The Student Room Group

Getting into Oxford

Hello everyone!:ciao:
This might be slightly tedious to read, but I'd love if you could spare some time to help me with deciding about my current academic situation at AS and why I want to apply to Oxford.

Right, so firstly, I'm a student from Northern Ireland (originally from Moldova - but I've lived here for 10 years) studying Chemistry, Maths, German and Software at A-Level, and a while back in March, after a UCAS convention, I got my hands on an Oxford prospectus and fell in love with everything about Oxford. So I thought long and hard about what course I'd like to do, and I have come to a decision - the course which appeals to me most is joint Classics and Modern Languages (German). Why is that so?

Well, for the language side, I have learnt German since I was 6 and have a huge interest in German culture and literature. German has always been my highest scoring subject (I have got an A* for both mock and exam since Year 8 and an A in the German mock). Also, I'm waiting any day now for an email to say whether or not I was accepted for the UK-German Connection Scholarship programme (you might have heard of it - 4 weeks for free touring around Germany in July, however only 8 people are picked from the UK. And my own citizenship caused some complications at the start - my only hope is for the German side to make an exception - provided that my application was exceptional!:s-smilie:)

As for Classics, I have always had a burning interest in Ancient Greece and Rome since I was a child. We always go to Greece on holidays, as well as Rome (which is the best-looking city in the world). My parents also teach me some Greek from time to time. In any case, I want to apply for the Course II side of Classics. It is true, I don't study English or History at A-Level, but I have got an A* in English every year since Year 8, and came joint first at GCSEs in my school (which I always find amusing). At any rate, I can write essays quite nicely. I got an A in GCSE History, so that's not too bad.

I loved Oxford, for the variety of people and the look of the place. If I will apply, I'll try for Magdalen, because of its proximity to the parks and botanic garden and the Old Style architecture.

NOW FOR THE BAD PART - what's hindering me is firstly grades, and then if I get through, the interview. 1) Gradeswise, I'm a little worried about grades at AS. This summer I hope to get three As (German/Chem/Software) with a worst case scenario B in Maths. If I get those I'm confident I can get an A*(German)AA and maybe B at A2. However, does Oxford look at your AS mocks? Because I did atrociously in them. And for your GCSEs, does this seem legit to you - (German A*, English A*, Religion A*, Maths A, Geography A, History A, French A, Chemistry A, Biology B, Physics B and ICT B?
2)And even if I get through, what can I expect from the interview - will there be two in my case? What specific written work must I submit? What literature must I go though?

It's just I'm really confused about what to do, and if I should give up on Oxford altogether. Do you think my grades and achievements fit the criteria, and do I stand a chance to be shortlisted?

I'd really appreciate some help and tips. Thanks guys.

P.S. My parents are at odd with this. They want me to do something Chemistry or Law-related - so I'd make money. When I mentioned languages to them, they told me "Be serious, we don't want you to be unemployed or be a teacher". I haven't told them about this course yet. They said that if I get the grades, I could apply to Oxford for anything I wanted - if I do, do you think I could convince them, that this course is a good idea?
(edited 9 years ago)
AS mocks wont be considered during your application.
Your GCSE A* grades are a little low in Oxford terms, though the languages are a little lenient with this compared to something like the Sciences - providing you can show clear examples that your excellent at your chosen language.
You may have anywhere between 1 to 4 interviews, I would say the average is probably 2, totally depends on the cohort and how tutors/colleges are looking at arranging students really. Doesn't matter how many you have - its not a reflection on your application at all, more Oxford administration matters.

Your parents have no say in the matter to be honest. I dont know if you have been to many admissions events but the number one thing they will preach is do the course that YOU want to do and that YOU enjoy. If you apply to a course because your forced to it will massively show in your application/interview and your unlikely to be happy or succeed.
Reply 2
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Hello everyone!:ciao:
This might be slightly tedious to read, but I'd love if you could spare some time to help me with deciding about my current academic situation at AS and why I want to apply to Oxford.

Right, so firstly, I'm a student from Northern Ireland (originally from Moldova - but I've lived here for 10 years) studying Chemistry, Maths, German and Software at A-Level, and a while back in March, after a UCAS convention, I got my hands on an Oxford prospectus and fell in love with everything about Oxford. So I thought long and hard about what course I'd like to do, and I have come to a decision - the course which appeals to me most is joint Classics and Modern Languages (German). Why is that so?

Well, for the language side, I have learnt German since I was 6 and have a huge interest in German culture and literature. German has always been my highest scoring subject (I have got an A* for both mock and exam since Year 8 and an A in the German mock). Also, I'm waiting any day now for an email to say whether or not I was accepted for the UK-German Connection Scholarship programme (you might have heard of it - 4 weeks for free touring around Germany in July, however only 8 people are picked from the UK. And my own citizenship caused some complications at the start - my only hope is for the German side to make an exception - provided that my application was exceptional!:s-smilie:)

As for Classics, I have always had a burning interest in Ancient Greece and Rome since I was a child. We always go to Greece on holidays, as well as Rome (which is the best-looking city in the world). My parents also teach me some Greek from time to time. In any case, I want to apply for the Course II side of Classics. It is true, I don't study English or History at A-Level, but I have got an A* in English every year since Year 8, and came joint first at GCSEs in my school (which I always find amusing). At any rate, I can write essays quite nicely. I got an A in GCSE History, so that's not too bad.

I loved Oxford, for the variety of people and the look of the place. If I will apply, I'll try for Magdalen, because of its proximity to the parks and botanic garden and the Old Style architecture.

NOW FOR THE BAD PART - what's hindering me is firstly grades, and then if I get through, the interview. 1) Gradeswise, I'm a little worried about grades at AS. This summer I hope to get three As (German/Chem/Software) with a worst case scenario B in Maths. If I get those I'm confident I can get an A*(German)AA and maybe B at A2. However, does Oxford look at your AS mocks? Because I did atrociously in them. And for your GCSEs, does this seem legit to you - (German A*, English A*, Religion A*, Maths A, Geography A, History A, French A, Chemistry A, Biology B, Physics B and ICT B?
2)And even if I get through, what can I expect from the interview - will there be two in my case? What specific written work must I submit? What literature must I go though?

It's just I'm really confused about what to do, and if I should give up on Oxford altogether. Do you think my grades and achievements fit the criteria, and do I stand a chance to be shortlisted?

I'd really appreciate some help and tips. Thanks guys.

P.S. My parents are at odd with this. They want me to do something Chemistry or Law-related - so I'd make money. When I mentioned languages to them, they told me "Be serious, we don't want you to be unemployed or be a teacher". I haven't told them about this course yet. They said that if I get the grades, I could apply to Oxford for anything I wanted - if I do, do you think I could convince them, that this course is a good idea?

For many years there has been a lack of demand for chemists and my legal friends tell me there is an over-supply of lawyers. These are not guaranteed professions whatever your parents might think. Oxford graduates are in demand because of the process they go through to become Oxford graduates. It's not guaranteed but it's a rite of passage for theology or oriental studies or any other subject. There is a very good reason why they want you to be committed to your subject.
I just wander if I don't really do any essay-based subjects except German (sort-of), will they seriously consider me for a classics course? And also, do they tell you what to submit for your written pieces.
I guess I'll have to write a stunning PS in this case, to express my undying love of books and culture.
Any tips on writing a classics/languages PS?

P.S. Sean Bean is filming in my town (Armagh) for the "Chronicles of Frankenstein" and I literally stood two feet from him and said hi. I wanted an autograph, but those weren't allowed - I got to try his top hat on though!:biggrin:

Your GCSE A* grades are a little low in Oxford terms, though the languages are a little lenient with this compared to something like the Sciences

I agree, but do you think my skills in German, English, my study of literature and ancient/medieval history and my attendance at our Debating club could justify my selection?
(edited 9 years ago)
From my experience, your performance in any admissions tests you might have to sit is more important, since this becomes a deciding factor in whether or not to invite you to interview. Your GCSEs are slightly weaker than average, but they're still good so you have a chance. You're likely to have two interviews, but maybe more if you're called to another college. The main thing is that you apply for something you will love studying. :smile:
Could anyone please recommend me a good reading list for Classics and German, for me to go over this summer?

It would really help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending