theatre. Drama is a generally fun subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Okay, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much for the advice. Good luck for your exam!
Cheers, got an A- in November and its the same play as then so I'm looking hopeful. It's incredibly hard to get an A* in the exam unit.

The exam I'll be be taking in a month
Good luck to you too.
But the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.
The content certainly is different.
Here here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (122)
29.12%
No (297)
70.88%

Watched Threads