The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature (AS 15th May 2015 Exam Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sujwjw
Did anyone do tots question 2? Gothic tale?

I did!! I haven't found anyone else who has yet
Original post by bertiewallace123
im afraid it was iambic trimeter and tetrameter, trochee's are DA dum not da DUM which is an iamb.

gd point regarding hypertension, forgot to mention that

It can't be iambic because most of the lines in the poem start with one syllable words.

"My Life had stood a loaded gun"

Emphasis on "my" which is a trochee.
Reply 782
Original post by pandachan362
Thank you! I'm a bit more relaxed now haha~
I put in Green, Aries and Khane. I didn't have time to put in any others :c
I know 3 is a little on the short side, but I included Mary Wollstonecraft's views on women briefly ^^;
How about you? c:

I only included Johnson and some other guy, then Locke and Rousseau.... not much :/
Original post by Mannz
I only included Johnson and some other guy, then Locke and Rousseau.... not much :/

I think 4/5 is a good number! I mean, I'd say that's okay personally c:
So I have coursework that should be 38/40, but my exam went quite badly, what kind of percentages/marks will I need in the exam to get an A overall? My poetry was OK but not ideal (I hope it was A/B borderline? Maybe even an A but there were definite faults) and my Dorian gray essay (part a) would have been fine if I had directed my answer at the question (and one of my paragraphs was utter poo). I covered the AOs quite well but the argument deviated from the question a lot, and I'm worrying that I would lose a lot of marks because of that.
Did anyone run out of time in the exam? I feel like I completely messed everything up because I didn't have time to add a conclusion to any of my essays. I've done Yeats and Frankenstein btw.
Original post by SaifJalali
It can't be iambic because most of the lines in the poem start with one syllable words.

"My Life had stood a loaded gun"

Emphasis on "my" which is a trochee.

http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/569/emily-dickinsons-my-life-had-stood-a-loaded-gun-revealing-the-power-of-a-womans-words

'my' is not a trochee, its monosyllabic for starters.
How important was it to include a critic from the OCR anthology for the turn of the screw?? Does anyone know?
Reply 788
Really nervous about the results of this exam tbh.

For Dickinson, I didn't like the theme and I did kind of analyse the poem throughout but only stuck to the theme of suspense in my first two points. My links to other poems were weak I compared it to the nature poems and was supposed to link it to Going To Him!... But I completely forgot to and didn't have enough time as the hour was up.

For Dorian Gray, I picked the double life and felt that my arguments weren't strong enough.
I talked about the
1st point The moment he starts living a double life (the wish)
2) how the settings suggest the degradation of his sins which show that double life is negative
3) the allusion to Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and from killing Basil to the diner party. The outcome of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is disastrous as Mr Hyde takes over Dr Jekyll which suggest a double life is impossible
4)however Dorian gains pleasure from the double life "he felt keenly the terrible pleasure of a double life" and he is able to get away with it bc the upper class are so consumed by physiognomy wealth and status
5) his demise suggests that living a double life is unattainable. He stabs the painting and it results in his death.he wants to get rid of his double life but it is his identity.

I just wrote one line for the conclusion and included 3 critics. And wrote a bit about wildes double life in the intro.

I think Dorian Gray went way better than Dickinson.
Also I retook this exam as I got a D last year :frown:
Reply 789
Did anyone do Turn of the screw? and how did you find it?
Original post by maddiexo
Did anyone run out of time in the exam? I feel like I completely messed everything up because I didn't have time to add a conclusion to any of my essays. I've done Yeats and Frankenstein btw.

Time was a real issue for me, I managed conclusions but they were scanty and rubbish, I think I thought time would be easier than it was :frown:
Reply 791
Original post by pandachan362
I think 4/5 is a good number! I mean, I'd say that's okay personally c:

But do Locke and Rousseau even count since they's philosophers and dead?!
I did Qb for Frankenstein, but I only had enough time to mention two sections:

1 - Victor conforms to the unreliable narrator of gothic fiction
I explored how he misinterprets the Creature through two quotes and used Mellor and the National Theatre play as two critics BUT i think my context was pretty crappy

2 - Walton represents an Objective narrator who would be unbiased, explored two quotes a bit and used the context of the epistolary narrative to add realism as letters were the only form of communication at the time

I'm really worried for this answer cause I feel it makes my overall mark not a B
Original post by Mannz
But do Locke and Rousseau even count since they's philosophers and dead?!

I'd say they do! The mark scheme says other interpretations/readings I think; as long as you quote directly, and even if you don't, the idea of that philosopher will still get you some credit at least I'm pretty sure.
Original post by Historandpliny
Time was a real issue for me, I managed conclusions but they were scanty and rubbish, I think I thought time would be easier than it was :frown:

Hopefully the conclusions don't weigh many marks:/
Original post by maddiexo

YES I FEEL THE SAME! I DID YEATS AND FRANKENSTEIN TOO :frown:(

Yeats I feel I did as good as i can, but i ran out of time with Frank and had to rush it in 38 mins....

My context was pretty poor and i dont even think my argument was clear :frown:

Really need to scrape a B in this exam to get an A overall so I can meet the A expectation of my two chosen Unis as I resat this exam
do you know the wording of the question i think i answered it wrong?
Original post by sally.7
I did!! I haven't found anyone else who has yet

Do you know the wording?
Original post by AMKrishnan
YES I FEEL THE SAME! I DID YEATS AND FRANKENSTEIN TOO :frown:(

Yeats I feel I did as good as i can, but i ran out of time with Frank and had to rush it in 38 mins....

My context was pretty poor and i dont even think my argument was clear :frown:

Really need to scrape a B in this exam to get an A overall so I can meet the A expectation of my two chosen Unis as I resat this exam

I didn't write a conclusion for Yeats either and I felt like I could have written more about the language in that...As for the Frankenstein essay, I ended it in mid-sentence:| i'm also hoping for a B but i don't know how close I am to getting that now:/
(edited 8 years ago)
I did Edward Thomas and The Turn of the Screw. I got 34/40 in the coursework. Does anyone know what is then needed in the exam for a A? I think it is typically 27 and 28 but not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending