The Student Room Group

Labour voters: society seems "fair" to me, what you moaning about?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Von Krapheimer
Hiya Gerald DGrilla,
Third paragraph will give you a clue.:beer:

Caring conservative ethos? With a small 'c'.

I see Farage as Mrs Thatcher Mk II.

So I guess the answer is no.

G D'G
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Caring conservative ethos? With a small 'c'.

I see Farage as Mrs Thatcher Mk II.

So I guess the answer is no.

G D'G

I think Farage has some good policies on some issues but would not vote UKIP as I would be afraid of the far right policies.

Where I live it is a CON / LIB marginal - so it's a Con vote for me as a no choicer as any party that advocates lowering our defences are laughable to be honest mate. - VK :beer:

DEFENCE AND SECURITY:

Having played a small part having been involved in the effort to regain the Falkland Islands after the Argentinian invasion in 1982, I believe the defence and security of our islands are of paramount importance. Yes, the world and the threat has changed but it can change again very quickly. I would 100% keep our Nuclear deterrent and give the British armed forces and security services a bigger budget.

Yes, Maggie

LAW AND ORDER:

I do believe that the laws of the UK and any civil society must be upheld. If I had committed/convicted a serious crime against property, person or state, I would expect the law to punish me without complaint. I would remove all luxuries from prison, create cells of 4 persons with 2 x bunk beds, remove en-suite toilets from cells and back to buckets and slopping out, get rid of all TV's, Xboxes, Snooker tables, etc. Make food nutritious but basic and only one choice - take it or leave it. ALL prisoners would dig a large hole in the prison grounds (from Monday to Friday) - Have the weekends off to contemplate their crime, then fill and tamp the hole back in (next Monday to Friday). I would reduce sentences by half after all that hard labour. This would have two positive effects on our society and economy. Firstly, the cost of imprisonment and Justice would massively reduce by saving money and secondly the prisoners would not want to commit crime so easily and go back to such a hard life, and not only the prisoner deterrent but think of all that prisoners friends, family and children being told how hard it was, thus significantly reducing the prison population within a few years.

Definitely Maggie

TRANSPORT:

Personally, I would implement full Government owned and run land based transport system - not for profit but paid for by taxes - Rail, Buses,etc - as these public services used to be. It would join up a fragmented UK transport system, (ie - trains waiting for trains schedule, buses waiting for buses schedule, etc), Give more employment to workers, who could progress up the career ladder within UK transport. Yes, this might cost the UK government (us in taxes) more but would be a great British asset.

Not Maggie

TAXATION:

Raise the threshold of when a lower paid worker starts paying UK income tax, so that it is an incentive for workers to work and employers to employ more staff. (example - no income tax up to £12,000), then raise income tax from 20% to 25% for workers (£12,000 - £50,000) , then set a flat 40% income tax rate over £50,000. No tax avoidance - big fines for individuals and companies and accountants breaking the law - Everyone pays. Work your way up the career ladder/earnings ladder - NO mansion tax (politics of envy)- I believe an individual community charge is a better way, rather than a tax based on how large or small your house is, Everyone who can pay, should pay - after all we all use, rubbish collection, police, street sweepers, litter collection,leisure centers,etc , etc (maybe with a rural/urban different rate).

Definitely Maggie

EUROPEAN UNION:

I believe we should leave the EU following a referendum ‘out’ vote and all legislative powers to rest with our Westminster parliament and negotiate a new trade agreement with the EU countries.

Definitely Maggie until JM turned her

HOUSING:

We should definitely be building more Housing for people , both private and social rented housing. But use so called brown field sites (ie, empty warehouses, factories, reclaimed city land, etc) before building on fields - how many empty office blocks, deteriorating old factory buildings, etc do we see in city's? I am sure lots of people would want to live in these locations.

Neutral to not Maggie

HEALTH CARE:

The NHS is a no brainer for me, we have the best system already. social and elderly care needs to be funded correctly and the young have to start saving or contributing to their old age.

Not Maggie

IMMIGRATION:

I believe immigration is good for us and that a Points based system should be used to select migrants with skills and attributes we need in the UK. Both European and Worldwide equally - we need the best.

Yes, this is Maggie

EDUCATION:

sex and relationship education to secondary school pupils after 11 years of age - no sex education for primary school pupils. Ban ALL religious schools in UK as they are divisive but teach mainstream religions in school classrooms. Scrap university fees for students taking degrees in science, technology, maths or engineering on condition they pay UK tax and work in the discipline for five years upon completing studying.

Not sure but as a trained scientist Maggie would approve of supporting STEM

WELFARE:

I believe that we need a safety net for people to fall back on in circumstances when they need help. But, I certainly do not believe in the so called "benefits culture". This should not be a social choice for many. I would also restrict child benefit to two children and stop paying it all together for children who do not live in Britain.

100% Maggie

These are just a few of the policies that I think could put the GREAT back into BRITAIN again. Definitely Maggie - Thank you - VK :banana::banana:

On balance I think you are a soft-Thatcherite. But I doubt you'll like that.

Not a Kipper, but like their stance on immigration.

Love the bananas!

G D'G
I think Farage has some good policies on some issues but would not vote UKIP as I would be afraid of the far right policies.:beer:

What far right policies are you referring to?

Your view on prisons is pretty far right... Not saying I disagree, mind.
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
On balance I think you are a soft-Thatcherite. But I doubt you'll like that.

Not a Kipper, but like their stance on immigration.

Love the bananas!

G D'G

Fair assessment - more bananas for you - :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Original post by I Procrastinate
Doesn't UKIP want people to start paying for their healthcare, or am i making this up?

Edit: i just read their policy and apparently they want to keep it, but when i read a leaflet about labour they said that UKIP wanted to have people start paying for their healthcare?:s-smilie:

I have heard Farage say that we should move to a more European (yes :smile:!!) approach on healthcare and would encourage those who can afford it to get insurance, but is a great believer that the NHS is untouchable and would not privatise as LABOUR did (PFI - disgraceful!) and Tories would.

Like most things Nigel 'says' it is very sensible but what would he actually do if he were deputy-PM? Don't laugh, Nick Clagg was...

G D'G
Fair assessment - more bananas for you - :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Haha!
NO mansion tax (politics of envy)- I believe an individual community charge is a better way, rather than a tax based on how large or small your house is, Everyone who can pay, should pay - after all we all use, rubbish collection, police, street sweepers, litter collection,leisure centers,etc , etc (maybe with a rural/urban different rate)

Otherwise known as Council Tax?
The Tories are not privatising the NHS. PLEASE, can we stop saying that.

The so-called privatisation involves using private companies where the NHS can't cope, because it can't. Labour saw that and now have the arrogance to call out the Tories on a policy which they introduced. It's not a bad policy if it's done properly, which it is now.
Reply 249
Original post by Bornblue
Scrapping marriage tax allowance for another.

Justine is still a practicing barrister isn't she?

I doubt she earns less than her personal allowance.

And I think Ed earns more than the higher rate threshold so that excludes him anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending