Lottie97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been making a table of quotes to revise for my wider reading but am completely stumped. AQA class 'struggles for identity' as gender, race, sexuality, religion, cultural diversity, class, discrimination, self-knowledge and autonomy, alienation and dislocation. I have a few prose quotes for gender and race but that's about it. And then with 'self-knowledge and autonomy, alienation and dislocation' I don't even have a clue what these mean, I tried looking them up but just got so confused.
If anyone has any poetry/play/prose quotes or even just suggestions I would be so grateful!
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do would like to know any POEMS to do with SEXUALITY please
lilacunicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lottie97)
I've been making a table of quotes to revise for my wider reading but am completely stumped. AQA class 'struggles for identity' as gender, race, sexuality, religion, cultural diversity, class, discrimination, self-knowledge and autonomy, alienation and dislocation. I have a few prose quotes for gender and race but that's about it. And then with 'self-knowledge and autonomy, alienation and dislocation' I don't even have a clue what these mean, I tried looking them up but just got so confused.
If anyone has any poetry/play/prose quotes or even just suggestions I would be so grateful!
For wider-reading, I'm doing:

Play - A Streetcar Named Desire
Prose - The Kite Runner
Poems - I don't know yet... my class have been looking at Tony Harrison but he bores me.

The Kite Runner would link into autonomy as well as alienation and dislocation. Same with 'A Streetcar Named Desire', it links in with alienation and dislocation. Tell me if you'd like for me to share some quotes.

Dislocation would mean not fitting in, feeling like an outsider or feeling as though your not in the right place. Alienation would mean feeling isolated or as though you're amongst strangers.

How are you revising?
Lottie97
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilacunicorn)
For wider-reading, I'm doing:

Play - A Streetcar Named Desire
Prose - The Kite Runner
Poems - I don't know yet... my class have been looking at Tony Harrison but he bores me.

The Kite Runner would link into autonomy as well as alienation and dislocation. Same with 'A Streetcar Named Desire', it links in with alienation and dislocation. Tell me if you'd like for me to share some quotes.

Dislocation would mean not fitting in, feeling like an outsider or feeling as though your not in the right place. Alienation would mean feeling isolated or as though you're amongst strangers.

How are you revising?
I would be so grateful if you could share some quotes! And so far I've made a table with the list of themes down one side, then prose, poetry and drama along the top and then I'm just filling in the grid!
So far I've used 'The Colour Purple', 'Small Island', 'Slaughterhouse 5', 'Cloud 9', 'Educating Rita' and 'Great Gatsby' for some quotes, if you wanted I'd happily share them!
And then I've been doing poetry past papers (Carol Ann Duffy, The Feminine Gospels).
I've had a few attempts at annotating unseen and trying to link with wider reading but thats the part of the exam I find hardest hence why I'm making a table so I can pick and chose and revise from it!
And thanks so much for that definition, makes a lot more sense now!
lilacunicorn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would be so grateful if you could share some quotes! And so far I've made a table with the list of themes down one side, then prose, poetry and drama along the top and then I'm just filling in the grid!
So far I've used 'The Colour Purple', 'Small Island', 'Slaughterhouse 5', 'Cloud 9', 'Educating Rita' and 'Great Gatsby' for some quotes, if you wanted I'd happily share them!
And then I've been doing poetry past papers (Carol Ann Duffy, The Feminine Gospels).
I've had a few attempts at annotating unseen and trying to link with wider reading but thats the part of the exam I find hardest hence why I'm making a table so I can pick and chose and revise from it!
And thanks so much for that definition, makes a lot more sense now!
Absolutely! I have a few quotes on autonomy from 'The Color Purple' too (I did my coursework on autonomy). Will share after dinner, would appreciate it if you could share some of yours too!

I'm finding the contextual linking question pretty hard too. Need to brush up on literary devices so I can catch out language part.
Lottie97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Valyrian)
I do would like to know any POEMS to do with SEXUALITY please
Carol Ann Duffy - White Writing, but I'm going to the library tomorrow to have a look for some poetry to use so if I find any more about sexuality I'll let you know!
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Carol Ann Duffy - White Writing, but I'm going to the library tomorrow to have a look for some poetry to use so if I find any more about sexuality I'll let you know!
thank you :kiss:
Lottie97
Rep:
?
Absolutely! I have a few quotes on autonomy from 'The Color Purple' too (I did my coursework on autonomy). Will share after dinner, would appreciate it if you could share some of yours too!

I'm finding the contextual linking question pretty hard too. Need to brush up on literary devices so I can catch out language part.
That's something I need to work on as well, it worries me how the contextual linking could be on so many different topics!

And here are some of my quotes for you,
The Color Purple - ‘you a woman […] you nothing at all’ ‘the plans she talked about were grander then anything they could even conceive of for colored people.’
Cloud 9 (Play) - ‘My wife is all I dreamt a wife should be, and everything she is she owes to me’ ‘A boy has no business having feelings’ ‘JOSHUA, his black servant played by a white’ ‘I do, but it’s a sin and a crime and it’s also wrong’ (Here he's referring to being gay)
Slaughterhouse 5 - ‘is a trained nurse, which is a lovely thing for a woman to be.’
Educating Rita (Play)- ‘He was moanin’ all the time, y’know, ‘Come Off the pill, let’s have a baby’. I told him I’d come off it, just to shut him up.’ 'if I'd started takin' school seriously I would have had to become different from me mates, an' that's not allowed.' 'one day she'll be like the rest of them, talking seriously, confidently, with knowledge, livin' a civilised life.' (These last two quotes I wasn't sure what 'theme' they were but I found them interesting!)
Small Island - 'Have you seen Sugar? She’s one of you.’ (About race, a them and us attitude)
Great Gatsby - 'They were careless people Tom and Daisy, they smashed up things and creatures and retreated to their money’
I'm majorly lacking poetry though so that is tomorrows task!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To get the best marks, you should not link the Sec A extract theme with another theme you have read. For instance; last year's exam paper was all about isolation and religion. Therefore, don't link the extract with sexuality. You need to stay focused and contingent with what you are writing about. You may make a small reference to sexuality causes isolation, but if religion is the one that caused isolation, try and look at that in your wider reading. The best marks usually only have 3 or 4 wider readings and they go in-depth with each of their wider reading. Don't think by referring to more than 3 or 4 wider readings will get you the marks because it won't. It's easier to know 3 texts inside out. Obviously, not all texts will have all the struggle for identity themes, but if you know about 3 texts inside out that relate to more than one theme, then you should be alright.
lilacunicorn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's something I need to work on as well, it worries me how the contextual linking could be on so many different topics!

And here are some of my quotes for you,
The Color Purple - ‘you a woman […] you nothing at all’ ‘the plans she talked about were grander then anything they could even conceive of for colored people.’
Cloud 9 (Play) - ‘My wife is all I dreamt a wife should be, and everything she is she owes to me’ ‘A boy has no business having feelings’ ‘JOSHUA, his black servant played by a white’ ‘I do, but it’s a sin and a crime and it’s also wrong’ (Here he's referring to being gay)
Slaughterhouse 5 - ‘is a trained nurse, which is a lovely thing for a woman to be.’
Educating Rita (Play)- ‘He was moanin’ all the time, y’know, ‘Come Off the pill, let’s have a baby’. I told him I’d come off it, just to shut him up.’ 'if I'd started takin' school seriously I would have had to become different from me mates, an' that's not allowed.' 'one day she'll be like the rest of them, talking seriously, confidently, with knowledge, livin' a civilised life.' (These last two quotes I wasn't sure what 'theme' they were but I found them interesting!)
Small Island - 'Have you seen Sugar? She’s one of you.’ (About race, a them and us attitude)
Great Gatsby - 'They were careless people Tom and Daisy, they smashed up things and creatures and retreated to their money’
I'm majorly lacking poetry though so that is tomorrows task!
Thanks! I'm struggling with how to answer the contextual linking question too. One of the past papers is related to Nigerian politics, and I'm not sure how to compare/contrast it in with any of my wider reading. I'm fine with the wider reading stuff, it's just the unseen extract which is stressing me out! Have you done any past questions? It'd be nice to compare answers if you have (of course, if you don't mind).

Okay, so for alienation and dislocation:

A Streetcar Named desire

a) " How pretty the sky is, I ought to go there on a rocket that never comes down."

b) "I can't stand a naked light bulb, any more than I can stand a rude remark or vulgar action"

c) "We're going to be very Bohemian. We are going to pretend that we are sitting in a little artists' cafe on the Left Bank in Paris!"

d) "I don't want realism."

e) "There isn't a goddam thing but imagination!"

For The Kite Runner I feel as though all the quotes on this page link in with alienation and dislocation: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/the-ki...er/quotes.html

Autonomy in The Color Purple:

a) "We know a roofleaf is not Jesus Christ, but in its own humble way, is it not God?"

b) "God is inside you and inside everyone else. You come into the world with God. But only them that search for it find it."

c) "He beat me like he beat the children...I make myself wood"
Lottie97
Rep:
?
Thanks! I'm struggling with how to answer the contextual linking question too. One of the past papers is related to Nigerian politics, and I'm not sure how to compare/contrast it in with any of my wider reading. I'm fine with the wider reading stuff, it's just the unseen extract which is stressing me out! Have you done any past questions? It'd be nice to compare answers if you have (of course, if you don't mind).

Okay, so for alienation and dislocation:

A Streetcar Named desire

a) " How pretty the sky is, I ought to go there on a rocket that never comes down."

b) "I can't stand a naked light bulb, any more than I can stand a rude remark or vulgar action"

c) "We're going to be very Bohemian. We are going to pretend that we are sitting in a little artists' cafe on the Left Bank in Paris!"

d) "I don't want realism."

e) "There isn't a goddam thing but imagination!"

For The Kite Runner I feel as though all the quotes on this page link in with alienation and dislocation: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/the-ki...er/quotes.html

Autonomy in The Color Purple:

a) "We know a roofleaf is not Jesus Christ, but in its own humble way, is it not God?"

b) "God is inside you and inside everyone else. You come into the world with God. But only them that search for it find it."

c) "He beat me like he beat the children...I make myself wood"
Me attempting to do past papers is more like me looking at the extract with complete confusion and procrastinating But at some point either this week or next I'm planning on doing some past papers, most likely the week we go back to school as I'm going to ask my teacher if she has any suggestions for poetry wider reading for me! But once I've done some I'll certainly share them with you!
And thank you so much for them quotes!
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
To get the best marks, you should not link the Sec A extract theme with another theme you have read. For instance; last year's exam paper was all about isolation and religion. Therefore, don't link the extract with sexuality. You need to stay focused and contingent with what you are writing about. You may make a small reference to sexuality causes isolation, but if religion is the one that caused isolation, try and look at that in your wider reading. The best marks usually only have 3 or 4 wider readings and they go in-depth with each of their wider reading. Don't think by referring to more than 3 or 4 wider readings will get you the marks because it won't. It's easier to know 3 texts inside out. Obviously, not all texts will have all the struggle for identity themes, but if you know about 3 texts inside out that relate to more than one theme, then you should be alright.
Hi again, lol the essay is coming on. Just a question- after looking at past papers- I realised that there were papers on events that happened in the 20th century. For example, one was speaking about a girl who wrote so and so about the Nazi and moving to America. Another was on exploitation of Oil companies in Nigeria then another was on Ireland. So, how would we 'know' these things. Do we read books surrounding these areas? This is what confuses me- I went to the website of AQA to look at the themes- OP listed them and these major events had many themes. I tried seeing what I could link them to. I don't know if it's the extract that tells you them theme to focus on or the first part where it gives you a little insight to what, who, when, where etc.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand exactly what you mean. Its literally about anything.

But i have seen the extract for the Nazi one. Well that one especially is all about how she tries to express her identity with nazi trying to take over her country. So this can go into many categories like dislocation. By the Nazis coming into jer country, its ruining her heritage, her identity. Through writing in a letter, it allows the reader to capture her inner most thoughts of her identity.

From this, its not just the theme you can relate but the form. However, you can use all sorts of literature if you've read widely. For instance Another Country novel is opposite and looks at how James (the author) despises his own country, because of how its run. So he escapes to try and reinvent his identity. You can link this with dislocation theme if you had good quotes. Purple Hibiscus is another novel. Its about how colionalisation in Africa is ruining the young female protagonist's faith with Christian beliefs from the main priest thats taking over the church and the towns religion. That can be related to the nazis and the extract.

So, you arent expected to know what is coming up. Its to test your ability on how you understand the struggle of identity through your own wider reading and understanding. However if you dont have anything thematically, try and look at form. So the nazi thing is from a diary. If you have anything from a diary, use it and compare how identity is used through this form. Also, you can contrast form. Purple Hibiscus uses newspapers throughout to state what religion is going on. So you can contrast the form like howbthe present struggle for identity in the forms.

Make sure you understand, if you cant solidify what theme is being presented, bring all your knowledge of language form and structure to your answer and say things like "thus, through these metaphors thw struggle for identity is shaped" or "by using diary entries and news paper extracts, the form presents a struggle of intentity showing.." and etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CME
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Prose texts - Things fall apart, the colour purple, the kite runner

Plays - Death of a salesman and/or freedom of the City

Poems Gender : Planetarium by Adrienne Rich
Poems Nationhood :Identity Intact by Deidre Currie
Poems Race : Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes
Poems Immigration : Refugee Blues by W H Auden
Poems Sexuality: Yes, of course it hurts by Karin Boye and/or Funeral Blues W H Auden
_quantumsuicide
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've completed the contextual linking question from June 2011 (regarding oil extraction in Nigeria), anyone willing to give me critical feedback and/or mark it?
Adrianasilvaxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

What spec are you doing? And AS or A2? Because I'm doing English lit away spec A and might be able to help you with some wider reading?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its clearly the same Spec as you if you recognise what this post is about!
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
I understand exactly what you mean. Its literally about anything.

But i have seen the extract for the Nazi one. Well that one especially is all about how she tries to express her identity with nazi trying to take over her country. So this can go into many categories like dislocation. By the Nazis coming into jer country, its ruining her heritage, her identity. Through writing in a letter, it allows the reader to capture her inner most thoughts of her identity.

From this, its not just the theme you can relate but the form. However, you can use all sorts of literature if you've read widely. For instance Another Country novel is opposite and looks at how James (the author) despises his own country, because of how its run. So he escapes to try and reinvent his identity. You can link this with dislocation theme if you had good quotes. Purple Hibiscus is another novel. Its about how colionalisation in Africa is ruining the young female protagonist's faith with Christian beliefs from the main priest thats taking over the church and the towns religion. That can be related to the nazis and the extract.

So, you arent expected to know what is coming up. Its to test your ability on how you understand the struggle of identity through your own wider reading and understanding. However if you dont have anything thematically, try and look at form. So the nazi thing is from a diary. If you have anything from a diary, use it and compare how identity is used through this form. Also, you can contrast form. Purple Hibiscus uses newspapers throughout to state what religion is going on. So you can contrast the form like howbthe present struggle for identity in the forms.

Make sure you understand, if you cant solidify what theme is being presented, bring all your knowledge of language form and structure to your answer and say things like "thus, through these metaphors thw struggle for identity is shaped" or "by using diary entries and news paper extracts, the form presents a struggle of intentity showing.." and etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, this seems very difficult. I now don't know what books to read.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pick things that share the same themes or more than one. The Colour Purple, Things Fall apart (really short), Purple Hibiscus are post colonial lit which are good novels to look at. Race, female identity, religion, family, location etc etc.

Others are texts like Saved, Handmaids Tale, Skirrid Hill, One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Help, Scoop, Their eyes Were watching Gadot, Equus. All these are good for Struggle of Identity.
Valyrian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher is making us write on each side of a4 paper different themes for struggle for identity and I'm finding it hard to find plays/poems!If anyone could help me with these topics I would be eternally greatful:- Displacement --> lacking a tonne of poems and plays- Religious Persecution --> lacking in plays- Refugee --> lacking in novels and plays - Dystopian Politics --> extreme lack in plays and poems- Political Prisoners --> poems and plays please I'll be happy to exchange my quotes as well since I'm struggling like hell :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (50)
37.88%
No (68)
51.52%
I don't know (14)
10.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise