The Student Room Group

Labour voters: society seems "fair" to me, what you moaning about?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
Demand isn't just immigration though, the rise of working women and the fall in two parent families has meant more people are setting up house by themselves. People are living longer too.

Good point, well made. But it is mostly immigration.
Original post by Quady
So nobody in the UK has to pay the IRS tax on their UK earnings then?

The non-dom status allows some of the very richest people to live here and work here all their lives but because their grandfather was from Brazil they pay no tax.

I don't get that luxury, you don't and the huge majority don't. If I earnt money from arboad I would pay tax here. So too should they, Your USA example was pathetic. I don't live in the USA, I live here and pay tax here the non-doms live here but don't pay tax here. They can then pass this privilege on to their children.
It's a 200 year old, tax avoiding, sexist rule. Just abolish it.
Very few other countries have this rule and we shouldn't either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Good point, well made. But it is mostly immigration.

Gotta source?
Reply 63
Original post by Bornblue
The non-dom status allows some of the very richest people to live here and work here all their lives but because their grandfather was from Brazil they pay no tax.

I don't get that luxury, you don't and the huge majority don't. If I earnt money from arboad I would pay tax here. So too should they, Your USA example was pathetic. I don't live in the USA, I live here and pay tax here the non-doms live here but don't pay tax here. They can then pass this privilege on to their children.
Very few other countries have this rule and we shouldn't either.

I didn't say you lived in the US. I said you lived here. But why don't you pay money to the IRS on your UK earnings like others living in the UK?
Original post by Quady
I didn't say you lived in the US. I said you lived here. But why don't you pay money to the IRS on your UK earnings like others living in the UK?

You compared it to me not paying tax in the USA.
Oh look Quady surprise surprise to see you bending over backwards to support the rich not paying their tax.
They live here, work here but don't pay the same tax as we do. It's absurd.

I don't get that luxury, you don't and the huge majority don't. If I earnt money from arboad I would pay tax here. So too should they, Your USA example was pathetic. I don't live in the USA, I live here and pay tax here the non-doms live here but don't pay tax here.

I really do not wish to be rude but you simply do not know the rules.

This hypothetical Brazilian-decedent that is UK res non dom (RND). He pays the same tax as you or I on income and gains arising in the UK - eg his job. Did you know that?

If he has income or gains arising offshore then after 7 years if he elects to be taxed as a RBU then he pays the £30k annual TAX (!!) and after 9 years £50k pa, then the offshore income and gains is not taxed in the UK but he cannot remit it to the UK or else it IS taxed by HMRC. Did you know that?

BUT in electing to be a RBU he losses his income PA and his CGT AEA, so to make it worthwhile after all that he really must have shedloads offshore in which case he is one of the super rich b******s who we should be NAILING. But even he pays some tax and actually rather a lot of tax as he probably earns here and he certainly consumes here (ever heard of VAT??)

But your example is ignorant I am afraid... espsch the "pay no tax' bit. To pay no tax you have to be living in The Wirral.

EDIT.... and most are not Brazillians or indeed Brazilian-decedents.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
You compared it to me not paying tax in the USA.
Oh look Quady surprise surprise to see you bending over backwards to support the rich not paying their tax.
They live here, work here but don't pay the same tax as we do. It's absurd.

You're right, they pay more tax than I do to HMRC and more tax than you do to HMRC.

You said you wanted the same set of rules for everyone, so would you like to start paying tax to the IRS on your UK earnings?
(edited 9 years ago)
I really do not wish to be rude but you simply do not know the rules.

This hypothetical Brazilian-decedent that is UK res non dom (RND). He pays the same tax as you or I on income and gains arising in the UK - eg his job. Did you know that?

If he has income or gains arising offshore then after 7 years if he elects to be taxed as a RBU then he pays the £30k annual TAX (!!) and after 9 years £50k pa, then the offshore income and gains is not taxed in the UK but he cannot remit it to the UK or else it IS taxed by HMRC. Did you know that?

BUT in electing to be a RBU he losses his income PA and his CGT AEA, so to make it worthwhile after all that he really must have shedloads offshore in which case he is one of the super rich b******s who we should be NAILING. But even he pays some tax and actually rather a lot of tax as he probably earns here and he certainly consumes here (ever heard of VAT??)

But your example is ignorant I am afraid... espsch the "pay no tax' bit. To pay no tax you have to be living in The Wirral.

EDIT.... and most are not Brazillians or indeed Brazilian-decedents.

If I earn money from abroad I pay tax. If they earn money from abroad they don't.
Original post by Quady
You're right, they pay more tax than I do and more tax than you do.

Not as a percentage they don't. HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY CLAIM TO SUPPORT SNP? You're an ultra right wing, free market tax avoidance supporter.

Why should they get tax privileges not available to me or you? Why should they be able to pay no tax on money earned from abroad but I would have to?
Original post by Quady
Not had much to do with student finance have you?

Are you telling me it's okay to continue letting people get into thousands of pounds of debt when they're not guaranteed a decent job?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
Not as a percentage they don't. HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY CLAIM TO SUPPORT SNP? You're an ultra right wing, free market tax avoidance supporter.

Why should they get tax privileges not available to me or you? Why should they be able to pay no tax on money earned from abroad but I would have to?

Surprised you didn't argue with Teaddict recently when he said I was left wing on a thread you were on.

What percentage do they pay then?

It is available to you and I.

And they do pay tax on money earned abroad.
I agree with a lot of what you say but explain again why rents are too high?

You think it's because there is not enough affordable housing?

Do you think houses are being knocked down? The number of properties in the UK housing stock has been steadily rising over the last 70 years and that includes lower value properties (eg 4 story Victorian houses turned into flats).

So if supply is rising and prices are rising then unless my rudimentary understanding of economics is mistaken, there is too much demand.

So, why is there too much demand? Population rising too fast? People too wealthy for the housing market equilibrium?

Don't blame the builders. Blame the bleeding Labour for stamping the foot on the immigration accelerator pedal and the dumb free movement EU rules.

I don't wanna get all UKIPPY here but it clearly is not a supply problem if supply has been rising, which it has. DISCUSS.

I'm sorry, I'm not saying rent is too high because there is a lack of affordable housing; there is a lack of affordable housing because rent prices are too high.

There are a multitude of reasons for this (another thread maybe?) but one major reason is that individual landlords and banks are greedy. There was a letter sent from an estate agent to all of its landlords in the city I live in basically telling them to raise rents because they can... This kind of greedy attitude is what makes things worse and it seems quite common amongst Conservative supporters.

I don't know about other areas of the UK but where I live the rental (and property) prices have risen and risen in the last few years and yes there is a greater demand (because of increased population etc) so it is somewhat just the capitalist society we live in, but surely our government should be trying to eradicate the problem of homelessness by building affordable housing instead of allowing estate agents/private landlords/building companies to create and market luxury housing that hardly anyone can afford? I would think a rent-cap would help the situation somewhat but doesn't seem likely that this is going to happen. Alternatively introducing a living wage so that even the lowest paid employees could afford a roof over their heads would help fix this problem... I'm not blaming the Cons for the rising rental prices but it is a huge factor contributing to inequality in this country and seems to me that it is something that could be looked into instead of being ignored (which it seems to be at the moment).

The number of empty properties is a big problem too, it's a shame nobody seems willing to take them on and create small flats out of them!
Reply 72
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Are you actually trying to tell me that it's okay to get yourself into thousands of pounds of debt?

Yup. In what way isn't it?

If I get a £70k mortgage for a house is that bad?

If I start paying top rate income tax is that bad?

Surely better than paying it upfront isn't it?
If I earn money from abroad I pay tax. If they earn money from abroad they don't.

If you are UK res dom then yes you are taxed on worldwide income/gains.

For 200 years, with governments of all flavours, it has been agreed that there are circumstances when it is inappropriate to tax RNDs on offshore income/gains. This is not and never has been a party political point.

Labour introduced the £30k RBU charge if RNDs want to take advantage of these rules and the evil Tories introduced the £50k pa charge...

However RNDs lose their onshore allowances and exemptions and RNDs tend to add massive value, wealth and jobs to this country and pay MASSIVE amounts of domestic tax. How much VAT do you think there is on all those Lambos?

HOWEVER, the system is definitely abused by some and they need to be NAILED.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Surprised you didn't argue with Teaddict recently when he said I was left wing on a thread you were on.

What percentage do they pay then?

It is available to you and I.

And they do pay tax on money earned abroad.

You seem to be on every side of every debate but always right wing when you debate me. You're wrong on this issues. You just seem to enjoy winding people up and nitpicking at minute details of arguments and you regularly purposely misinterpret someones argument and argue against a point that no one made.
You're like the tories who make up Labour's policies and then argue against them.

Tell me then, who would you prefer as PM, Miliband or Cameron?

No it isn't. If I earned money abroad I would pay tax here. If they earn money abroad they don't pay tax here. How do you and I have that privelege?

They don't pay tax abroad and they don't pay tax here?
Tory voters really are getting desperate. :lol: Awww, you'll be out of your misery in just 27 days time.
Reply 76
You seem to be on every side of every debate but always right wing when you debate me. You're wrong on this issues. You just seem to enjoy winding people up and nitpicking at minute details of arguments and you regularly purposely misinterpret someones argument and argue against a point that no one made.
You're like the tories who make up Labour's policies and then argue against them.

Tell me then, who would you prefer as PM, Miliband or Cameron?

No it isn't. If I earned money abroad I would pay tax here. If they earn money abroad they don't pay tax here. How do you and I have that privelege?

They don't pay tax abroad and they don't pay tax here?

Cameron, easy.
Out of those two right wing party leaders I'd rather have the one who will raise the income tax threshold and keep energy bills lower rather than the one who will give a tuition fee cut to the most highly paid graduates.

Well I know plenty of people who have earned money outside the UK and not paid tax on it to HMRC quite legally. Go and work in Australia in a bar over the summer.
Original post by Quady
Yup. In what way isn't it?

If I get a £70k mortgage for a house is that bad?

If I start paying top rate income tax is that bad?

Surely better than paying it upfront isn't it?

Ok, perhaps I should have phrased my question better. A mortgage for a house etc is fine if you've got a stable income, but it's different when you're going to university and you're not guaranteed a decent job. I think higher education, the way it is now, is unsustainable and it will be better if we have more apprenticeship schemes for certain jobs.
Reply 78
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Ok, perhaps I should have phrased my question better. A mortgage for a house etc is fine if you've got a stable income, but it's different when you're going to university and you're not guaranteed a decent job. I think higher education, the way it is now, is unsustainable and it will be better if we have more apprenticeship schemes for certain jobs.

How is it any different to the prospect of paying the 45p income tax rate?

Why is it unsustainable?

Surely higher tuition fees encourages more people to take up apprenticeships?
Original post by Shashasheesh

There are a multitude of reasons for this (another thread maybe?) but one major reason is that individual landlords and banks are greedy. There was a letter sent from an estate agent to all of its landlords in the city I live in basically telling them to raise rents because they can... This kind of greedy attitude is what makes things worse and it seems quite common amongst Conservative supporters.

This is supply and demand, plain and simple. If the rents are too low then they will rise. They HAVE to rise.

BTW It's not me you're disagreeing with it's Adam Smith or David Ricardo or some other such economics pioneer.

There are two main problems in the London (and probably the UK) housing market...

(1) There are too many people who want a home of their own and

(2) They have too much money and so bid up the price (rent) of the relatively fixed supply of housing.

There are three possible solutions:

(1) Lose some people (eg slow immigration, send them to the suburbs (or urbs), war);

(2) Make them poorer (tax or recession) or

(3) Build new homes (err, which is hard 'cos London is like FULL).

I do not support any political party, I think they're all nutters, but if you want house prices (and rents) to fall, vote UKIP for 'option 1', or Labour for 'option 2', or maybe the Tories (read Boris) for 'option 3'.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending