ambermariemorgan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my History coursework my teacher said i got a D/C grade which is worth 25% of the overall grade. However, I really want to to do history for A level. I have 2 history exams this summer, Nazi germany and Medicine through time, if i got A*'s on both of these, what would my overall grade likely be?
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably a B, you would need a medium A* for a low A most likely

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Around a B grade, which is good because that's what you need for A-level.

But in all honesty - you should be getting As and A*s in the subjects you want to do next year. You should be fine for AS, but A2 may be a struggle because that's where the coursework is. I'm taking AS History, but not A2 - simply because of the controlled assessment and the topics (extremely dull and dry).
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Around a B grade, which is good because that's what you need for A-level.

But in all honesty - you should be getting As and A*s in the subjects you want to do next year. You should be fine for AS, but A2 may be a struggle because that's where the coursework is. I'm taking AS History, but not A2 - simply because of the controlled assessment and the topics (extremely dull and dry).
How can you give advice on A2 if you're only in year 11?

I'm sure he'll do fine at A2 if he works hard enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
How can you give advice on A2 if you're only in year 11?I'm sure he'll do fine at A2 if he works hard enough.Posted from TSR Mobile
I can give advice on it because I've researched it thoroughly before I chose it, so I know what I'm getting myself into.

If someone did badly on the GCSE coursework, (generally) they're not going to do well on the A2 one because it's way more demanding according to our teachers.
Ama-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it too late to improve your coursework? What exam board are you doing?
yasx_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did OCR History and I got an A* in my coursework. We also did Nazi Germany and Medicine through time and I remember for my mocks I did really bad, I think I got a C for paper 1 and an E for paper 2, but my teacher put all the grades together to show us what it would be overall and I got a B , even after doing so poorly on the papers! For the real exam I got an A overall, but I don't remember my grades for the individual papers. I know our situations are different, where you didn't do so well in your coursework but I am sure if you do really well in your paper 1 and paper 2 as in get an A* or an A, it will definitely bring your grade up. There were people who got 98/100 in my school so it's possible. You won't be able to get an A* but you should be able to get a B and if you do really well an A. Usually to do AS History you'll need a minimum of grade B or C depending on where you go, for History GCSE. So if you ace your written exams, you should be able to get into AS History. You'll still be able to learn how to do well in coursework over time if you're confident at the moment so don't worry.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ambermariemorgan)
In my History coursework my teacher said i got a D/C grade which is worth 25% of the overall grade. However, I really want to to do history for A level. I have 2 history exams this summer, Nazi germany and Medicine through time, if i got A*'s on both of these, what would my overall grade likely be?
C/D borderline would get you 15% of the possible 25 in the controlled assessment.

To get an A overall you need 80%, so another (80-15=) 65 from the remaining 75%, that's 65/75= 87% average, a high A. So, if you get at least a high A in the exams you should get an A overall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads