Help with English Combined A Level essay?

Watch
kayrx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I do English Language and Literature AS and we read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "The Catcher in the Rye".
The essay is a comparative essay and we picked an extract from each book that displays themes of rejection.
I chose rejection of personal morals as my theme.
For Huck Finn, I picked the moment where Huck writes the letter to Miss Watson, telling her Jim's whereabouts and then rips the letter.
For Catcher in the Rye, I picked the moment where Holden calls the prostitute to invite her to the hotel room.

I've written my essay but it didn't do so well. I improved on my teacher's feedback yet my grade still remains low.

Could anyone please help me and give me some advice and tips on how to make it better? (I'll send it so you can read it and see what needs changing or if I'm missing anything).

Thanks!
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kayrx)
Hi everyone,

I do English Language and Literature AS and we read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "The Catcher in the Rye".
The essay is a comparative essay and we picked an extract from each book that displays themes of rejection.
I chose rejection of personal morals as my theme.
For Huck Finn, I picked the moment where Huck writes the letter to Miss Watson, telling her Jim's whereabouts and then rips the letter.
For Catcher in the Rye, I picked the moment where Holden calls the prostitute to invite her to the hotel room.

I've written my essay but it didn't do so well. I improved on my teacher's feedback yet my grade still remains low.

Could anyone please help me and give me some advice and tips on how to make it better? (I'll send it so you can read it and see what needs changing or if I'm missing anything).

Thanks!
hiya, i did english lang and lit last year (at uni now) but i could probably remember some tips i was given for the essays. i haven't read either of those books so i can't give specific advice but if you want to send it to me and i could give some general advice then i could do that for you
NineBurgundy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I'm doing Eng. Lit. for A-level currently, predicted an A*- I can read through it if you like! I can send you mine and we can scratch each others' backs
kayrx
Rep:
?
(Original post by NineBurgundy)
Hey, I'm doing Eng. Lit. for A-level currently, predicted an A*- I can read through it if you like! I can send you mine and we can scratch each others' backs

That'd be great! How would you like me to send it to you?
kayrx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgwktm)
hiya, i did english lang and lit last year (at uni now) but i could probably remember some tips i was given for the essays. i haven't read either of those books so i can't give specific advice but if you want to send it to me and i could give some general advice then i could do that for you
Thank you! I sent you a private message.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed