The Student Room Group

Should Niqab be banned ?

Poll

Should Niqab Be banned

The poll is hidden but if you have a reason let us know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is that the full ninja suit? Yes it should
Reply 2
Original post by minor bun engine
Is that the full ninja suit? Yes it should

I'm Muslim and agree that the full face veil is not necessary at all
Reply 3
Facial expression is important for communication, it seems antisocial and also completely hides who they are
No, people should be allowed to wear whatever they want
I voted yes. I but I feel that I should add a clarifier:

What people wear in their private homes is entirely up to them. Likewise, we should be entitled to wear what we want in public, so long as it is decent. In public, there is no need for me to see everyones face, and people should be allowed to cover their face with whatever they need.

However, private buisnesses should have the right to ban them should they wish. They should also be banned in public buildings, airports, train stations, and some other places where seeing someones face is relevant, or anywhere where I.D is needed.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Not this again.No,they shouldn't be banned.
No.
Reply 8
No. If people are allowed to wear as little as they want, then they should be allowed to cover as much as they want.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Not this again.No,they shouldn't be banned.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No.

Original post by HAnwar
No. If people are allowed to wear as little as they want, then they should be allowed to cover as much as they want.

What about in situations where identification is needed? Or in public buildings?
Reply 10
Original post by Farm_Ecology
What about in situations where identification is needed? Or in public buildings?

I'm sure getting a woman to check for identification purposes won't hurt.
Absolutely not.
A muslim woman does not have to cover her face. Therefore I see no reason why a women wearing a niqab should refuse to be identified by her face. If God allows a women to keep her face open, should we be the ones to refuse? God knows best.
No, as much as I hate it, I think it's wrong to take away someone's right to wear the clothes they want.

That said it shouldn't be given special treatment either, for example if you go to a place that wouldn't allow you to wear a motorbike helmet or a balaclava, like a bank, you should have to take off the top of the Niqab as well.
Original post by Zargabaath
No, as much as I hate it, I think it's wrong to take away someone's right to wear the clothes they want.

That said it shouldn't be given special treatment either, for example if you go to a place that wouldn't allow you to wear a motorbike helmet or a balaclava, like a bank, you should have to take off the top of the Niqab as well.

^this
I'm an atheist and I really don't like religions like islam for obvious reasons, but I completely support the principle of freedom of expression (which includes speech, religion, media, appearance, etc) because it's not one person's business what another person does with themselves at nobody's expense. and on that same rule, I think banks (and whatever private establishment) should be allowed to discriminate for security reasons against people wearing the niqab, because it is not the niqab wearer's right to control another person's property if they do not own it
No.
Freedom of personal style and expression, I'm all for.

But that story of a defendant objecting to a judge's request to remove her full face veil in court... successfully... I'm sorry, but there's just some amount of respect that needs to be shown and the judge and jury simply need to be able to see your face at a criminal trial. The law is meant to equalise everyone (but obviously, sadly, that's not always the case).

Quick Reply

Latest