The Student Room Group

Maths or Geography? Help!!!

I need your help!

I am currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Geography and World Development. I am predicted all As for this year and my teachers think I could get a couple of A*s next year.

I want to go to uni and then go on to teach geography. My problem is that I am stuck on what to do. Just Geography or Maths as well? I know I want to do Geography but I cant decide whether or not to do maths as well as part of a joint honours. I love geography and have a mild interest in Maths. I feel that i couldnt commit to maths for three years but I also feel like it would be a waste to not do it, especially since maths skills are so sought after nowadays.

Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by NLA1998
I need your help!

I am currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Geography and World Development. I am predicted all As for this year and my teachers think I could get a couple of A*s next year.

I want to go to uni and then go on to teach geography. My problem is that I am stuck on what to do. Just Geography or Maths as well? I know I want to do Geography but I cant decide whether or not to do maths as well as part of a joint honours. I love geography and have a mild interest in Maths. I feel that i couldnt commit to maths for three years but I also feel like it would be a waste to not do it, especially since maths skills are so sought after nowadays.

Please help!

If you can't commit yourself to maths then don't do it just for the sake of it being in demand. It's better to just do geography and get a better grade in it than doing joint and being demotivated with the maths and therefore doing worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NLA1998
I need your help!

Please help!

How many Geography and Maths degrees have you found?
I agree with the above poster, don't force yourself to do maths just because you think it is more desirable. You will already have A levels in maths and further maths, that shows you are numerate - there's no need to do a degree in the subject as well, especially if you want to be a teacher.

That said, if you would like to do some maths but not spend half your time on it, why not consider doing Geography with Maths (75% / 25% split) or something like Geophysics?
Reply 4
if you do a BSc Geography (physical geography) degree then you will find that there are a lot of maths and statistics skills within the course anyway. I study BSc/BA geography and i have completed a stats module this year and in each of the next 2 years there are key skills modules which are based around statistics and maths. it is good cause they are used in a practical sense so you can see how they are applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending