lc24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I left school after my GCSEs and have been mainly working in retail/beauty since then. I also went to college for 3 years doing beauty therapy and a foundation diploma in IT. I was nearly 16 when I left school and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life back then and I regret not doing A levels and uni so much now I'm going to be 25 this year.

I have no idea where to even start with applying for courses or which unis. I live on the outskirts of south east London.

I've heard about foundation courses but I don't know what I would apply for I'm interested in a career in journalism and would like to study english literature, media studies and journalism.

I would need a part time course I think because I still need to be in full time employment and want to enjoy the experiences of uni life and don't want to be in a mature students course.

Although I don't have many qualifications I was always an intelligent student at school (I went to grammar school) and when I'm focused and passionate about what I'm learning about I always do well.

I do have very good professional experience I have gained from working in retail as I have worked for very high end brands and am an excellent salesperson but I know I'm wasting all my potential working in this and don't want to still be in retail when I'm 40.

I'm asking all this on here because I really don't know who to ask about this any advice would be really appreciated.
jackel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can do an Access to HE Diploma course. This is a one year course which would prepare you for Uni. See www.acceesstohe.ac.uk for colleges near you.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lc24)
I left school after my GCSEs and have been mainly working in retail/beauty since then. I also went to college for 3 years doing beauty therapy and a foundation diploma in IT. I was nearly 16 when I left school and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life back then and I regret not doing A levels and uni so much now I'm going to be 25 this year.

I have no idea where to even start with applying for courses or which unis. I live on the outskirts of south east London.

I've heard about foundation courses but I don't know what I would apply for I'm interested in a career in journalism and would like to study english literature, media studies and journalism.

I would need a part time course I think because I still need to be in full time employment and want to enjoy the experiences of uni life and don't want to be in a mature students course.

Although I don't have many qualifications I was always an intelligent student at school (I went to grammar school) and when I'm focused and passionate about what I'm learning about I always do well.

I do have very good professional experience I have gained from working in retail as I have worked for very high end brands and am an excellent salesperson but I know I'm wasting all my potential working in this and don't want to still be in retail when I'm 40.

I'm asking all this on here because I really don't know who to ask about this any advice would be really appreciated.
Any advice you're likely to get on here is very likely to be quite superficial. What you need is some proper careers advice to help you research into possible careers and then come up with a plan for how to get there. Starting off with "I want to go to uni" is too vague and could end up with you wasting 4 years pursuing a degree that wont help you get where you want to go - especially around journalism there are academic degrees, vocational degrees and professional qualifications that can all help you access different career paths so it's really important to have a good idea of where you want to get to.

Have a look through https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ournalism.aspx - there's a whole bunch of information on different media related careers along with relevant links to more info and resources. Contacting some local papers/radio/tv companies to arrange some work shadowing/visits might help too. If you can get directly in touch with a potential employer then you're likely to get the best advice about what qualifications, skills and experience they're looking for.

In fact I'd suggest making use of that entire website - it should help you take stock of where you are and the skills you currently have and work out how to get where you want to go - and if you need to speak to someone and have proper careers advice they offer that too https://nationalcareersservice.direc...contactus.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.73%
I'm not sure (40)
4.43%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (273)
30.23%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (435)
48.17%

Watched Threads