GoPro Hero 4 black or silver? Will 4k work on my laptop (2011 Macbook air) Watch

NoName1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I am planning to travel come the start of 2016 for 7 months backpacking different countries including SEA and Australia. I don't have any video cameras so am currently looking at the GoPro Hero 4's and have a few questions.

The black version appeals to me simply due to the quality it has to offer. However, i intend on taking my 2011 macbook air. Does this version support 4k? Is there any point me getting a 4k video camera or am i still able to download a 4k file to my computer and watch it in 1440p or a smaller format? When i update my laptop i want to be able to have 4k video's to play back but will this be possible?

Any feedback would be amazing

Thanks
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NoName1997)
Hello,

I am planning to travel come the start of 2016 for 7 months backpacking different countries including SEA and Australia. I don't have any video cameras so am currently looking at the GoPro Hero 4's and have a few questions.

The black version appeals to me simply due to the quality it has to offer. However, i intend on taking my 2011 macbook air. Does this version support 4k? Is there any point me getting a 4k video camera or am i still able to download a 4k file to my computer and watch it in 1440p or a smaller format? When i update my laptop i want to be able to have 4k video's to play back but will this be possible?

Thanks
There is little downside to the 4k version, if you can afford it..

Except that it will take up more memory card to store the video on, as the file-size will be bigger..

- Your laptop will not be able to show the 4k, but it would give you more flexibility if you are editing your video (you can crop better, or just shrink the whole thing down to HD)

So really.. if you are ok with editing it a bit, there is no reason to get the HD one, except to save on storage.

(though I would say, that unless you are using it for action purposes.. there are better cameras out there then the GoPro serries, for general travel use..)
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,

Thanks
What do you mean by "support 4K"? It won't display video in full 4K because it's not a 4K screen, but it will support it in the sense that it will play 4K files at a lower resolution and you'll be able to work with 4K video in editing software, although depending on the work you want to do it could potentially be very taxing on the low powered CPU.
NoName1997
Rep:
?
For the best results what would be the best quality to film at so it would have the best playback results? (I might not be making much sense, Im not too good with computers haha). Ill be using the GoPro lots of skydiving, bungee jumping, cliff diving and other similar activities.

Also am i right in saying that if i film at 4k, i can shrink the file down to say 2.7k once downloaded onto my laptop?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the best results what would be the best quality to film at so it would have the best playback results? (I might not be making much sense, Im not too good with computers haha). Ill be using the GoPro lots of skydiving, bungee jumping, cliff diving and other similar activities.

Also am i right in saying that if i film at 4k, i can shrink the file down to say 2.7k once downloaded onto my laptop?
ah ok, good good.

Its always worth checking what people are going to use it before - as I have seen some students buy a GoPro, for travelling.. just to use for holiday video snaps type things.. then end up looking puzzled when it arrives and it does not have many buttons, no screen, etc.

But for your uses, its perfect.

4k downsampled to HD, normally gives you better quality, and much much more flexibility in the edit then, just HD.

Really, the bigger plus for the black, then the silver for me.. is its ability to shoot 120fps at 1080p

If you are doing anything action based, then 120fps in HD can really help in the edit, if you want to slow the action down...
NoName1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
ah ok, good good.

Its always worth checking what people are going to use it before - as I have seen some students buy a GoPro, for travelling.. just to use for holiday video snaps type things.. then end up looking puzzled when it arrives and it does not have many buttons, no screen, etc.

But for your uses, its perfect.

4k downsampled to HD, normally gives you better quality, and much much more flexibility in the edit then, just HD.

Really, the bigger plus for the black, then the silver for me.. is its ability to shoot 120fps at 1080p

If you are doing anything action based, then 120fps in HD can really help in the edit, if you want to slow the action down...

During these sort of activities (skydiving, bungee jumping etc...) what setting is best to record at? Would there be any point me recording in 2.7k 60fps? or is 1440 80fps or 1080 120fps more effective for a high quality video?

I really know nothing regarding video cameras and I'm getting more into them now so any advice regarding which setting is best for what video would be amazing
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
During these sort of activities (skydiving, bungee jumping etc...) what setting is best to record at? Would there be any point me recording in 2.7k 60fps? or is 1440 80fps or 1080 120fps more effective for a high quality video?

I really know nothing regarding video cameras and I'm getting more into them now so any advice regarding which setting is best for what video would be amazing
depends on what frame-rate you need..

Bassically - the higher the resolution the more flexibilty and potential quality you can bring when editing the footage..

The higher the frame-rate the better it will be if you want to slow the footage down afterwards (as many do who shoot GoPro action)
megan-garner6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
There is little downside to the 4k version, if you can afford it..

Except that it will take up more memory card to store the video on, as the file-size will be bigger..

- Your laptop will not be able to show the 4k, but it would give you more flexibility if you are editing your video (you can crop better, or just shrink the whole thing down to HD)

So really.. if you are ok with editing it a bit, there is no reason to get the HD one, except to save on storage.

(though I would say, that unless you are using it for action purposes.. there are better cameras out there then the GoPro serries, for general travel use..)
Which cameras would you recommend for travelling? I'm also hoping to film night-lapse but don't want to spend more than £300! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads