S294 Cell biology preparation advice please Watch

rjmaule
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm signing up for S294 Cell Biology starting October 2015, can anyone that has studied / is studying this course point me in the right direction as to what areas I should focus on for pre course study. There are a lot of on line resources that I have found (eg Khan academy Cellular and molecular biology) however I don't want to waste time building a body of knowledge that will ultimately not be relevant.
Also if anyone has a the S294 study material for sale I'd be interested to hear from you?
Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you studied S104 previously or some other health science module in prep? I can then guide you further!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing this module too so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
rjmaule
Rep:
?
Hi Lambert
Thanks for the reply - within the S104 course materials which booklets are the most relevant (I have just bought S104 from e-bay should arrive next week)?
What level of chemistry knowledge is required - any recommendations for pre course study - I don't want to go too in depth if it's not necessary?
SuperCat - are you starting in October 2015?
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rjmaule)
Hi Lambert
Thanks for the reply - within the S104 course materials which booklets are the most relevant (I have just bought S104 from e-bay should arrive next week)?
What level of chemistry knowledge is required - any recommendations for pre course study - I don't want to go too in depth if it's not necessary?
SuperCat - are you starting in October 2015?
Hi, I am indeed.

I've done S104. I'd imagine the biology book (big blue one) and the chemistry one (big green one) are the most relevant. I've done A-level and S104 wasn't as in depth as that so I really wouldn't worry too much.

I'd possibly brush up on things like cell division, DNA/RNA, basic protein structure (going from amino acids to proteins), probably other basic molecules, sugars, carbohydrates, fats and how the cell membrane is made up. All of that is covered in GCSE-AS level
Lambert87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok cool... Right both you need to brush up on the following:

Hydrogen bonds
Covalent bonding
Peptide bonds
Amino acid structures
Gene expression
Gene suppression
Metalloproteins (important one)

S104 I agree doesn't go into too much detail but this is definitely 2nd year degree level and you will feel it... Very interesting but intense!

Any questions let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lambert87)
Ok cool... Right both you need to brush up on the following:

Hydrogen bonds
Covalent bonding
Peptide bonds
Amino acid structures
Gene expression
Gene suppression
Metalloproteins (important one)

S104 I agree doesn't go into too much detail but this is definitely 2nd year degree level and you will feel it... Very interesting but intense!

Any questions let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Metalloproteins, you're meaning haemoglobin and the like right? :confused:
Lambert87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Zinc fingers
Haemoglobin
Myoglobin

Things like that yes!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Zinc fingers
Haemoglobin
Myoglobin

Things like that yes!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. You haven't done any of the other level 2 biology modules have you? If you have would you be willing to share anything about those?
Lambert87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperCat007)
Thank you. You haven't done any of the other level 2 biology modules have you? If you have would you be willing to share anything about those?
I'm on my last module ever!!! What you doing and I'll try my best!! Have you tried to find the books for the modules, always good to get ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm on my last module ever!!! What you doing and I'll try my best!! Have you tried to find the books for the modules, always good to get ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow! Lucky you, good luck. S295, the ''practical' one SXL 2-something or other and Sk277 (I think, the human biology one). I'm going for full-time after Student Finance are refusing to fund me to finish my degree at a 'normal' uni.

I haven't looked at any materials yet, I'm doing A-levels so I'm cconcentrating on those for now. I have an undergrad biochemistry book and a genetics book though to get me going before the OU materials arrive.
rjmaule
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies so far - really helpful
Are there any 'past papers' available anywhere + what were the TMA's broadly about, are these likely to be the same each time around?
I'm going to try to get my hands on S294 course books ASAP so if anyone's selling?
Lambert87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The TMA's for SK277 have about 3 questions (long ones) and then a essay as the last question!! Human bio is one of the easier level 2's but not "easy"

S294 are just long questions and they are generally a lot harder!!

If you pm me your email address I'll send you PDFs of all the L2 biology modules!

Posted from TSR Mobile
rjmaule
Rep:
?
Thanks for that - PM sent
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The TMA's for SK277 have about 3 questions (long ones) and then a essay as the last question!! Human bio is one of the easier level 2's but not "easy"

S294 are just long questions and they are generally a lot harder!!

If you pm me your email address I'll send you PDFs of all the L2 biology modules!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too, thanks.
Lambert87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperCat007)
Me too, thanks.
Got the first guys email address, can't find yours Supercat??

Posted from TSR Mobile
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got the first guys email address, can't find yours Supercat??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, weird. I've resent it.
spanishovenfork
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyoneI have been offered a credit transfer to Year 3 of BSc Health Sciences of Open University. I currently studied two years of Pharmacy at Aston University. I need advice on whether I should do Year 3 part time or full time, as I will be working at the same time. Any advice on books / resources / revision notes for Year 3 would be hugely appreciated!!Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads