Maths-Cosine rule

Watch this thread
RBalboa
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How do you do the cosine rule?
I know the equation, but please can someone give me an example of a question and show me the method?
Thank you
username1750959
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago

Hope this helps
RBalboa
Rep:
(Original post by LeFeuilly)

Hope this helps
Hope what helps?
its just a square box?
username1750959
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RBalboa)
Hope what helps?
its just a square box?
Can you not see the image?
Badges: 10
Report 7 years ago
Find the length of BC.

AnswerDid you get 4.86cm? If so, well done.
If not, remember to use the formula:
a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc cos A
Substitute the values into the formula.
a2 = 72 + 32 - 2 × 3 × 7 cos 35
a2 = 58 - 42 cos 35
a2 = 23.5956
a = 4.86cm
RBalboa
Rep:
Can you not see the image?
No not really PM me
RBalboa
Rep:
(Original post by AyshaU)
Find the length of BC.

AnswerDid you get 4.86cm? If so, well done.
If not, remember to use the formula:
a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc cos A
Substitute the values into the formula.
a2 = 72 + 32 - 2 × 3 × 7 cos 35
a2 = 58 - 42 cos 35
a2 = 23.5956
a = 4.86cm
It need to calculate the angle of ABC but all the question gives me is a length of 8.1cm 7.5cm and the angle ACB 30degrees
RBalboa
Rep:
http://imgur.com/xrLTp7J
use this, it's my question
username1750959
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No not really PM me
Ehhh I'll just type it up:

82°
/\
5cm (c)/ \ 6cm (b)
/____ \
a cm

Find "a" correct to 3 s.f.

a²=b²+c²-2bc cosA
a=√6²+5² -2 (6)(5) cos82
a= 7.26 cm
Smaug123
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I know the equation, but please can someone give me an example of a question and show me the method?
Thank you
It's basically just Pythagoras. If you take a non-rightangled triangle and drop a perpendicular from one vertex to get two right-angled triangles, and apply Pythagoras to one of them and use the definitions of cos and sin on the other one, you get the cosine rule. There's no magic about it; you just use it in the same kinds of ways you'd use Pythagoras.
RBalboa
Rep:

82°
/\
5cm (c)/ \ 6cm (b)
/____ \
a cm

a²=b²+c²-2bc cosA
a=√6²+5² -2 (6)(5) cos82
a= 7.26 cm
Look above at the link I sent that's what my question looks like
RBalboa
Rep:
(Original post by Smaug123)
It's basically just Pythagoras. If you take a non-rightangled triangle and drop a perpendicular from one vertex to get two right-angled triangles, and apply Pythagoras to one of them and use the definitions of cos and sin on the other one, you get the cosine rule. There's no magic about it; you just use it in the same kinds of ways you'd use Pythagoras.
err okay I think
username1750959
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

82°
/\
5cm (c)/ \ 6cm (b)
/____ \
a cm

a²=b²+c²-2bc cosA
a=√6²+5² -2 (6)(5) cos82
a= 7.26 cm
If you're using EDEXCEL iGCSE Mathematics A book 2, it's Exercise 87 question one (and sorry about the whole image fiasco - I can't send anything by mail -_-")
RBalboa
Rep:
If you're using EDEXCEL iGCSE Mathematics A book 2, it's Exercise 87 question one (and sorry about the whole image fiasco - I can't send anything by mail -_-")
I'm not but if u click the link I sent you then my question will come up
username1750959
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm not but if u click the link I sent you then my question will come up
So, like the people above me have said, cosine rule is basically just substitution + pythagoras. In regards to your question, you need to use the SINE rule to answer part a. As for part b, you need 1/2 ab sin c to solve that.

Hope that helps
iMacJack
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thank you
You can use the cosine rule predominantly when you're given two sides and an included angle (an included angle means an angle which is subtended between the two lengths.)
RBalboa
Rep:
(Original post by iMacJack)
You can use the cosine rule predominantly when you're given two sides and an included angle (an included angle means an angle which is subtended between the two lengths.)
I cant use the sine rule because i have a length and angle and another lenghh but the angle isnt included between both lengths
username1750959
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I cant use the sine rule because i have a length and angle and another lenghh but the angle isnt included between both lengths
I give up trying to explain this well with just text.

So:

If that fails to work: http://tinypic.com/r/15rxede/8
Attached files
Badges: 10
Report 7 years ago
It need to calculate the angle of ABC but all the question gives me is a length of 8.1cm 7.5cm and the angle ACB 30degrees

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You wanted a question and I gave you one with the method what are you still confused on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads