How to approach a source-based question? Watch

Abdo332
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm having a very hard time solving source-based questions. I take AS History (CIE) and one out of my two papers is entirely source-based.

The module I'm taking is Liberalism & Nationalism: Italy & Germany 1848-1871.

Anyone have any tips on how to address these questions? There are usually two parts, part a requires me to compare and contrast most of the time and part b usually has a hypothesis that requires me to evaluate all the sources they have given me. Any tips would be highly appreciated!!
~xSarahx~
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing CIE as well! Although the module I'm taking is The search for international peace and security 1919-1945.

I go over all the past papers and check what the mark scheme states for every question. Usually I notice that things are often repeated so I note it down e.g. if a source is written in the year 1998 then it may have the benefit of hindsight but then again it may not be fully reliable as it wasn't written at the time.

Print out the question paper and make notes on it as you look at the mark scheme. Bullet point under each question what you should include in the answer. Highlight important sources which you might use in the answer as well!
Hope this helps!
fajitamunch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Approach them confidently and with a smile on your face, bound to get their numbers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.17%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.36%
Not feeling great... (44)
27.16%
They are TERRIBLE! (41)