gcse latin grammar Watch

colback98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
for gcse latin do I need to learn the case endings? I understand that each noun has a declension, and the endings of each case depend on the declension, so is it a good idea to remember the declension anoun is in aswell?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by colback98)
for gcse latin do I need to learn the case endings? I understand that each noun has a declension, and the endings of each case depend on the declension, so is it a good idea to remember the declension anoun is in aswell?
How will you translate it or understand it if you don't know the case endings?
ellie98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't learnt the declension of each noun
But I would recommend maybe remembering the neuter nouns because their plural can look like the singular in the masculine and feminine, for example, templum is templa in the plural
but other than that I'm just learning the masculine, feminine and neuter noun endings and then hoping that it will be obvious in the text how they are supposed to be translated

hope this helps
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of course you need to know the endings. It's not just good -it's required by the specification. Not understanding the case of a noun is a recipe for a bad grade.

Even people who know the declensions cannot sometimes differentiate between the subject and the object. Not knowing them at all would mean that you cannot figure anything out.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You will need to learn the declension each noun is in since if you look at different cases from different declensions some of them are similar/ identical so you won't know which case they are unless you know which declension they're supposed to be in.

It's relatively easy anyway, sometimes you can guess from the nominative ending I seem to remember... Haven't done any Latin in four years though so can't really remember the details.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.39%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.31%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (97)
17.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (82)
15.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (165)
30.39%

Watched Threads