mtier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My english lit teacher is really bad, and I just sat down to do a Great Gatsby past paper, but couldn't do any of it because I don't know anything about the themes in it. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with it!!!!!!!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mtier)
My english lit teacher is really bad, and I just sat down to do a Great Gatsby past paper, but couldn't do any of it because I don't know anything about the themes in it. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with it!!!!!!!
Read the novel...?
Nerdz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mtier)
Read the novel, it's not very long. After that you can easily find a summary online, or look it up on shmoop or cliffsnotes.
Cherrychocolate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello! I'm assuming you're doing Gatsby for AQA English Lit which is what I'm currently doing. (I'm doing AS level but the advice still applies for GCSE)
Firstly, I would recommend that you've read the book at least twice or more if you can. I read it on Saturday in around 2-3 hours in one sitting. The great thing about Gatsby that there are so many resources on the internet. If you feel like you're really struggling you could order a revision guide, my english teacher has the York notes which is really good! Next, do some research on background information. The novel was set in 1922 so do some quick research on Culture, Art, Major events, Lifestyle, People, Fashion. In 1922, the Jazz Age was at its peak (I think) so that should help you understand the novel. The American Dream is a massive theme. I've made a timeline for all the events in 'The Great Gatsby'. I made some character profiles for the main characters and my english teacher gave us some key quotations to analyse, you can just google them. Do plenty of exam questions they will help you!
Good luck
Writefoday
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are so many resources on slideshare! There are chapter by chapter summaries with loads of information and key quotes and stuff. I think that you should really look into the time period, the Roaring Twenties. The consumption of alcohol is something that is important in The Great Gatsby in addition to communication, gossip, sexual liberation, class division, ect. I can't really think of anything on the spot but feel free to message me if you would like more help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads