What's the point on voting if you live in a non swing constituency.

Watch
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I live in an area where it is lib dem anf has been for ages so I kind of don't seee the point in voting
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Vote, you will at least go on a stat. If young people vote, then the parties at the next election will come up with policies that are in are interest. Don't vote and they will continue to pander to rich old people who vote.

Apologies for the generalisation but you get my point.
Smonnie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lib Dems are going to be in for a hammering at this election, so there is a chance this could change if you do not exercise your right to vote. Also, if lots of people thought along the same lines as you, this complacency could lead to the 'wrong' people winning the seat.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live in a Conservative safe seat, majority of over 15,000.

I'm spoiling my ballot.
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im voting UKIP but I know my vote will be pointless but the polling station is right near me so it will be easy but I still hope they have a fairer voting system in the future
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My constituency's been Conservative since 1918, it's really frustrating.
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My constituency has only ever been Labour once and that was when the Conservative MP defected to them!

When the by-election was called, oh boy did he end up losing and even with his experience and respect in the community - people didn't vote for him. He was replaced by a newbie with an overwhelming majority!
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which constituency do you live in?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd always say vote. A party might lose but the number of votes could help decide how much money and effort they will put into that seat in the next election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sdotd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i wish i lived in a tory constituency but i am unfortunately stuck in a labour safe seat
Razeak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Every vote contributes towards money that the state awards parties to assist in their next campaign. It also sends a message.

If you're intending to vote Green but your local 'safe' candidate is endorsing damaging environmental policies, they might change tack if there is a green surge within their constituency.

We're not betting. It's not about picking the winner. It's about voting with your heart and sending the right messages. That's why I could never endorse tactical voting for a party you don't align with - what message are you sending to Westminster? At least vote for a party that wants electoral reform, at least.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
do you live in a rich/posh area?
HandmadeTurnip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
do you live in a rich/posh area?
Yep, lots of old people as well.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you want change, you need to be that change. It starts with you. Safe seats are only safe as long as people keep voting for them. You're only making safe seats safer by not voting. Parties will invest more money into campaigning in constituencies where they have a chance to break through. Whether that's at this election or the next one, there's good reason to vote.
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
Mine's much the same, Tory since 1800s.

It's funny because I've never even seen the Tory candidate campaign - it's all Labour / Lib Dems etc - and on social media I see everyone complaining that we're still Tory. And then he goes and gets over 50% of the vote and is re-elected with landslide majority.

I'm not really fussed either way to be honest, but I bet if all those who were complaining actually voted (often see 'there's no point, it's a safe seat') then it would be a much tighter contest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (110)
28.21%
No (280)
71.79%

Watched Threads