The Student Room Group

URGENT: A level help 4 medicine!!!

I need to choose my A-level (or IB if I make the courageous decision to even look down that road options. I have 2 rough ideas of what I would like to do and some questions regarding them.

My first possibility: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Art and the second: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. I am also considering Further Maths with either one of the choices. The first possibility consists of art, which I absolutely love, however I am slightly worried about the workload- especially because applying for medicine involves the UKCAT, BMAT and work experience, and if my chances of being accepted for a medical course would reduce because I have taken this creative subject or if it would actually increase because my options show that I am more of an all rounder. The second choice contains physics; physics is also one of my stronger subjects and I do like it.Although, I think this possibility is slightly less exciting, I imagine it would include a lighter workload and provide more time for me to do other things; such as preparatory work for the aptitude tests and work experience.

Therefore I have a few questions: which one of those options would make me a more ideal candidate for medicine? Should I take Further Maths? What would a strong applicant include of? and I would also appreciate, if possible, any further advice about anything related to applying for medicine.

Additionally, as a side note to this, I am beginning my grade 4 violin and I was aware that if you are at a certain grade and above you receive a few UCAS points. I was wondering what grade this was, how many points you receive and if this make a huge difference?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mfluff
I need to choose my A-level (or IB if I make the courageous decision to even look down that road options. I have 2 rough ideas of what I would like to do and some questions regarding them.

My first possibility: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Art and the second: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. I am also considering Further Maths with either one of the choices. The first possibility consists of art, which I absolutely love, however I am slightly worried about the workload- especially because applying for medicine involves the UKCAT, BMAT and work experience, and if my chances of being accepted for a medical course would reduce because I have taken this creative subject or if it would actually increase because my options show that I am more of an all rounder. The second choice contains physics; physics is also one of my stronger subjects and I do like it.Although, I think this possibility is slightly less exciting, I imagine it would include a lighter workload and provide more time for me to do other things; such as preparatory work for the aptitude tests and work experience.

Therefore I have a few questions: which one of those options would make me a more ideal candidate for medicine? Should I take Further Maths? What would a strong applicant include of? and I would also appreciate, if possible, any further advice about anything related to applying for medicine.

Additionally, as a side note to this, I am beginning my grade 4 violin and I was aware that if you are at a certain grade and above you receive a few UCAS points. I was wondering what grade this was, how many points you receive and if this make a huge difference?

UCAS points - these are irrelevant to medicine as unis don't use them. The only uni that does use them is Queen Mary.

There's no such thing as an ideal candidate.

A level choices: Chemistry and biology are essential - at least till AS level. Some unis may let you drop one of these at A2 so check. 3rd A level you're given free reign on and most don't care what subject you choose. Bear in mind most people applying to Oxbridge will have done all the sciences though. Art is generally seen as a "non-preferred subject" so I'd go for physics if I was you.

Further Maths - not necessary. No uni will explicitly ask for it and some unis don't differentiate between further maths and normal maths - they're seen as the same thing. If you love maths and love a challenge by all means go for it! But it's not putting you at any advantage.

A strong medical applicant will have/be:

- AAA predicted for A2 (minimum) the more A* you can get the better

- work experience either in a clinical or non-clinic setting. Eg shadowing a doctor. Most unis prefer if you get hands on experience e.g voluntary work at a disability school. Make sure this is a concerted effort so over a long time not a couple of days.

- extra curricular to show you're a well rounded person outside academia. These should demonstrate your communication, teamwork and leadership skills. Practically everyone does DofE so try to be a bit unusual. I for example climbed Mt Kilimanjaro with my school.

- UKCAT/BMAT - some unis don't use either of these tests so it's not the end of the world if u perform poorly. BUT you must have amazing academics and a very strong personal statement. Do as well as you can on these tests - they are vital in selecting candidates for interviews.

Source: I'm an A level student who's gone through this and has an offer to study medicine. Feel free to ask me any more Q's!
Reply 2
Om that was so helpful, thankyou soo much. Eventhough you are a random stranger I Love you atm. I will definitely take your advice thankyou and congrats on your offer :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mfluff
Om that was so helpful, thankyou soo much. Eventhough you are a random stranger I Love you atm. I will definitely take your advice thankyou and congrats on your offer :smile:

Lol no worries

Quick Reply

Latest