The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Degree with a Foundation Year? Let's talk!

Hi,

Im starting at Sheffield university in september studying Philosophy with Foundation!

Anyone else going to be starting in september with a foundation year?

Would be great to get to know a few people also doing a foundation year!

Will :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I will be, I am going to be doing computer science with a foundation year! Btw, do you know how lenient they are if you don't meet their offer?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Hi, I should be starting Physics with Foundation at Sheffield in September.
Reply 3
I'm not sure how lenient they are at all to be honest, sorry!

Its good to hear from some people though, i was beginning to wonder if anyone was doing the Foundation year!

From what i could gather no matter the degree we are going onto a large chunk of the foundation year will be mixed group so I'm guessing we'll probably end up in class together.

Are you both planning to stay in the student halls?
Reply 4
Original post by Wtidbury
I'm not sure how lenient they are at all to be honest, sorry!

Its good to hear from some people though, i was beginning to wonder if anyone was doing the Foundation year!

From what i could gather no matter the degree we are going onto a large chunk of the foundation year will be mixed group so I'm guessing we'll probably end up in class together.

Are you both planning to stay in the student halls?

Ahh fair enough. Yeah I think we will be mixed in some classes but that also depends on our choice since there are modules to choose from. I'm not sure if they mix the science/engineering foundation years with the philosophy foundation years. I applied for Endcliffe so hopefully yes, what about you?
Reply 5
Original post by HassanD
Ahh fair enough. Yeah I think we will be mixed in some classes but that also depends on our choice since there are modules to choose from. I'm not sure if they mix the science/engineering foundation years with the philosophy foundation years. I applied for Endcliffe so hopefully yes, what about you?

I also applied for Endcliffe, looks like really great accommodation, location and social life there, really looking forward too it!
Reply 6
I'm hoping to get one of the studios in Ranmoor - I like my space!
Yep, I'm starting the English Literature with a Foundation Year course in September. Sent my accomodation application a few weeks ago, applied for an en-suite in Endcliffe. Really looking forward to getting started on the course.
Original post by Colin_T
Hi, I should be starting Physics with Foundation at Sheffield in September.

Just finishing that, its a decent course

Don't miss any labs or you will fail the year (no resit years for foundation) but you can miss pretty much all the lectures especially in the first term as long as you rinse the exams.

Also get on Peta Kirk's good side for extra leway at every turn

You'll do a maths test when you get there which if you've done maths A level is a bit of a joke and with further maths it will feel like sats. do well and you wipe off all the maths help sessions you'd otherwise have to go to

Lectures start 9am 5 days a week, total of about 24 contact hours each semester

Original post by Colin_T
I'm hoping to get one of the studios in Ranmoor - I like my space!

I hope you like walking
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by nexthendrix

Don't miss any labs or you will fail the year (no resit years for foundation) but you can miss pretty much all the lectures especially in the first term as long as you rinse the exams.

You'll do a maths test when you get there which if you've done maths A level is a bit of a joke and with further maths it will feel like sats. do well and you wipe off all the maths help sessions you'd otherwise have to go to

I hope you like walking

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by nexthendrix

I hope you like walking

How hard would the maths test be? GCSE standard?
Original post by HassanD
How hard would the maths test be? GCSE standard?

It's up to the easier parts of AS.
hi! what are your offers for the foundation year?
Original post by Interzone Agent
Yep, I'm starting the English Literature with a Foundation Year course in September. Sent my accomodation application a few weeks ago, applied for an en-suite in Endcliffe. Really looking forward to getting started on the course.

hi - what are the conditions of your offer / are you an a level student?
Original post by __DEBASER
hi - what are the conditions of your offer / are you an a level student?

Hey mate, don't think I can help ya, sorry.

I'm 22 and got in on relevant work experience and my personal statement. I went to Sheffield and took maths and English tests and got an unconditional offer.

My highest qualification are GCSEs.
History with foundation year as a mature student. Got in with unconditional offer and staying in halls.
Hey , I'm doing the tests next week . How hard is it ?
Original post by itsdeborahh
Hey , I'm doing the tests next week . How hard is it ?

Hey, if you've revised they're alright. The Maths test I took wasn't too hard, and everything I needed to learn was covered here.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/mash/prefoundation

Well worth taking the mock paper if you've not already, that should set you up well.

The English test was fine too, just read the sample text they gave you thoroughly and make sure you know it pretty well.

What course are you planning to take? Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Interzone Agent
Hey, if you've revised they're alright. The Maths test I took wasn't too hard, and everything I needed to learn was covered here.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/mash/prefoundation

Well worth taking the mock paper if you've not already, that should set you up well.

The English test was fine too, just read the sample text they gave you thoroughly and make sure you know it pretty well.

What course are you planning to take? Best of luck :smile:

Thank you so much ! I'm planning on studying history . One last question , what was the interview like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsdeborahh
Thank you so much ! I'm planning on studying history . One last question , what was the interview like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly it was alright, nothing like a job interview. It's best to treat it as a pretty friendly chat. You'll be asked questions like why you want to study the subject, and a little bit about yourself.

If its the same as it was for the group I was there with, you'll talk to one of the conveners of your course, and then a student welfare rep. Both of them were really friendly, and once you get over the interview nerves, it's quite easy to be relaxed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending