The Student Room Group

How effective is my revision technique for law?

I have 4 modules to revise for, each having 25 lectures and 9 tutorials. I have attended most tutorials but my lecture notes are rubbish. Here goes my genius plan:

- Listen to 6 lectures per day to be done with all of them in two weeks, handwriting notes in the process.
- Skim through assigned tutorial reading on corresponding lecture topics and write model answers to all tutorial questions (consulting resources if necessary)
- Rewrite lecture notes again and again and again until my hands literally can't take it or I can recite the whole thing like a parrot
- Make flashcards on key cases nearer the exam period
- Pray for the best even though I'm non-religious

What do you think?
Reply 1
You're learning to parrot notes, you're not learning to think for yourself, a skill which is imperative in law.
For difficult courses, this is not enough.

I'd suggest to rewrite the lecture notes in your own words in chapters, and outline each chapter. Put in your background reading there as well.

This is the (mini-)textbook method and Cal Newport has a good post about it http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/06/23/monday-master-class-conquer-complicated-material-with-the-mini-textbook-method/
Original post by LukeyJB
You're learning to parrot notes, you're not learning to think for yourself, a skill which is imperative in law.

I know, but the thing is I am mostly focused on passing my exams in June at the moment. This is very shortsighted but I have no other choice.
Original post by SecretDuck
For difficult courses, this is not enough.

I'd suggest to rewrite the lecture notes in your own words in chapters, and outline each chapter. Put in your background reading there as well.

This is the (mini-)textbook method and Cal Newport has a good post about it http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/06/23/monday-master-class-conquer-complicated-material-with-the-mini-textbook-method/

That is actually what I am doing. Rewriting everything verbatim will only improve my hand muscles, not my legal knowledge. For each topic first I listen to the lectures, then go through the tutorial readings making succinct outlines, and then try and tackle tutorial questions referring to my own notes.

Quick Reply

Latest