Unit 4 Geography Pollution and Human Health pre release Watch

beckycrombie13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anybody doing option 5 for Unit 4??? really stuck on what I need to research. I was told to research 5 health problems but was wondering what other people are planning. I cant find anyone else who is doing option 5. Please help!!
tokiohoe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm trying to do it by factors that are related to economic development, then find case studies and models which relate to them. For example, I've got 3 factors so far which are pollution, lifestyle and infrastructure, and for pollution my point is that industrialising countries have higher rates of pollution related diseases as they produce the largest amount of pollution and have used the Kuznet Curve to support that argument. I've then looked into air pollution causing various respiratory diseases in China and why that is (industry + rising middle class means more car ownership etc) . I've also researched how there tends to be more isolated large scale pollution incidents in NICs e.g. Bhopal gas disaster, as NICs want to attract foreign investment so offer cheap labour and low operating costs, however they tend to lack safety guidelines + environmental laws. This causes large amount of deaths in the short term but also means that people are born with birth defects in the long term. You could then compare that with a large-scale pollution incident that has happened in an MEDC but caused less deaths due to effective management, safety guidelines etc. Hope that helps!
orlapurdon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tokiohoe)
I'm trying to do it by factors that are related to economic development, then find case studies and models which relate to them. For example, I've got 3 factors so far which are pollution, lifestyle and infrastructure, and for pollution my point is that industrialising countries have higher rates of pollution related diseases as they produce the largest amount of pollution and have used the Kuznet Curve to support that argument. I've then looked into air pollution causing various respiratory diseases in China and why that is (industry + rising middle class means more car ownership etc) . I've also researched how there tends to be more isolated large scale pollution incidents in NICs e.g. Bhopal gas disaster, as NICs want to attract foreign investment so offer cheap labour and low operating costs, however they tend to lack safety guidelines + environmental laws. This causes large amount of deaths in the short term but also means that people are born with birth defects in the long term. You could then compare that with a large-scale pollution incident that has happened in an MEDC but caused less deaths due to effective management, safety guidelines etc. Hope that helps!
These are really good ideas, what case studies and ideas do you have for lifestyle and infrastructure??
jamfog
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So I'm just as stuck.....I am currently researching 1. UK Clean Air Act 2. Australia Skin Cancer - (I dont think this is a 'range' since the UK is also an MEDC) 3. Air quality in China (Harbin) - NIC 4. Malaria in Pakistan.....idk why
>>I have no idea what models to use or how to properly build an argument with these case studies?
Pudge666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My case studies are : water pollution in China , air pollution in mongolia and UK , as Mongolia is ledc, and UK is medc , Skin cancer and ozone depletion , I only done 3 big case studies , made a draft gave it to my teacher and he already predicted me A*, so all what i have to do is memorise the draft , well the point is , you don't need to do research for 8 case studies , just choose 3 in my opinion , 1 on medc while the other 1 on ledc , and compare the impact ane mitigation strategies. Also try to link them to graphs and ect ... e.g kuzhnet curze and enviromental pollution risk model. What helped me alot was the exaples from edexcel website
Pudge666
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry for the spelling , as I find it hard to write properly on my phone ffs
jamfog
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which examples on the Edexcel website?
Pudge666
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamfog)
Which examples on the Edexcel website?
If i remember correctly , edexcel website - geography 2008 specification -course material -teaching and learning specification
Rsangha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
how was it what did people talk about evaluative wise why pollution control isn't the most important
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads