About to firm Warwick. Anyone want to stop me? Watch

a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im about to firm Warwick for Mathematics with Statistics and put Bath as my insurance. Any reason to swap these two round or reject them outright?
ItsWhiteHat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Maths, you can't really go wrong with Warwick.
Kurtsz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just do it dude! i firmed Warwick for Maths and stats a couple of day ago, see you there!
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a96clark)
Im about to firm Warwick for Mathematics with Statistics and put Bath as my insurance. Any reason to swap these two round or reject them outright?
I have a similar situation choosing between Warwick and Bath for maths and physics. Accomodation for Bath opens on the 13th I think, so if you firm Bath you should do it before then.

I think the thing to do is firm Warwick, but I have the same reluctance as you.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No reason, go for it.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Go for it
LutherVan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Maths, good choice.
Bambi30
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live in Bath and absolutely love the city but Warwick looks just as historical and pretty so either one would be a good choice if you're at all bothered about the location.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick is a solid bet.
welcometoib
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bambi30)
I live in Bath and absolutely love the city but Warwick looks just as historical and pretty so either one would be a good choice if you're at all bothered about the location.
warwick currently looks like an absolute dump, construction work everywhere and ground ripped up, was meant to be done in september, yes last september.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Location wise Bath wins - Warwick is in the middle of nowhere! Bath has a solid maths reputation - Warwick is trying too hard (and failing) to be Oxbridge.

Which one did you like best when you visited? Liking the place you are living in for three plus years is important.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Location wise Bath wins - Warwick is in the middle of nowhere! Bath has a solid maths reputation - Warwick is trying too hard (and failing) to be Oxbridge.

Which one did you like best when you visited? Liking the place you are living in for three plus years is important.
Warwick is roughly 30 minutes by train from Birmingham, the UK's 2nd or 3rd largest city.

Warwick is based in Coventry, which itself is a city.

Bath is based in Bath. Coventry is more than 3 times bigger than Bath.

How can you state Warwick is "in the middle of nowhere"? And Bath is not?

What solid Maths reputation does Bath have, which Wariwick does not have? And does not exceed?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LutherVan)
Warwick is maximum roughly 30 minutes by train from Birmingham, the UK's 2nd or 3rd largest city.

Warwick is based in Coventry, which itself is a city.

Bath is based in Bath. Coventry is more than 3 times bigger than Bath.

How can you state it is "in the middle of nowhere"? And Bath is not?

What solid Maths reputation does Bath have, which Wariwick does not have? And does not exceed?
Warwick campus is not in Warwick - have you actually been there? My students describe Warwick campus as 'in the middle of a field' which indeed it is.

Warwick maths is over-rated - I am a maths teacher and do know 'reputations' and their truth.
Penniall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whilst Bath just won an award for highest student satisfaction, Warwick's is considerably lower, I have visited both and personally I much prefer Bath's campus (Warwick's is very isolated). Plus, Bath has been voted the best in the country for its industrial links and it is very good for sport. Although you'll have a great time at whichever one you choose and both will provide you with a successful future.
a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's too far to walk into Warwick from where the campus is - you've clearly NEVER been there. In a field is in the middle of nowhere as far as students are concerned ... noone should have to rely on a car to get anywhere civilised outside the uni.

My opinion on Warwick being over-rated (and where did I say worse than Bath? No, I didn't you made that bit up) is due to looking at course content. I also have many students who've been to both and they do talk to me after they leave school. I'm also involved in UCAS applications. What exactly are your qualifications on judging between maths courses?
OP here!

i went to visit a few weeks ago and it's not that much in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town is a five minute walk away, which for fit young being like us students is fine!
Please could you expand on how Warwick is overrated?

Thanks!
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bambi30)
...Warwick University isn't in Warwick...
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's too far to walk into Warwick from where the campus is - you've clearly NEVER been there. In a field is in the middle of nowhere as far as students are concerned ... noone should have to rely on a car to get anywhere civilised outside the uni.
Too far to walk?

And what relevance is that considering you can get a vehicle (private car or bus) to be where you want to be within a reasonable amount to of time?

How is that 'middle of nowhere'?

When you tell people 'middle of nowhere', you are kind of giving them the impression they would be far from civilisation and socially secluded.

That is misleading. Warwick is in a city and there are sufficient residential and commercial properties just outside its perimeter to just say 'it is in the middle of nowhere'.

My opinion on Warwick being over-rated (and where did I say worse than Bath? No, I didn't you made that bit up) is due to looking at course content. I also have many students who've been to both and they do talk to me after they leave school. I'm also involved in UCAS applications. What exactly are your qualifications on judging between maths courses?
Then you tried to mislead by omission or bias then.

Saying Warwick is overrated and then Bath has a solid Maths reputation can mislead many youths applying to university.

Warwick is better than Bath for Maths.

It produces better research and has a superior reputation.

How do I know or judge?

I read about the outcomes of experts that have done detailed and comprehensive assessments, like the REF 2014. I also observe anecdoctal evidence and reason through the evidence to complete the picture.

I have to say, I think the work of the REF assessors is more reliable than your approach and sources.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP here!

i went to visit a few weeks ago and it's not that much in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town is a five minute walk away, which for fit young being like us students is fine!
Please could you expand on how Warwick is overrated?

Thanks!
It's further than five minutes to any shops ... I've stayed there.

I say over-rated because they are constantly trying to up offers and my ex-students have not been impressed by the teaching/course options. Possibly because we offer any A level module they want to study ... Students who've gone to Bath have all been happy and several have done post-grad study there.

Which place did you like best OP? That is the key question as you have to live there.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LutherVan)
Too far to walk?

And what relevance is that considering you can get a vehicle (private car or bus) to be where you want to be within a reasonable amount to of time?

How is that 'middle of nowhere'?

When you tell people 'middle of nowhere', you are kind of giving them the impression they would be far from civilisation and socially secluded.

That is misleading. Warwick is in a city and there are sufficient residential and commercial properties just outside its perimeter to just say 'it is in the middle of nowhere'.

Then you tried to mislead by omission or bias then.

Saying Warwick is overrated and then Bath has a solid Maths reputation can mislead many youths applying to university.

Warwick is better than Bath for Maths.

It produces better research and has a superior reputation.

How do I know or judge?

I read about the outcomes of experts that have done detailed and comprehensive assessments, like the REF 2014. I also observe anecdoctal evidence and reason through the evidence to complete the picture.

I have to say, I think the work of the REF assessors is more reliable than you approach and sources.
I see you are known on here for not answering questions and spelling is somewhat suspect too.

I will not 'feed the troll' any longer.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I see you are known on here for not answering questions and spelling is somewhat suspect too.

I will not 'feed the troll' any longer.
How are your questions relevant to facts?

How are your questions relevant to which between Bath and Warwick is more reputable for Maths?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads