The Student Room Group

Is there any point in studying for a subject that I'm going to drop?

I despise French. SO MUCH.

It's my worst subject and I just don't enjoy it, so no surprise that I'm dropping it next year.

With that being said, is there any point in studying for it if I'm just going to drop it? Will my French AS grade really matter when I want to apply to a uni course that has nothing to do with French? It's just taking up so much study time for other subjects I actually enjoy and want to study. Plus, FRENCH IS SO HARD TO STUDY FOR! Oh, and will it affect my predicted grades for other subjects next year?

Merci beaucoup
Well, a good grade will look better than a bad grade and French is useful, so... Maybe try?
Do some work for it, but your other subjects are far more important so don't spend too much time worrying about it. You predicted grades and university offers will be based on you AS grades in your other subjects, and although some unis prefer a pass or a C or something at AS in a fourth subject it shouldn't affect you too much. Focus on doing really well in your others, particularly as you enjoy them and will hopefully be useful to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by chlo_evans

It's my worst subject and I just don't enjoy it, so no surprise that I'm dropping it next year.

With that being said, is there any point in studying for it if I'm just going to drop it? Will my French AS grade really matter when I want to apply to a uni course that has nothing to do with French? It's just taking up so much study time for other subjects I actually enjoy and want to study. Plus, FRENCH IS SO HARD TO STUDY FOR! Oh, and will it affect my predicted grades for other subjects next year?

Merci beaucoup

I was in a similar situation last year. I done sociology and absolutely hated it but still continued and got an A. However much you hate your subject it will still look better on your application and cv if you have a better grade. There is really no point in giving up now when you have like 2 months left. I know it takes away time from your other subjects but it still an AS and is important so revise it abit. If you drop French next year then I don't see how it would affect your predicted grades. What are you planning on studying at uni? And you never know you may do bad in one of your other subject but better in French and decide to carry it on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you apply for a competitive course then you need high AS grades in all subjects (even French that you will drop). I would aim for minimum of a C grade or it really will look bad.
I was the same as you, I hated ICT with a passion at A level and I only got an E in it for AS and dropped it. I was so lucky that I did get 20 points from it, as without those 20 points that I added onto my ucas points, I wouldnt have gotten into the uni that I wanted to. So I suggest doing your best and getting the best grade you can, so it can add to your ucas points!
Reply 6
Original post by Milky93
I was the same as you, I hated ICT with a passion at A level and I only got an E in it for AS and dropped it. I was so lucky that I did get 20 points from it, as without those 20 points that I added onto my ucas points, I wouldnt have gotten into the uni that I wanted to. So I suggest doing your best and getting the best grade you can, so it can add to your ucas points!

You don't get points from your AS subjects though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by chlo_evans

Merci beaucoup

loool i feel you, the answer is yes... try get a B revise it
Original post by r-t
You don't get points from your AS subjects though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do if you drop it. Well you did when i did it three years ago
Reply 9
Original post by Milky93
You do if you drop it. Well you did when i did it three years ago

that's what I initially thought but for the majority of the entry requirements I looked online and they all said no to AS UCAS points. its a shame as my dropped AS could have contributed 60 points haha

Quick Reply

Latest