Kilomontari
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What a level best combines with:

English Literature
Geography

so what a level out of: English Language, Sociology, Law, OR Computer Science fits well with these. Im interested in a English with creative writing course at uni, or possibly Law. Thanks

:confused:
Skyy9432
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't do the other 3, but English Language goes very VERY well with English literature.

You'll be able to use language study to help analyse your literature texts even better.
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
How did you find english language? I would love the creative writing side to it however Ive been told theres only a little bit of it. Isit dry or dull?

thanks for the reply
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skyy9432)
Didn't do the other 3, but English Language goes very VERY well with English literature.

You'll be able to use language study to help analyse your literature texts even better.
How did you find english language? I would love the creative writing side to it however Ive been told theres only a little bit of it. Isit dry or dull?

thanks for the reply
Skyy9432
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kilomontari)

thanks for the reply
Ehhhh.... I'm torn. The subject material was great, but my bad experience with the course may be credited to the fact I was the only boy in the class.

E.g. From language and gender as taught by my teacher:
"Bill and Mary walk past each other on the street. Bill says 'Hi', Mary responds with 'Hi' and then they part ways."
A* answer: Bill was conforming to his dominating male role as expected by society by initiating the conversation, causing an imperative for Mary to comply to her submissive female role as expected by responding to his demands! Bill left without saying anything because he wanted to show his domination over the conversation! grrrr *eats a tampon*"
I'm using hyperbole, but you can understand why I had a hard time as the only guy arguing against a room of women saying these things L&Gender is only one module though.

There was some creative writing, but only to demonstrate you understood what you're learning. Like once you've learned how somebody may use language to sell a product, you then create an advert for said product and label each lexical choice if that makes sense.

TL;DR
If you like creative writing, it's a very good thing to study. You may not get to do a great deal of it, but it helps you analyse (and recreate) how people structure their language around their situation.
Ruby_1696
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go with English Language.. Most suitable for what u wanna do. I'm studying A2 English Language atm and I love it it's interesting.. Year 13 is better than Year 12 though I must say yeah there isn't much creative writing except for part of Ur coursework in year12 and 13. But I would recommend it!!! I also do geography too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruby_1696)
Go with English Language.. Most suitable for what u wanna do. I'm studying A2 English Language atm and I love it it's interesting.. Year 13 is better than Year 12 though I must say yeah there isn't much creative writing except for part of Ur coursework in year12 and 13. But I would recommend it!!! I also do geography too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, what else do you take besides lang and geog if you dont mind me asking?
Ruby_1696
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the advice, what else do you take besides lang and geog if you dont mind me asking?
Lol no worries. I take biology and have done French and Arabic A2 but self taught myself. Didn't study them in school..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
Lol no worries. I take biology and have done French and Arabic A2 but self taught myself. Didn't study them in school..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Impressive. So do you think

English Literature
Geography
English Language

Are decent a level options?
Ruby_1696
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Impressive. So do you think

English Literature
Geography
English Language

Are decent a level options?
Yup definitely!!!! U in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
Yup definitely!!!! U in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, cant wait to get out though
Ruby_1696
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, cant wait to get out though
Meh don't be too sure about that lol. It gets worse... Sorry to be so harsh and blunt haha! But u seem to be taking good subjects that u like so u will be fine!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kilomontari
Rep:
?
Meh don't be too sure about that lol. It gets worse... Sorry to be so harsh and blunt haha! But u seem to be taking good subjects that u like so u will be fine!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i know that it does, but i just hate the fact I have to study things that I find absolutely dreadful (French for example)
Ruby_1696
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah i know that it does, but i just hate the fact I have to study things that I find absolutely dreadful (French for example)
Yeah I get u. Hahahaha French lol. Didn't particularly like it either but I did A2 coz I was relatively ok at it. That was me with maths. Bloody hated it. Took AS PE and dropped it. Hated that too

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads