Does anyone else find the big butt trend a bit... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
... Ridiculous?

I was talking to my mum about that Money Supermarket advert earlier, the one with the guy showing off his big arse, and my mum said it's basically taking the mick out of that "stupid fad for woman with massive butts".

And she is right, it is a stupid trend. Yes more shapely and round butts are nice, and should be appreciated. But the trend for ginormous bums like Kim K, Iggy Azaela, and Nicki Minaj is just ridiculous. Because not only does it look laughable but it's also wholly unrealistic. Who has a butt like that whilst having a slim rest of the body? That's not a squatt butt, that's just a fake butt.

It's giving girls really distorted ideas of what's attractive, because not only are slim figures idolised, but alongside that, a massive bum is. And it is very rare to have both, and in most cases only achieved by some form of surgery.

I think in the future we'd look back at this very strange fad (because it's nothing more than that) and think what the hell were we all thinking?

Nothing wrong with bigger bums, but realistic ones should be appreciated (Shakira for example) instead of extreme ones like Iggys. When you actually think about it, it's a very strange fad to have bums which make you look like you're wearing a nappy.

I'd much rather have a smaller and more shapely one like Shakiras any day over a Kim K one, don't know about you guys.
username1504459
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You think the fad concerns massive butts? :confused:
It seems to be more about shapely butts tbh
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love a woman with a big booty, you and your mum probs have flat bums and are now butthurt (pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by jedanselemyia)
You think the fad concerns massive butts? :confused:
It seems to be more about shapely butts tbh
Then explain the celebs I mentioned.
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by T.I.P)
I love a woman with a big booty, you and your mum probs have flat bums and are now butthurt (pun intended)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're the sad git obsessed with Kim K?

Do you really think that bothers me? Some random on the Internet has said me and my mam has a flat bum, oh the pain!

Get over yourself hun, that means nothing at all to me.
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Are you trying to justify your small buttocks here?
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Twinpeaks)
You're the sad git obsessed with Kim K?

Do you really think that bothers me? Some random on the Internet has said me and my mam has a flat bum, oh the pain!

Get over yourself hun, that means nothing at all to me.
I care not, you made a post so you should expect opinions.. dont get so butthurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1504459
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Then explain the celebs I mentioned.
Iggy Azalea isn't generally liked in the media so I don't see people praising her butt.
But both are pretty irrelevant in this fad, J. Lo is the big booty goddess.
Yeah dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah but big asses are too rad to ignore! ;p ;p
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by T.I.P)
I care not, you made a post so you should expect opinions.. dont get so butthurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make a post of substance then, rather than commenting on my physical appearance when you have no idea what I look like. It's a little pointless is it not. Also try and write properly, better yourself.
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Make a post of substance then, rather than commenting on my physical appearance when you have no idea what I look like. It's a little pointless is it not. Also try and write properly, better yourself.
You commented on other people so Im commenting on you. And I said "probs" btw so not fact. Smh

Posted from TSR Mobile
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well they're features which we are programmed to be attracted to as they symbolize health and fertility. Because guys are attracted to said features, girls will make an attempt at gaining them to thus attract guys.

What's your point though?
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Black Cat)
Are you trying to justify your small buttocks here?
We've all got small bums in comparison to Kim K, unless we are considerably overweight. That's the point I'm making, it's unrealistic.

When you're an adult like myself you can just ignore this bs, but for the younger generation they'd just develop more body anxieties. You've got to be skinny with a big arse. Good luck to them I suppose.
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by High Stakes)
Well they're features which we are programmed to be attracted to as they symbolize health and fertility. Because guys are attracted to said features, girls will make an attempt at gaining them to thus attract guys.

What's your point though?
Did you read my OP thoroughly?

A shapely, bigger bum is considered attractive yes. But a massive one is just a fad. A very recent one at that, so it's nothing to do with being evolutionary advantageous.

My point is it generates unrealistic body anxieties for younger people. And it's this notion that celebrities are these God like creatures with bodies that no one else can aspire to, which is rubbish because it's fake.
Odd socks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nikki Minaj is gorgeous though :love:

these trends come and go, 10 years ago it was all about being skinny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by T.I.P)
You commented on other people so Im commenting on you. And I said "probs" btw so not fact. Smh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but that's a bit pointless though isn't it. When you haven't seen me

This video sums it up-http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2014/oct/17/idiot-guide-female-pop-star-2014-video
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of celebrities have had large bums for years (Jlo, Beyonce, Kim K), it's just recently that the trend has got bigger.
I think big bums are gorgeous
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you read my OP thoroughly?

A shapely, bigger bum is considered attractive yes. But a massive one is just a fad. A very recent one at that, so it's nothing to do with being evolutionary advantageous.

My point is it generates unrealistic body anxieties for younger people. And it's this notion that celebrities are these God like creatures with bodies that no one else can aspire to, which is rubbish because it's fake.
That's true but a thread on a student forum won't change anything, nor is it in your right to tell people what they should do with their bodies.

Sure it does set unrealistic standards, but I would argue that the media has been doing this for years and years, ranging from breasts to size 0 clothes. Having a big butt will always be desired and if you're really afraid it's going to cause social angst to younger people you should argue that educating young people on being happy with their own bodies would more ideal than ranting about a trend which you deem a fad.

Also it would still be an "evolutionary" advantage (although it is not genetic so I wouldn't . Getting these "big butts" is a form of behaviour aimed at making the person more attractive and thus increasing their chances of mating, and so they can pass their genetics down to their offspring.
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes but that's a bit pointless though isn't it. When you haven't seen me

This video sums it up-http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2014/oct/17/idiot-guide-female-pop-star-2014-video
I said probs... Like saying Arsenal will probs beat Chelsea next week, I havent seen the game but Im guessing they will.. so hush your gums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Odd socks)
Nikki Minaj is gorgeous though :love:

these trends come and go, 10 years ago it was all about being skinny

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you seen latests interviews with her? Her face looks awful, she's had so much done to it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (47)
32.19%
No I don't (68)
46.58%
I work during the holidays (31)
21.23%

Watched Threads